Hurricane Isaac

158 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:37pm
El Gordo
-
Central Texas, TX

Bring it on

A good hurricane blowing up the Mississippi River would help recharge water supplies and relieve drought conditions inland. If you are interested in facts, Katrina had already blown over and the all clear had been sounded in NOLA before someone noticed that the levees had been breached and the politicians had already stolen all the money designated for their maintenance and repair. Just need to know if they were properly repaired or if the taxpayers were scammed again. Hurricanes get their fuel from the heat of the water underneath. They take that heat and disburse it about 40,000 feet where the OAT is about 50 below zero, so that's Mother Nature's way of dealing with global warming. All in all, hurricanes are a good thing and do not get the proper respect that they deserve.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:39pm waxybilldupp
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

@wax

a big part of the reason the evac of nola preceding katrina wasn't handled better is that a large part of the population of nola is dirt poor, and katrina struck at the end of the month. if a nola ghetto-dweller had wanted to take a cross-town bus, he would have had to panhandle to raise the money. the entitlement checks for the largest part come out at the first of the month, and it's time to pay the rent and the bills, and party with what's left.

evacuate? in whose car? using what to pay for gas? take an intercity bus? i imagine all the seats were sold out, and besides, that costs money. the urban underclass has no reserve funds for emergencies. they have no concept of delayed gratification or savings. that's to a large degree why they're the underclass. those individuals who were capable of planning further than their next beer left the day before katrina got there. the sad truth is that there are a lot of people who are not capable of that kind of planning, that kind of responsibility, that kind of self reliance.

the fact that it is the system that has made them that way is the reason i quit being a social worker years ago. we, as a nation, have taught the underclass to be just what it is.

if you have a dog and you spank him every time he shits in the yard, while giving him a treat every time he shits in the house, pretty soon, your house will begin to smell like dogshit. likewise, if you have citizens who are given entitlements every time they act irresponsibly, but are taxed when they are productive, you should not be surprised that the economy smells like dogshit.

treefrog land and cattle co.
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:42pm
thecoloredsky
-
NC

I saw a ZH comment this

I saw a ZH comment this weekend that UK, France and US agreed to release oil reserves. Maybe the run up might be short lived?

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 8:03pm treefrog
waxybilldupp
-
Flyover land

@treefrog

Yeah, I guessed that a big issue was lack of funds and transportation for many folks. Nevertheless, as I recall, if there was an evacuation warning, it was literally hours before the SHTF. I was just baffled why no one down there couldn't seem to see what was coming 24 hours or more before it happened and said, "Get the hell out of Dodge, folks!"

My conspiratorial mind tells me that lots of folks were sacrificed, knowing the Federal money pool would be deeper with more fatalities. "If it bleeds it leads" .... better news coverage! One hell of a way to run a city (or country, for that matter). Seems like, up here, we get 48-72 hours warning if we might get 3" of snow. Different strokes.

Wax off
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 8:05pm
145Bluesman

Edit

pretty much covered by comments above....

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 8:11pm
steveo
-
Melbourne, FL

Being that there are any

Being that there are any number of black swans out there, it seems clear to me that doing some degree of preparation to handle unexpecteds ranging from a 4 days mini weather disaster to as extreme as TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it).

So I made this list, in Excel, intended to be used as both a checklist and an assessment. Feel free to download it in Excel and use it, improve it, mod it, send it back with new ideas.

What would be really cool would be additional links to resources for some items on that list. Comments appreciated.

https://oahutrading.blogspot.com/2012/08/prep-work.html

There are those who depend on your dependency
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 8:11pm
steveo
-
Melbourne, FL

Being that there are any

Being that there are any number of black swans out there, it seems clear to me that doing some degree of preparation to handle unexpecteds ranging from a 4 days mini weather disaster to as extreme as TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it).

So I made this list, in Excel, intended to be used as both a checklist and an assessment. Feel free to download it in Excel and use it, improve it, mod it, send it back with new ideas.

What would be really cool would be additional links to resources for some items on that list. Comments appreciated.

https://oahutrading.blogspot.com/2012/08/prep-work.html

There are those who depend on your dependency
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 8:45pm steveo
maravich44

Turd Tunes.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 8:56pm
TexasStacker
-
TX

Computer Model update

HWRF model has now joined the BAMM suite in trendingg westward towards TX/

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:04pm TF
Dyna mo hum

evacuation

Folks in Grand Isle have been told to evacuate. I wonder if storm is predicted to make landfall at high tide? Hell I was in NOLA Friday afternoon and its good to be 600 miles north now. A storm surge at high tide is not good.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:08pm
Fired

At the rate the models are drifting...

.. it will be CAT 3+ and Houston by the time it hits.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:09pm
Patrancus

the imortal Doc Watson

and "Deep River Blues"

Doc Watson-Deep River Blues
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:24pm
TexasStacker
-
TX

@fired

Please note that what you posted is only one model, the GFS ensamble. Having said that, GFS has done well the last few seasons and its yet another model pointing towards Texas.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:29pm
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

first spiral band

first spiral band appearing on local doppler radar, lower right of image. i guess we'll have rain and blustery winds off and on for a while.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:47pm
single6

the big easy was lazy last time

Let see if they have learned anything.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:51pm
Kuchek
-
Saint Cloud, MN

High Water everywhere.

High Water (for Charley Patton) - Bob Dylan

This album dropped on 9/11. His new one Tempest does as well. Some prolific lyrics if you like Bob. "Coffins dropping in the street like balloons made outta lead." Crazy times lay ahead.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:53pm

This is NOT encouraging

Looks like it is beginning to close in and form an eye.

Tomorrow could be a day of rapid intensification.

https://ready.arl.noaa.gov/ready2-bin/javaanim.pl?id=GFS&mdl=grads/gfs&file=panel2&nplts=31&width=800&height=700

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:55pm
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

pepper prepping

it looks like avery island may take a hit. will this impact the tabasco pepper crop? will there be a panic run on the iconic sauce? is the future of the bloody mary at risk?

fortunately i have several tabasco pepper bushes just now nearing ripeness (well outside the projected storm path). anybody who wants to have their own supply, send me your snailmail address in a p.m. and i'll send you some seed which you can plant next spring.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 9:57pm Kuchek
maravich44

Kuchek

I will give it a listen. Thank You.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 10:03pm steveo
luv2stak

Hey steveo, Thanks For The Spreadsheet

on Prep Supplies. I printed it out. It's one of my interests. Seems like a really good start.

Under 'First Aid', I'd add 'Hydrogen Peroxide'. Kills germs, safely.

AND a Colloidal Silver Generator to make high-quality bacteria/virus/fungus killer and antiseptic. (After a lot of research, got ours from https://www.thesilveredge.com/ but have no connection with them.). PLUS steam-distilled water to make it with.

Under 'Food Production', you could add digging and gardening tools like a tiller (if gas is available), shovels, bags of minerals and fertilizer. MiracleGro stores well and compactly. And cayenne pepper seeds (see above post!by treefrog with a generous offer) --because cayenne is The King of Herbology. A big teaspoon in a glass of water or under the tongue is claimed to be able to stop a heart attack b/c it blasts blood thru the vessels. Plus many many other uses.

And grain and seeds specifically for Sprouting -- almost anyone can raise quick nutritious sprouts on a windowsill, much faster than gardening, and very health promoting.

Oh, and catsup. Organic if possible (concentrating tomatos concentrates any pesticides present...) Can eat just about anything with enough catsup on it.

Contribute

Donate Shop

Forum Discussion

by AGXIIK, Oct 20, 2019 - 5:58pm
by SteveW, Oct 20, 2019 - 4:09pm
by Solsson, Oct 20, 2019 - 12:30pm
by sierra skier, Oct 20, 2019 - 11:30am
by Green Lantern, Oct 20, 2019 - 8:17am
randomness