Hurricane Isaac

158 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:19pm (Reply to #19)
BagOfGold
-
The Universe
XX

Big L...

Big L wrote:

Our plan is: be prepared, (Prepping!) then sit tight and watch closely for the changes as they develop. No sense in getting overly excited too early (assuming you're prepared), be cool and wait for about the 24 hr window.

That's about all I can tell you about living with hurricanes, other than buy one of those camping sunshower things as one of your preps. Living without a shower in 90 degree heat and 90 percent humidity gets real old real fast when you don't have water for a bath, and you won't want to use your drinking water to clean up.

I'll gladly eat cold beans out of can for dinner, if I can just get a quick shower and clean clothes once a day.

God Bless all those folks in the north gulf coast. We'll be keeping them in our thoughts and our prayers.

Hopefully...you will have laundry detergent...if not...there is not enough time to make some!...However...Treefrog's homemade laundry detergent is great & easy enough to make (keep in mind for later)!...Also... scroll down further...& you will see my simple...handy dandy manual washing machine!...

https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/what-was-your-prep-today/47?page=10

Being without the "electrical neccessities...doesn't mean you have to go dirty!...

Please stay safe!!!...

Bag Of Gold

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:21pm
Strongsidejedi

Comparison to Katrina is remarkable

The comparison the Katrina ground track prediction on 8-26-2005 (exactly 7 years ago) is remarkable!

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:23pm
Strongsidejedi

Katrina prediction map from late on August 26, 2005

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:25pm
Strongsidejedi

Discussion board prediction map on Isaac

Another discussion board (see above) has a person who just posted this map for Isaac.

Note that the models are now converging for the first time in the last 36 hours.

In looking at the IR satellite photo, the storm is obviously gaining in organization and rotation.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:41pm

5:00 EDT advisory

Pressure has fallen some more. Now 992mb. Last was 994.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:44pm
treefrog
-
Xanadu, FL

the best time to prep

the best time to start prepping for a hurricane is when you put in the foundations for your house (in my case, 1984). the second best time is today.

treefrog land and cattle co.
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:47pm
Gramp
-
New England

Water Vapor Loop of Whats Brewing...

~ Even a dead Fish can go with the flow ~
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 5:56pm
Loud Noises
-
Nashville, TN

On the ground

Been hanging out at home most of the day with Issac hitting here just north of Ft. Lauderdale. Nothing bad, just the occasional heavy wind and rain. I took a walk out to the beach earlier to take some pictures. Its funny because so far I've seen more excitement out my window than the weather channel is showing on tv. But still no worse than a spring storm up north. I hope that those on the gulf coast make decisions and take action now for a storm that may not be as much of a walk in the park in a few days.

Honestly though, if you are prepped for other situations, you are 99% prepped for a hurricane. Other than Cat4/5, which I would be leaving town for. Stay safe my friends...

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 6:01pm
Terp
-
Alexandria, VA

Thoughts on hurricane and grains

So they’ve been having to dredge the Mississippi Delta just to get “some” traffic through (grains/oil). A few questions for you guys/gals

What do you think this hurricane will do to all the work they’ve done to dredge paths in the delta – obviously destroy them, but do you think new, larger channels will open up from excess water – or spread the mud and make it impassable again?

And, if it becomes impassable again, what do you expect that to do to grain prices? It will be harder to export them = higher prices… but it will also create a glut where the numbers are counted = lower prices (temporarily)?

Any thoughts are welcome – I’m still a noob at trading grains… and I only have three mini-corns so no big loss or gain either way ;)

p.s. I don’t mean to be insensitive with these questions – I know a lot of damage and harm can come from this hurricane. Rahm and Hillary told me to take advantages of situations like this.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread – it’s half-way related ;)

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 6:34pm
Jeremiah Jr
-
Babylon USA

Who is Isaac?

One cannot correctly understand the Middle East and the coming conflict and global wars between the Arab and Muslim nations and the Jews unless one understands the Bible.

Abraham is both the progenitor of both the Jewish and Arabs nation.

The seeds of promise flows through Abraham to Isaac, then to Jacob/Israel.

Lets you think Jj has has too much coffee, Hurricane Isaac is about to hit the US just after out beloved leader BHO signed the 'Enhanced Security agreement' with Israel on the 9 th of Av. (July 27th -28th)

In Isaac is the seed of promise Gen 21:12, Gen 35:12, Gal 4:28.

Why Isaac, why now?? ..... Like the Oracle say's in the movie the Matrix..... "I am sure it is just a coincidence, you don't believe in any of the fate crap, now do you? ..........just have a cookie and when you leave here you will feel right as rain".

Trouble is coming Turdites, and right soon, it should be bullish for PM's but please don't place your hope in them. They will help in the short run only, that's all. Proverbs 11:4

I am a currently a Tampa Turdite and I agree with Turd, Having been though several of these they are nothing to toy with, please consider leaving if you are in the path. Good luck and best wished to all.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 6:35pm
Fired

All current models pointing

All current models pointing to LA coast line just south of NOLA but the spread is wide from the Florida border to eastern Texas. Hopefully it won't be CAT3 when it hits.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 6:44pm
LongGoldLongSilver

I Hope You Will Be Fine

I hope all of you will be fine. Make sure you prepare yourselves as much as possible. Sending some thoughts from NZ...

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 6:59pm
TexasStacker
-
TX

Keeping a close eye in Houston

Models have consistently been moving west over last 24 hours. High pressure over Texas eroding. Weaker system less likely to take turn to northeast. Weaker system also less likely to be influenced by midwest low pressure trough. BAMM suite of models predicting Texas landfall. Not ready to sound the alarm yet but storm is large and deepening so lots of people along upper gulf coast will feel effects, whether we landfall in mobile, nawlins, or lake charles. I'll periodically add my thoughts, but if it eventually does landfall in Texas you heard it here first.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:01pm
Eric Original

Great/Important Thread

Dr. Jeff at Wunderground has always been my "go to" guy for hurricanes.

I don't see a dedicated thread yet at The Oil Drum, but I'm sure there will be. When we start talking oil/gas locations, shutdowns, refineries, pipelines, etc, The Oil Drum is usually on top of it like nobody else.

https://www.theoildrum.com/

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:13pm
waxybilldupp
-
Flyover land

Katrina redux?

I remember following Katrina on wunderground.com as it churned thru the Gulf. Biggest damn hurricane I ever paid attention to. Sitting here in northern flyoverland, hurricanes, for me, are like watching a slow-motion train wreck. All we get to deal with are tornados. Run and duck and hope for the best - over in 15 minutes.

What fascinated me, in a morbid kind of way, was that I could see that NO was going to be absolutely hammered. It was obvious! Could see it coming for 36-48 hours before it happened, yet there was no real effort to evacuate. I couldn't figure out what the locals were using for weather reporting. Couldn't understand why nobody could make a decision. I'd like to hope that TPTB in and around NO have learned something if Isaac does indeed head their way. Head north, folks. Make a decision. Don't wait for the City Council to save you. Just my $0.02 (used to be a $1.00 in 1912 before the FED was created.)

Wax off
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:18pm
harlan07
-
MS

I've lived on the MS coast

I've lived on the MS coast for 30 years. Every hurricane should be taken seriously, especially if you live in a low lying area, and especially New Orleans. You should always be prepared for a storm - starting in May. Just like we don't wait till the end of the experiment to stack.

But there isn't any reason at the present to hype this as another Katrina. A cat 3 direct hit or a MS coast hit isn't going to be serious for New Orleans.

That Forbes piece has people FREAKING OUT. Gas, water, diapers, batteries - selling out in Gulfport, MS

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:19pm (Reply to #35)
Fired

Eric

Current predictions have Isaac going smack through the Gulf Oil Belt and making landfall near the LOOP. I am surprised that The Oil Drum has not started covering it.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:19pm
silver foil hat

I'll take contrarian forecasts for $2000, Alex

Landfall west of NOLA, strong TS winds and flooding, but not extreme, with marginal CAT1 winds remaining offshore.

It will rain itself out through TX, OK and SE NE.

But, never let a good crisis go to waste, watch those gas and oil prices spike just ahead of QE3!

Hi Fiattack! The FED is a benevolent non-profit organization with the interests of the American People placed ahead of its own!
Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:30pm
Urban Roman
-
Jollyville

It's probably worth noting

.. that Rita was the one that tossed oil platforms around like arugula in a salad bowl.

Katrina was famous for sinking New Orleans, but right on its trail was a more compact and organized and powerful storm, which plowed right through the Gulf off of Texas and Louisiana. Rita, for which they evacuated Houston, but which did a lot more damage offshore than it did in the city (mostly because, ahem, Houston is actually above sea level).

Yeah, between that, Chavez' refinery fire, and maybe a scuffle in Hormuz, get ready for $5 gas.

Sun, Aug 26, 2012 - 7:31pm (Reply to #38)
Eric Original

I am too. btw, does anyone

I am too.

btw, does anyone have a current read on the location of the Loop Current?

fyi, the Loop Current is a flow of warmer water that strengthens hurricanes considerably if they go over it. Here is some background:

https://www.wwltv.com/news/Loop-current-167382495.html

https://www.loe.org/shows/segments.html?programID=05-P13-00038&segmentID=1

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.
randomness