Tue, May 1, 2012 - 2:15am
I think I've decided the best thing but thought I'd see if anyone had better idea(s). 25k coming for 2010 & 2011 tax refunds (nit likely to happen again, ever)
Debt: - 360k on 30yr (26) house ('valued' at 410 by zillow, no recent appraisal yet) @ 4.25
- 24k on 25yr student loan @ 6.45 (UHEAA)
- 40k on 30yr student loan @ 7.25 (just bought by discover)
- 10k on a few cards at 0%
- own 2002 ford escape with 180k+ (takes good care of me) 1) I think the best course is to pay off the 24k std loan and roll those payments into the 40k.
2) Other thoughts are to spend about 5k on food storage, stoves, water filters, and other 'assets'
3) potentially get a HELOC and move as much of the non-dischargeable debt into the house and sink as much of the 25k into preparedness items. If TSHTF leave the debt behind. I think the main thing I'm wrestling with is what the he'll good will it do to pay down debt which seems will only get cheaper, assuming I have enough to last thru the draw down (I.e. Loss of purchasing power).
Edited by: enliven on Nov 8, 2014 - 5:06am