i know what you are thinking....is this dOOd reaLLy paying OVER melt for these things, i mean WAY over melt...yep. i would like to hear from someone, anyone who has or is working on this set. my set has two coins in it. 1880 S and 1881 S ms 64 from NGC. i am going NGC and ms64.
morgan silver doLLars
Not to complete a set or anything , I just like graded coins for my own stash. I have and will buy every morgan that I come across where I can get it at melt. This used to be easy pickins, not so much any more, as I have watched morgans continue to rise in fiat.
I have a set of 3 O morgans that I know some kid ripped from grandpas collection I bought at a pawnshop last year that are BU uncirculated and have very little bag marks. I hope they will grade 63, if not 64. I have quite a few more that will grade, and that is saying allot for coins of that age.
One day I will get around to sending them off, until then I will continue buying graded one's at 50-70 frns, one at a time.
At least if the world doesn't collapse these coins will continue to rise in value, as they have been stagnated in value these recent years by the PM rise. With all the melting over the last 30 years , this is a no brainer in terms of return for collecting.
Looking for some input from fellow collectors on a subject I've been struggling with.
I have some coins with numismatic value acquired before my "awakening" of the value of stacking bullion. Sometimes I feel that I should sell them now and purchase more bullion, before TSHF. At other times I feel that I should wait, in case TSHF takes longer than expected to maximize my profit. I guess it's the same dilemma as timing the "bottoms". None of my numismatic coins are worth more than 4 figures but I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on this. Thanks in advance.
Thanks for your input. I should clarify that the 4 figure coins I have encompass "sets", such as 25th Anniv. Silver Eagle MS70/PF70 FS PCGS. I do watch the prices on NGC and PCGS price guides.
My major concern is waiting too long to get these prices. If the SHTF, I don't see a Proof 70 ASE bringing any more buying power than a "normal" ASE. Of course, if the S doesn't HTF then the aforementioned coin would be more desirable.
Thanks again for your post survivalwstyle!
I do have a "mix" of bullion vs numismatics. Currently about 70% bullion/30% numismatics. Just trying to decide which I would rather have. Like I said, it comes down to the timeframe for the SHTF:)
Are what my Numies are for.............If the SHTF, I hope I will never need to touch my numismatics.
These are for what comes after.....if everybody is melting theirs during, how much does that leave on the market in the new beginning's. A 70/30 is a very good ratio IMO as Clinkin stated.
This is why I like to buy the Numies, so much has been melted since 1980 and continues today, there will come a time when the market really gets thin in finding these as I am starting to see now.
Once these coins are melted, they are gone forever.