I've been mostly silent on this issue of Rush Limbaugh calling Susan Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute" but I'll share a few thoughts here.
1) Susan Fluke was lying when she made it out like contraception costs $3,000/year. I'm a woman and:
a) any child-bearing age woman who is being honest with herself knows it doesn't cost that much
b) we know of places to get it for cheap or free
c) if you are in a monogamous relationship your partner should be chipping in for it anyway!!, which brings me to:
d) if you aren't in a monogamous relationship and you are not using condoms, you are an idiot...which brings me to my most important point:
e) MOST MEN BRING THEIR OWN CONDOMS and the ones that don't aren't worth their salt anyway...so you don't even have to pay for anything!! Duh!!
But are we having that conversation? No, we are not. And why is that? Because...
2) RUSH TOOK THE BAIT. Rush was a total idiot for taking the Democratic bait on this one. He took an issue, which should have been a non-issue, and turned it into a circus with an extremely poor choice of words. HE BIT INTO THE BAIT. He could have used softer language, or just said that Fluke was "acting like a prostitute" - which is still not great, but not the epithet that SLUT is.
3) Many women, particularly those on the left, see the word SLUT as something akin to "nigger." His use of it totally fueled their fire and provided "proof" the conservatives are misogynists.
4) The left will now, up until the election, use Rush's thoughtless words to agitate women, particularly moderate women, that the Republicans hate women, want to remove their contraception, and are out to force women out of the workforce to become stay-at-home-moms (OR WORSE!!)
5) Any conservative who stomps his feet and demands his right to stand up against political correctedness is totally playing into this tactic - they are in effect "proving" how insensitive conservatives are.
6) YOU are helping Obama get re-elected if you fall for this crap.
Now. Some women, such as myself, have figured out that the Democrats really don't care about women - they just want us as a voting bloc. But they have been extremely successful in brainwashing the majority of women in America that conservatives are misogynists. YOU need to be smarter than that and STOP playing into their hands with this callous, stupid language. YOU need to let conservative women like Sarah Palin talk about these issues, and men like Limbaugh need to SHUT UP because they are doing more harm than good.
You want to know how you will lose the election? You will lose it by losing women. It's that simple.
I've been shaking my head ever since Rush came out with that stupid commentary. If Obama wins re-election, it will seriously be Rush's fault. I am not exaggerating. WOMEN will make the difference this year, not men, WOMEN. So you better change your strategy fast, or you will LOSE.