Welcome to the updated TF Metals Report! We hope you enjoy the new experience.

We've changed payment processors, so any existing renewals will need to be re-subscribed after expiration. You will receive an email when this happens. If you have any questions, send a message through the Contact page.

APMEX now collecting county info and tax?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Tue, Feb 7, 2012 - 10:05pm
Thieving Corp.
-
Washington, DC

APMEX now collecting county info and tax?

Haven't used them for a while, as I have found better prices elsewhere. Yet they do have a good selection of interesting/quirky gift items. So I just went over, logged on and added a couple of items and supplies to the cart and started checking out. The first strange thing was that it complained the address was missing county information. Fine, so I enter it. Then on the final page I see this not insignificant amount as "Tax:". WTF? I don't remember ever paying tax before. Is this something new or am I just imagining things? Anyway, I cancelled the order and will look elsewhere. But I'm curious if anyone still uses APMEX, when did this start? And if this is a trend that may eventually spread to other online dealers?

Edited by: Thieving Corp. on Nov 8, 2014 - 5:13am
Wed, Feb 8, 2012 - 2:21am
bernard
-
Vancouver

APMEX is one of my least

APMEX is one of my least favorite dealers, in terms of pricing / ship time, but they do have good selection of some products other bullion dealers don't stock.

I believe the new tax is because APMEX is now shipping from the East Coast if you are on the East Coast as opposed to their Oklahoma City warehouse. 

Was your order under $1500? 

Wed, Feb 8, 2012 - 12:16pm
Over55

Its because they opened a

Its because they opened a shipping office in NY state. So all NY state residents now have to pay tax.

Wed, Feb 8, 2012 - 8:12pm
Thieving Corp.
-
Washington, DC

I see. Buh-bye APMEX.

I see.

Buh-bye APMEX.

Mon, Feb 13, 2012 - 2:06pm (Reply to #4)
APMEX_Official
-
New York, NY

Clarification from APMEX

Hi there, I am an APMEX representative and I just wanted to provide you with a little more info about your question. For domestic orders there is no sales tax if we ship to other states than New York State and Oklahoma. We apply taxes for all orders shipped to Oklahoma and orders below certain thresholds and for specific products in New York State. Please call 1-800-375-9006 for specific questions.

Notice: If you do not see your new comment immediately, do not be alarmed. We are currently refreshing new comments approximately every 2 minutes to better manage performance while working on other issues. Thank you for your patience.

Become a gold member and subscribe to Turd's Vault

Contribute

Donate  Shop

The TFMR Silver Round
Buying Gold

Recent Comments

by AGXIIK, 22 min 42 sec ago
APPs ...
by Mickey, 53 min 45 sec ago
by AKA AuAgforever AIJ, 1 hour 26 sec ago
by canary, 1 hour 2 min ago
by Turd Ferguson, 1 hour 11 min ago