84 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sun, Oct 16, 2011 - 11:55am
-
Nowhere, AK

Why so much energy directed at taking out Cain? Why not Romney?

Guys, I get the whole reason for criticizing Cain. But here's my big question:

Why is so much energy being spent towards taking Cain down, when the mainstream media is clearly positioning Romney as the GOP nominee? When Romney is getting the Wall Street money? When even Perry is still raising more money than Cain is?

Cain is still a long-shot. Yet, all I've seen lately - here, as well as in the mainstream media - has been this increasingly shill and persistent effort to remove Cain from the race.

This morning I woke up and checked Google News to see what coverage they had about OWS. Nothing. But HUGE headlines about Cain allegedly having "long-time" ties to the...dum dum daaaaahhh...epitome of evil, those "dastardly" Koch brothers.

This Associated Press article - which was run in CBS, the Washington Post, and many other MSM outlets, did this "crack" investigative reporting to discover (horrors!) - that Cain has done a lot of speeches for Americans for Prosperity, which happens to have been funded by the Koch brothers.

Yes, that proves that Cain has been sitting in a secret dark room with the Kochs, plotting a corporate take-over of the world.

Does the AP similarly do a hit piece on the Smithsonian for having an actual wing named after a Koch brother? Nope.

The AP carried water for Obama in the last election, and it looks like they are doing it again this time around. Probably because Herman Cain, a strong black conservative, has a good chance at beating Obama.

So my question to you, Ron Paul fans, is...why are you also carrying water for Obama and Romney by spending so much of your energy going after Herman Cain before he's even the GOP nominee?

Cain is still a long-shot. Romney is the "chosen one." Yet, I don't see half as much effort on the part of Ron Paul people to take Romney out. And do you think Romney will do anything about the Fed? Please, he'll be Obama-lite.

Look, I get that you don't like Cain, fine. What I question is the huge grassroots effort that seems to be coming from the Ron Paul camp to discredit Cain while completely ignoring Romney, Perry and Obama.

I even see Ron Paul fans doing the Cain bashing on any article mentioning Cain. Don't see them so much elsewhere. It's almost to the point where I wonder if they aren't actually Obama agents in disguise.

I'm not saying that's the case here...but that maybe Obama's campaign is purposefully trying to keep the GOP divided and eating itself alive and thus appoint casper milque toast and non-threat Romney to the throne.

Regardless, I hope you might consider spending your considerable energies focused on the main targets - Obama and Romney - and not someone who is an unlikely nominee at this point.

Sun, Oct 16, 2011 - 12:45pm Stephanie C
maravich44

@. stephanie *If*

..Rudyard Kipling.............. PS. Great Work. Thank You. Stephen.. (St).

Sun, Oct 16, 2011 - 1:25pm Stephanie C
TPaine
-
Nunya

stephanie wrote: Why is so

stephanie wrote:

Why is so much energy being spent towards taking Cain down, when the mainstream media is clearly positioning Romney as the GOP nominee?

Simple answer: Because the Tea Party isn't falling for Romney.

To me, Cain is this cycles Obama, only on the Right this time. He has no track record, no voting record to offer as proof of his convictions, only words. One of the problems with politics in America today is that we place to much value on what politicians say. We get lied to time and time again, and every 4 years we vote in the slickest talker. Personally, I'm sick of it.

Voting for Dr. Paul in the '08 primary felt good, I was actually voting FOR somebody! (novel concept, eh?) What we're seeing today is the result of decades of settling for the "lesser of two evils"... Is Herman Cain more aligned with my principles than Obama is? Probably, marginally at best, but that doesn't make him worthy of my vote. I have higher aspirations than simply keeping the Dem out of office. I want to cast my for FOR someone who won't flip-flop and go back on his campaign promises. I want to restore our Constitutional Republic, fix our broken economy and allow America to be great again. To me, Ron Paul is our last/best shot at that happening.

(I'm not a nimble day-trader. Cash account, no margin and settlement periods makes swing trading more my style)
Sun, Oct 16, 2011 - 2:10pm
TPaine
-
Nunya

Also...

Following up myself...

Ron Paul's '08 campaign injected the Constitution into the discussion, as well as civil liberties and "the proper role of gov't." Opposition to endless wars, warrantless/indefinite detentions, renditions, nation building, policing the world, etc., etc... Cain has some thought on fiscal policy, but he doesn't even address monetary or foreign policy. I don't remember hearing him ever say the word "Constitution".

He's so proud of his 9-9-9 plan and adamant that it's "revenue neutral". You know what that means? That means that under Cain's plan, gov't would be spending just as much of our tax dollars as before. How's that fixin' what's broke? Washington spends our money like a drunken sailor in a whorehouse. How's Cain gonna change that?

(I'm not a nimble day-trader. Cash account, no margin and settlement periods makes swing trading more my style)
Sun, Oct 16, 2011 - 2:25pm
HB
-
CA

Herman Cain

Okay, so Cain isn't a brilliant speaker like Obama but some of his ideas seem pretty bright.

We Americans pay a huge amount of taxes with very very few 'benefits' that come back from our govmint.

In Australia a 61 year old friend of mine who is a ex-pat OZ citizen lives in an oceanfront home worth about $1.5m. He pays $2k per year in property taxes (they call it rates). He gets water, sewer and garbage collection for his $$. Here in California he would pay $about $16k a year just in property taxes. My friend pays $1,200 per year for health insurance which includes dental. I paid $22k last year for my family of 4 and not one of us went to a doctor in 2010 except for the kids two had two immunizations. The top tax rate in OZ is about the same as the USA. Another friend of mine in Oz who was born there and self employed will collect $16k per year from his govmint in two years when he turns 65. He really never paid much into their system but collect enough to live on if he moves to Bali, which he will. As a US citizen when I get to 65 I will collect just about zip.

One of the reasons the Australian system seems to work is that just about everyone in the country is there legally. On a recent trip there I saw virtually no potholes on their roads, no homeless, no illegals sponging off the citizens. Compare that to California and we look like a 3rd world country.

A VAT-like tax means that illegal aliens pay some taxes when they are in our country. Considering that California has been at least partially bankrupted from providing free education, medical services and incarceration for illegals, we can at least recoup something from them. It also would make everyone pay the same amount when purchasing things.

I think everyone in this country is sick of dealing with and living in fear of the Gestapo (IRS). A flat tax, if it actually passed, would be more fair than the sick system of taxation we have now. Personally I don't pay much in State and Fed taxes (about 5% of my gross) but I would prefer knowing what I owe each year rather than having that fear factor each year when I go see my accountant.

I like Cains idea of eliminating Estate Taxes which are extremely unfair to ALL of us.

If Buffett wants to pay more go ahead fool but please don't include me in your madness.

I don't think Cain has a snowball in hell chance but at least he's saying something different than the other candidates.

'Life's a wave, your attitude is your surfboard" Drew Kampion
Sun, Oct 16, 2011 - 6:35pm HB
CreditCrumbs

Romney

No energy for criticizing Romney? The reason is Romney is harder to pin down. He changes with time. It could be because he has no principles or he is just pragmatic. What does Romney stand for? Not easy to define. Cain is an easy target. How about this, though? Romney secretly met with Jamie Dimon not a long time ago. That troubles me. And how about him not mentioning anything about the Fed or monetary reform? What's all the silence?

But in terms of policies at face value (emphasis on "face value"), Romney has two policies that I like. One is he argues for the need for protecting technology from leaking to trade partners including China. I happen to think that outsourcing is a big problem problem structurally in our economy. We have replaced good paying manufacturing jobs with low paying service jobs. Manufacturing is export oriented, while service is not, which is one reason for why we have sustained trade deficit. Second thing is tax-free savings account for the middle class. This is good in the sense that it encourages savings (we have too much consumption at 70% GDP), and allows the middle class to accumulate wealth faster than the top 1% (helping to balance skewed income and wealth distribution).

Having said that, I judge a candidate based on whether he has integrity or not, whether he is bought or not. It matters less what a candidate says or what his party affiliation says. It matters more whose side he is fighting for. We have seen with Obama saying one thing but doing the opposite. In that regard, I only have full confidence in Ron Paul. The more MSM blacks him out, the more I know that he is not corrupted.

Mon, Oct 17, 2011 - 10:31am Stephanie C
BASEBALL 13

Re: Reply to "No, Not Blind Faith"

Stephanie,

Thank you for the blog discussion. I find it unfortunate that so many Americans who seem to agree with Dr. Ron Paul's views are so quick to dismiss him, and themselves, by saying he has no chance to win, or, as the media puts is "he is unelectable".

What kind of nation and People have we devolved into when we allow someone else to make up our minds for us? Just because a self-interested corporate group dismisses a candidate, do they represent the will of the People? This resignation of the People is exactly what has led our country to decline. When is the last time you voted for a politician and were satisfied with their performance and commitment to their campaign promises? Right now the media and TPTB are fighting behind the scenes to quell any talk about Ron Paul. The only coverage we get is either from independents or fringe groups. Dr. Paul's appeal is evident in his poll numbers - which again are totally ignored by the media. This is an important distinction - the results are not being dismissed - this would entail recognition of the results and at the same time, discounting the efficacy of the polls themselves.

Our country is at a critical crossroads and the world is about to undergo a monetary meltdown. Of the candidates who do you believe has the best grasp of monetary policy? Who do you believe will protect the People above the corporate interests?

I understand and appreciate your respect for your Father and his opinion of the Fed. However, many who exist inside a forest do not see the trees, or the light. There are millions of Americans whose consciousness (through no fault or intentional ignorance of their own) is limited to their immediate surroundings. Mr. Cain may well believe the Fed is a necessary and well-intentioned institution. The facts and basic economics indicate otherwise. Change is always difficult, but nonetheless is perpetual. The marketplace seems to have a good record of allocation albeit manipulation of the marketplace does occur. However, is government-level manipulation preferred when corporate interests are obviously being protected?

History shows us that governments go to any length to protect their interests OVER the interests of the People. Only when revolution breaks out does liberty eventually win.

Mon, Oct 17, 2011 - 11:56am
CreditCrumbs

Herminator Self Destruction

Rather than stating my opinion, I'll let this article speaks for itself. LOL.

Quote: "In at least one column, Cain seemed to condemn a proposal that is now a pillar of his highly touted 9-9-9 tax plan. On November 12, 2010, Cain wrote a column about rumors that Democrats would propose a consumption tax called a VAT. “The worst idea is a proposed national sales tax,” Cain wrote. A 9% national sales tax is now one of Cain’s three nines.

The problem, Cain argued in 2010, is that similar national sales taxes have “eventually gone up or expanded” in other countries. This argument echoes current conservative critics of 9-9-9, including Americans For Tax Reform’s Grover Norquist, who claim that enacting a national consumption tax would make the government more vulnerable to revenue-hungry bureaucrats.

The recession officially began in December 2007, according to the National Bureau of Economic Research. But in a Jan. 21, 2008, column entitled, “Recession? Spare us the National Economic Pity Party,” Cain compared fear of a downturn to a Hollywood script, and stated there was only an “economic correction, not an economic recession.” The damage would be minimal, Cain predicted, and would help downsize “overbuilt” portions of the economy while only “some consumers who have spent too much” would feel the pain.

He took a similar tack in a March 3, 2008, piece. “The media’s factually unsubstantiated claims of an impending recession have been going on for over a year now,” he wrote. “Many news journalists hurt people’s outlook about the economy with inappropriate comparisons and sensationalism.”

In April 2008, Cain admitted that the economy was skidding, but only, he argued, because Democrats and the mainstream media had spooked everybody with its negativity. “This writer believes that a major portion of the job losses are due to media pessimism, and employers who have swallowed the negative outlook and have hesitated to fill existing jobs or new positions” Cain wrote on April 7.

By summer, Cain was claiming that the looming financial crisis was a similar media fabrication. In a July 21, 2008, column, Cain referred to Wall Street’s troubles as “the mainstream media’s it’s-not-a-crisis-but-we-are-going-to-make-it-look-like-one banking crisis”. In less than two months, Lehman Brothers would declare Bankruptcy and, a few weeks later, Congress would pass a massive bailout to rescue the nation’s largest banks.

Read more: https://swampland.time.com/2011/10/16/in-herman-cains-writings-a-startling-lack-of-foresight/#ixzz1b3Ss29LO

Mon, Oct 17, 2011 - 2:18pm
-
Nowhere, AK

Herman Cain on Fire

I stumbled across this video, just wanted to share:

Herman Cain: Make My Day

Boy, if some of you are right, and he is a puppet, maybe we are in trouble. He's really inspiring when he speaks. I don't even agree with all his points but when he's all charged up like that, I can't help but want to cheer him. Even when I don't totally agree!

Too bad Ron Paul doesn't speak as well as this, he'd probably be hitting a home run already.

Mon, Oct 17, 2011 - 5:55pm Stephanie C
TPaine
-
Nunya

stephanie wrote:Too bad Ron

stephanie wrote:

Too bad Ron Paul doesn't speak as well as this, he'd probably be hitting a home run already.

So true, Stephanie. I find his manner endearing and appreciate that he's not a slick talker, but that definitely doesn't help him win any popularity contests... He's a much more eloquent writer than he is a talker.

When Paul didn't win the nomination in '08 I consoled myself by saying "He's our Goldwater, not our Reagan..." I'm willing to support the Reagan to Paul's Goldwater, if/when he makes a run, but I won't get behind a Rockefeller just because Goldwater is deemed "unelectable".

EDIT: check this out... https://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul388.html

That's got the video and text of a speech Paul gave in the House in '07. Awesome speech, I watched it live and was cheering by the end. The delivery was so so, it reads a lot better. But still, powerful stuff.

Mon, Oct 17, 2011 - 6:14pm
Green Lantern

Presidents are elected based

Presidents are elected based on who runs the best campaign, not who has the most experience or the best philosophy. Individuals make choices on the most shallow of reasons and pure emotionalism based on which president can pander to people's fears and unmet dreams. Ron Paul speaks truth and that scares people. I've even heard people say they do not even understand him. It may have something to do with the fact the average American can't read beyond a 6th grade reading level.

"Yes, America CAn" George Bush

"Yes, We Can" Barch Obama

Presidential campaigns are no more than pep rallies. Dare to see beyond the overt pandering and feel good emotionalism. This is how religious and cult leaders become powerful, how Hitler became powerful and Presidents get elected. They depend on ignorance and pandering to the group consciousness unmet needs. " Make My Day" How bout "GET the Hell out of my face and don't talk to me like I'm a dope" I don't get riled up when I heard this stuff. I am insulted.

1976 Jimmy Carter Not Just Peanuts
1976 Jimmy Carter A Leader, For a Change
1980 Ronald Reagan Are you better off than you were four years ago?
1984 Ronald Reagan It’s morning again in America
1984 Walter Mondale America Needs a Change
1988 George Bush Kinder, Gentler Nation
1992 Bill Clinton Don’t stop thinking about tomorrow
1992 Bill Clinton Putting People First
1992 Ross Perot Ross for Boss
1996 Bill Clinton Building a bridge to the 21st century
1996 Bob Dole The Better Man for a Better America
2000 Al Gore Prosperity and progress
2000 Al Gore Prosperity for America's families
2000 George W. Bush Compassionate conservatism
2000 George W. Bush Leave no child behind
2000 George W. Bush Real plans for real people
2000 George W. Bush Reformer with results
2000 Ralph Nader Government of, by, and for the people...not the monied interests
2004 John Kerry Let America be America Again
2004 George W. Bush Yes, America Can!
2008 John McCain Country First
2008 Barack Obama Change We Can Believe In
2008 Barack Obama Change We Need
2008 Barack Obama Hope
2008 Barack Obama Yes We Can!

Don't forget Hilary Clinton's "It takes a village" Makes me all goose pimply

Mon, Oct 17, 2011 - 6:17pm
Green Lantern

Oh forgot, a 1000 points of

Oh forgot, a 1000 points of light. I think Bush was referring to the rockets red glare that would soon come over Iraq.

Tue, Oct 18, 2011 - 2:29pm
-
Nowhere, AK

Herman Cain Sings "Imagine There's No Pizza"

Even if you don't like him, the video of him singing a parody of Imagine in this article is pretty funny:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/compost/post/herman-cain-should-be-the-next-president/2011/10/17/gIQAqfnCsL_blog.html

Wed, Oct 19, 2011 - 1:01am
Throwing Sliver Hammers

Herman Cain vs. Ron Paul On Predicting The Economic Collapse.

Herman Cain vs. Ron Paul On Predicting The Economic Collapse.mp4
Wed, Oct 19, 2011 - 5:12pm
Bay of Pigs
-
HI

Cain video

That is just sickening. Anyone believing this fool gets what they deserve. Fascism and war.

The guy is a Bankster loving, people hating tool.

Wed, Oct 19, 2011 - 6:13pm Bay of Pigs
CreditCrumbs

BOP

Agree. Any high ranking officers of the Fed must know a bubble was going on for sure. They had access to tens or hundreds of PhDs in economics and econometrics, it is impossible for them to not identify a bubble. They knew exactly a bubble was there, but lied to the public to keep the bubble going as long as possible.

Look, Ron Paul has no PhDs in economics or econometrics working full time for him as staff. He is a medical doctor by training. Yet he identified the bubbles from miles away.

Come on... Bernokio, Cain, all are liars.

Wed, Oct 19, 2011 - 6:40pm
Bay of Pigs
-
HI

CC

I was referring to stephanies video above. He sounds like a monster to me in that one. I can't stand him, because he's a very bad liar. Plenty of people saw what was coming back then and said so. He's a buffoon acting like he doesn't know these things.

Wed, Oct 19, 2011 - 6:49pm
-
Nowhere, AK

I think he's naive

I really do, I think Herman Cain is just naive. He hasn't woken up yet. He's had a good life, achieved mainstream success, and simply doesn't know what's rotten in the core of America. I have this feeling that if he did make it to Washington, and he got a whiff of the real corruption going on there, he'd be screaming bloody murder.
But then, I also base that assessment on how little Wall Street money he's been getting - if he were a plant, he should have more money.
I could be wrong...but, you know, none of us know him, and he is somewhat of an unknown quantity because he has no legislative record to look at. I would actually be interested in meeting him to see how I felt about him up close and personal. From a distance, I still think he's a more sincere and genuine person than Obama.
Wed, Oct 19, 2011 - 6:59pm
backseatdriver
-
The Great Northwest

Cain

No way.Cain is a willing tool. Logic says so. Nothing more, nothing less.

I seriously doubt that he lacks the mental capacity to know he is being used. Therefore, he does know that he is being used and that makes him all the more disgusting just like the whole lot of them with the exception of Paul. He tells the same old cock and bull story, all the while throwing the wool over the peoples eyes about the source of the usury in this country (a source he was a participant in) Its just all so awful and depressing.

BSD

"Blessed are those who find wisdom,those who gain understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold" Prov 3:13-14
Wed, Oct 19, 2011 - 7:14pm
Bay of Pigs
-
HI

BSD

I'm saddened and disturbed that anyone would buy into this load of shit. It's Beyond the Pale...

randomness