Australian/Chinese Bullion?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mon, Jul 4, 2011 - 10:18pm
Gold Member
-
WI

Australian/Chinese Bullion?

So far I've been accumulating ASE, Canadian Silver Maples & Austrian Philharmonics....depends on wherever the premium is the lowest. 

So...here's a question I hope some of the turdites would help me answer....does anyone hold Australian/Chinese bullion? e.g. Koala/Kookaburra/Pandas? If no, why not? 

If yes, why and .......are aussie/chinese bullion coins easy to trade? Just curious...

Thanks!

Edited by: Gold Member on Nov 8, 2014 - 5:09am
Mon, Jul 4, 2011 - 11:54pm
Pablo

No Pandas

I may buy one or two pandas in the future, but I'm steering clear for now because of the premium, and concerns about authenticity.

Tue, Jul 5, 2011 - 8:53am (Reply to #2)
Gold Member
-
WI

Thanks Pablo......been

Thanks Pablo......been reading about possible fakes for some time....

Tue, Jul 5, 2011 - 10:08am (Reply to #2)
No1Hunter
-
Dark Side of the Moon, WA

Pablo wrote: I may buy one or

Pablo wrote:

I may buy one or two pandas in the future, but I'm steering clear for now because of the premium, and concerns about authenticity.

Yup, I am in the same boat as Pablo. I sticking with ASE, Maples and US 90% for now. I have some "name brand bullion" but not much. I mainly watch for deals on ASE and pull the trigger.

Fri, Jul 8, 2011 - 5:49am
RuNuts

Is it just me?

@No1Hunter, or does your sig pump of Mr. Rebates look like spam? /just askin

Fri, Jul 8, 2011 - 2:59pm
Apples

Pandas are not something I

Pandas are not something I would recommend casual ownership of. Because of the preponderance of fakes out there, one has to really do the research and become an expert on the coin series. Almost all of the major coins have fake versions, each with their own defects that you have to know and look for. 

Plus the premium per ounce is high depending on which years you collect. Even many of the semi-modern ones. I put my set of Pandas together back when silver was $20/oz and I was gritting my teeth paying $5 and $10 premiums per coin. Since then, they've exploded skyward to the point I can't imagine making another set.

Don't get me wrong, they are (IMHO) the most beautifully crafted of the major bullion coins, but one has to really know what they are doing in order to buy and own them comfortably. I had a dealer unknowingly try to sell me fakes even, they were so convincing.

Become a gold member and subscribe to Turd's Vault

Contribute

Donate  Shop

The TFMR Silver Round
Doc and TF Partnership Advertisement

Recent Comments

by cavalier, 6 min 27 sec ago
by Turd Ferguson, 1 hour 10 min ago
by JAL, 1 hour 14 min ago
by indiana rod, 1 hour 32 min ago
randomness