nervous but going to post anyway

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Tue, Jun 28, 2011 - 11:02pm
Anonymous

nervous but going to post anyway

I kinda need some help and/or recommendations from some people please.

i really do not know anything about this stuff on here and Zero Hedge but I read it anyway. I have to look up all the terms like margins, calls etc It is very laborious so I wondering if any of you might know of a book or site that is just basics for people like me.

I'm just somebody who is trying to self learn because I barely got through high school. I want to learn enough so that I don't get chumped and so I too can tell trolls from legitimate alternative opinions and ideas. Right now they all kinda make sense to me.

Right now I can only tell by the tone that some people use that try to mock TF. On ZH it is impossible for me tell.

I'm basically looking for a starting place...

Anyway if you have any idea and would pass them along, I'd be most grateful.

Edited by: Anonymous on Nov 8, 2014 - 5:27am
Tue, Jun 28, 2011 - 11:52pm
Dr Durden
-
Twin Cities, MN

If it makes you feel any

If it makes you feel any better, I understand about 1/3 of what TD posts about on ZH and 2/3rds of it is completely lost on me. Trying to read the comments section can be useless most of the time because it just turns into a pissing contest or a circle jerk. Forget trying to sort through it unless someone posts an article or a video (which does happen a lot). 

I think it just takes time. Don't feel stupid about asking questions here. Many many willing to help and share - as a matter of fact, I haven't seen anyone get flamed yet.

What are you struggling with the most? Use this thread to ask specific questions.

Got GIABO? "It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin
Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 1:24am (Reply to #2)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 1:41am (Reply to #3)
pourty

Gold and Silver

Keep reading, keep learning, you'll eventually figure much of this stuff out. But my perspective is very simple:

I ask myself this question: If my grandparents knew in 1928 that the depression was coming in 1929, what would they have done to prepare? I then act accordingly.

After I have stored away the basic necessities of life (housing, food, water, clothing, guns, etc.), it's time to invest whatever money I can into gold and silver. That's how I intend to ride out the coming economical storm. Note these preps (other than the gold and silver) also apply to pretty much any natural or man-made disaster, so you don't have to be a crazy end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it believer in order for this to make sense.

And the Evil Empire (EE) may be manipulating the price of PM's to hold them down, but eventually that won't work anymore. It's that eventuality that has many of us stacking away physical gold and silver coins.

Disclaimer: This is not financial advice, it's simply what I'm doing. Take it for what it's worth.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 2:01am (Reply to #4)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 2:30am (Reply to #5)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 2:42am
Jasper Puddlemaker
-
OR

You mentioned a couple of

Read, listen, and learn. It takes time; no way around that. There are so many sites you could go to, and everyone has their favorites. For me, Jim Sinclair's site (editorials), and Eric King's site (guest editorials and interviews) are mandatory. Excellent education and not time-consuming. No cost, so try them for a week or two and see what you think. I have been around this sector for 11 years now; you will find none better.

https://www.jsmineset.com/

https://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/King_World_News.html

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 2:59am (Reply to #7)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 3:14am (Reply to #8)
jaj64
-
Sacramento, CA

Depending on how much you have to spend...

Depending on how much you have to spend... Go over to apmex.com and buy 1+ american silver eagle "monster boxes" which come in packs of 500 for 20k. Take them and go bury them 5 feet deep on some of your farmland and forget about them for a couple years. You dont really need to understand the specifics of the stock market, just make sure you have plenty of physical gold and silver in your possession (since it seems you have your preps in order). SGTBull07 on youtube has some very easy to understand micro documentaries that you can learn the basics at:

WHY SILVER, WHY NOW? a SGTreport.com micro-doc
Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 5:41am
BlackHawk
-
Truman Lake, MO

Hello Ruffian

I live off the kindness of strangers too! It sounds pitiful, but with the right attitude, it's exciting. Like Hansel and Gretel for example. They had a great adventure, following the open road in the woods, finding and nibbling on a candy house owned by a witch who tries to eat them, defending themselves and baking her in an easy-bake witch oven and THEN...they run into the nice woodsman who takes care of all their worries. It's a fairy tale, but true that there are nice people out there. We just have to screen out the man-eating witches.

I think you should read the crash course by Chris Martenson on www.chrismartenson.com

Chris is real smart and easy to understand. His website is free or you can buy his crash course book, and his website also offers to arrange consultations with him if you want or need that. I don't know him personally, but I tend to trust people like Turd and Chris who are giving away so much of their hard-earned knowledge without asking for anything up front. They operate by the Golden Rule. When you get knowledgeable, I know you will pass it on too.

By the way, I used to pay people to manage my money. I found out they didn't know much more than me. Now if I am going to lose, I prefer to do it on my own. When looking for a financial advisor, ask to see their tax returns and see their reaction. If they can't prove they can manage their own money, why should you trust them with yours?

You can practice trading silver and gold now with a free Forex trading account: https://www.forex.com/open-account.html?type=practice

Nobody is really ever ready to do their first trade. The terms and ideas you are learning will stick better if you are practicing hands-on. Reading about growing tomatoes is nothing like growing tomatoes.

Learn how to trade Forex (currency pairs, gold, and silver) and lots of trading terms at www.babypips.com That's what I am doing now and I talked Forex into extending my free 30-day practice account into 90-days.

Finally, you write and express yourself pretty doggone well. You might be a whole lot smarter than you give yourself credit for. Don't sell yourself short, my dad used to say. I'm completely sure he never knew what selling short meant, but he made sure we weren't scared of anything, even being poor. We grew up long on courage.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 7:42am
Kid Salami
-
UK

RuffianI truly think you've

Ruffian

I truly think you've jumped the main two hurdles ie. you seem to be able honestly appraise your own situation (even though I agree you are selling yourself short) and you accept there is a problem and that YOU are the one to do something. The rest is downhill.

Buying some gold and silver as advised above - even if just in small amounts until you gain confidence - is step number one. I think an understanding of the fraud which is out money system is the starting point - I have some articles I use to introduce people to this. Most ignore them (even those who are "clever" in that they have degrees and PhDs) - if you follow them, you can consider yourself above these "clever" people in my book.

https://www.fame.org/HTM/President16.htm

https://www.goldensextant.com/LLCPostings4.html#anchor134408

https://www.lust-for-life.org/Lust-For-Life/InterviewWithGEdwardGriffin/InterviewWithGEdwardGriffin.pdf

and sections 1-8 of this are good too

https://mises.org/daily/3480

And for a bit of light humour mixed in....

Quantitative Easing Explained
Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 10:24am
Seacap81
-
Folsom, LA

Ruffian:  The link below is

Ruffian: The link below is the best possible place to start. I forewarn you, the material is going scare you, but it is the TRUTH. Recently, I shared the audio with my 17 year old daughter as I felt she was able to handle the truth. It shocked her, its shocks anyone when they learn about the Federal Reserve for the first time. The more people who learn about the Federal Reserve the sooner it will be ended. Ruffian, I have one request from you as you came here with one request and it is this: Be bold and share this with all your friends, family, co-workers. You don't have to explain it to them, just share the link.

So, here you go............... https://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/3.08/secondlook.html

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 10:47am
tread_w_care
-
The Sweet Sunny South

We really need a welcome/intro thread . . .

For folks who are just awakening after taking the red pill.

With Turd's and our collective stated mission, I've been curious why no forum/sticky thread for the new people. 

Late 2007 through the 2008 crash was my awakening, and I've been studying voraciously since then, and I am still unclear on some concepts/terms. Still uncomfortable with options trading. But, I am so much better off than I was pre 2008 crash. I for one would gladly contribute information to a 'welcome/FAQ/start here' Forum or thread.

Coming here or ZeroHedge cold is like trying to learn to swim by jumping into class 5 dam release rapids. 

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat
Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 2:09pm (Reply to #13)
CYM

Start with Chris Martensen's

Start with Chris Martensen's "Crash Course"

https://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

"Money As Debt" is a very good primer as well.

https://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2550156453790090544#

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 7:07pm
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 7:20pm (Reply to #9)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 8:15pm
ClinkinKY

Ruffian

Just wanted to say that your username touches me as I am as interested in racing as I am in PMs.

Ruffian, for those not in the know, was a filly with a heart as big as all outdoors. She had won all 10 of her starts, setting records along the way. Her eleventh, and final race, was a "match race" against the Kentucky Derby winner, Foolish Pleasure. An equine Billie Jean King vs Bobby Riggs event, that was nationally televised.. Tragically she broke down during this race and had to be euthanized. Very sad day for all of racing and horse lovers everywhere.

"The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".
Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 8:33pm (Reply to #17)
Anonymous

Removed comment

Removed comment.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 8:52pm
Rico

Consider checking out

Consider checking out stansberryresearch.com . Porter Stansberry offers a good product, and makes sure that beginners can understand the concepts, so they don't get left behind.

I have absolutely no connection to the firm, outside of being a long-time subscriber.

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 9:48pm
BlackHawk
-
Truman Lake, MO

Ruffian Avatar?

Wed, Jun 29, 2011 - 9:50pm (Reply to #18)
ClinkinKY

Ruffian wrote: ...... and

Ruffian wrote:

...... and that is exactly why I chose that name. I get shivers and shudders when I think of her. That filly had a huge engine too and was gorgeous.

I love KY. Had a great summer there so far. Mostly because the quality isn't there this year like previous years. One of my two year olds didn't meet his reserve price at the sale so I raced him. He had a huge, huge first start and finished second once he collected himself and got up on the bit... now I'm getting offers over the reserve. I'm trying to decide to take the offer or risk a second race later this year.

Churchill...Keeneland? I know someone who would appreciate a "hot tip" the next time he runs:)

Already have our seats for the Breeders Cup in November.

"The more you complain, the longer God lets you live".

Notice: If you do not see your new comment immediately, do not be alarmed. We are currently refreshing new comments approximately every 2 minutes to better manage performance while working on other issues. Thank you for your patience.

randomness