Anniversary Hat Contest

Thu, May 17, 2012 - 8:01am

As hard as it is to believe, this site will have it's 1st birthday on 6/14/12. Time sure goes fast when you're getting the snot beat out of you, day after day.

It's been a crazy 11 months but today is not the day for a retrospective. Today IS the day to start a new Hat Contest! Same rules as before. Submit your guess for the closing Comex price on Thursday, June 14 for the July12 silver contract and the August12 gold. Each winner will receive a genuine, 100% authentic and autographed Turd Ferguson hat. If any lucky Turdite manages to win both categories, I'll even throw in an original mint "silver Keiser" for good measure.

So, go for it! Enter your guesses in the comments section of this thread. I'll leave it open for entries through the Comex open tomorrow (8:20 am EDT) if you want to take a look at today's action before committing. Remember, all new Turdites have their initial comments sent into the "moderation queue" for approval. So, if you don't see your entry show up immediately, do not despair. Just give the mods and I a little time to find it and publish it.

I'm going to be out most of the day today so I won't be able to post a new thread until at least mid-afternoon. Please continue to use the "sticky" thread at the top of the homepage as your discussion/open thread. In the meantime, the nice rally overnight was derailed by euro weakness earlier today. Oh well. At least we are up a little off of yesterday's lows. Baby steps, everyone. To begin with, we need to stem the tide of the spec shorts. Then, we can reverse and squeeze them.

Have a fun day! TF

Nick Elway · May 17, 2012 - 12:22pm

Guess

Happy Anniversary

Gold 1567

Silver 33.60

RockinJohnnyT · May 17, 2012 - 12:24pm

Hat Contest

Silver - 23.35

Gold - 1485.36

I believe the market and Au, Ag go up from here into June. From there I see Greek and then Spain $ problems that come up and tank go the markets and Au, Ag. I think once this happens then QE is "asked for by the people" (hahaha) and then Au, Ag go to thru roof. I still see Silver going to 21 and Gold going to 1450 in June before QE announced.

JMO.

Have a great day.

boatman · May 17, 2012 - 12:37pm

gold has flipped to safe haven

some of u might want to rethink those hat-prices.

dollar up....gold up

dow down...... gold up

oil down ....gold up

at 10am---PHILLY FED SAYS -5.8% BUSINESS ACTIVITY IN THEIR REGION.....versus +10 expected......TANK JOB.......TANK JOB.....TANK JOB.....TANK JOB......

QE3 CLOSER.

YE-AHHH! BAY-BEEE!

GDP · May 17, 2012 - 12:46pm

captain stabbin

Silver = $31.33 Gold = $1735

John Galt · May 17, 2012 - 12:46pm

@Iceman321 re: Soros

You quoted Soros as saying that "gold is in the ultimate bubble"`.

IMO Soros is an egotistical little weasel who adores the limelight and loves to show off his superior intellect by choosing his words very carefully - especially when it gives him the opportunity to hear himself talk.

What he actually said at the time was that gold "is" the ultimate bubble, which by definition implies that gold will eventually BECOME the ultimate bubble, although we`re not necessarily there yet.

This, in turn, also explains the seeming illogic of him saying one thing (talking down gold), and doing another (actually buying gold).

Soros is certainly connected enough to know what is really going down, and if you listen to his precise words for that entire interview you`ll find that he presented the truth while giving the listeners the ultimate head fake.

Why wouldn't he head fake the rest of us? After all, his posse wants all the shiny yellow stuff they can get their hands on, so they're not going to encourage the rest of us to invest there too.

Patton · May 17, 2012 - 12:47pm

Guess

I'll hazard a guess and take a contrarian viewpoint. I don't think we are out of the woods yet with Europe. More down before up. I hope I am wrong.

Gold = 1482

Silver = 24.62

Kryptonite for Bankers · May 17, 2012 - 12:47pm

Pipedream

Au: 1890.70

Ag: 46.80

LONER · May 17, 2012 - 12:49pm

AT LAST!

Greetings from the great white north(not kidding=wet snow last night in Calgary).

Been wondering when you would have another hat contest.

I have to admit that I do not know enough to make an informed guess so I'm going to go with my heart and say:

Gold 1807.65

Silver 41.37

Hmmm- I wonder how I'll blend in during Klondike Days in Edmonton while wearing a great big yellow cowboy hat? Maybe I'll wear it at the Stampede in Calgary instead?

EX COLEUS

· May 17, 2012 - 12:55pm

OutLookingIn wrote: Hit Me

OutLookingIn wrote:

Hit Me With Your Best Shot!

Ok, as you request...

Pat Benatar- Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Tyler · May 17, 2012 - 12:55pm

congrats TF

hope this isn't the case...

Silver $25.50

Gold $1501

John Galt · May 17, 2012 - 12:56pm

Gold and Silver Predictions

I have little faith in my own ability to predict the future, other than to say that "X" years from now physical PMs will be worth something while fiat currency will be worthless.

However, I tossed the challenge to my son (Galt Jr.?), and he came up with the following figures.

Gold: $1627.20

Silver: $34.10

Baxter Bentley · May 17, 2012 - 1:01pm

Happy First Anniversary!

Gold: $1727

Silver: $33.60

USDX: 74.20

Bsong · May 17, 2012 - 1:05pm

Au 1813.Ag 35.23

Au 1814.

Ag 35.23

Video unavailable
boatman · May 17, 2012 - 1:06pm

SOROS

not a creepier guy in the financial world.

"Billionaire investor George Soros significantly increased his shares in the SPDR Gold Trust in the first quarter '12...... Soros Fund Management nearly quadrupled its investment in the largest exchange-traded gold fund (GLD) to 319,550 shares - compared with 85,450 shares at the end of the fourth quarter."
Cucamonga · May 17, 2012 - 1:14pm

AU= 1612.50 AG= 29.02

If all you got to live for
is what you left behind
get yourself a powder charge
and seal that silver mine
I lost my boots in transit babe
A pile of smoking leather

Nailed a retread to my feet
and prayed for better weather

sniem · May 17, 2012 - 1:14pm

Silver 32.49 Gold 1735

Silver 32.49

Gold 1735

Hoping to learn · May 17, 2012 - 1:23pm

The bottom will be.....

Silver........23.75

Gold..........1327.39

Then as that well known scholar once uttered.

"To infinity and beyond"

TreeTop Dweller · May 17, 2012 - 1:31pm

Blood, Sweat and Tears!

Lagrimas de la Luna - Ag - $33.57

Sudor del Sol - Au - $1601

foxenburg · May 17, 2012 - 1:31pm

Silver 30.13 Gold 1717

Adios Donna Summer

Dr G Patton · May 17, 2012 - 1:31pm

I'll hazard a guess and take

​I don't agree with your price guesses, but your logical is well-played. We haven't even entered the woods with Europe yet.

Lumpy · May 17, 2012 - 1:36pm

I'm in.

AG $42.87

AG $1836.90

silverbleve · May 17, 2012 - 1:40pm

I do like them hats

AG: 30.17

AU: 1679.23

Big L · May 17, 2012 - 1:51pm

Up or Down?

Lets see.....

4 weeks MOL to closing day of contest. Another 4 weeks to contest Comex closing day for silver, 8 weeks for gold. Very long time in these markets.

Euro in deep doo, euro money will flood to dollar and then PM's. Time frame?

How much more PM's do the big banks/hedgies have left to shed? And how fast will they need to bail themselves out?

How about the Asian exchange? Up and running by then? Competition to the Comex? What about the internal demand in China? Increasing? or not?

And the Fed: they have to print, otherwise the Ponzi dies and the market impales itself.

Politics: Obummer has to look good in Oct. /Nov.

Amplitude of volatility will increase with time, and wave lengths will shorten.

How much more covering does JPM need to empty the short basket? How they gonna make money then? Volatility?

I say, big big upswing in the summer months, followed by another huge manipulated swing downward for the PM's in the fall.

Considering the timing (summer vacations are great for burying the news) I go for

Gold - 2350.00

Silver - 68.32

Then back almost to current levels by late Sept./Oct.

Congrats and a Rip Roaring, Bronco busting anniversary to our man Turd.

The wonderkind of the internet, author of Tfmetals report the phenom PM info clearing house, the guy all the way out on the end of the limb, and rockin' in the wind.

Mr. swinging for the fences.

Our Wonder of the Modern World!

Please congratulate our next guest speaker on his one year anniversary!

The one, they only!

MR. TURD FERGUSON!!!!

Give it up for our guy TURD!

applause, applause, applause (the crowd goes crazy, insert insane roar here).

boatman · May 17, 2012 - 2:06pm

big L

i'm reading it as contest open til tomorrow 8:20 AM EDT

and ITS THE closing comex price of futures ON june 14.

and i guess you think they don't raise the debt ceiling nov late........and its all hugs n kisses between boehner n obozo til then.

or am i missing something.

GoldistheFuture · May 17, 2012 - 2:11pm