Site Improvements

Wed, Jul 27, 2011 - 10:27am

First, some business before we get to the charts.

This site is now about six weeks old and, like a six-week old, continues to grow. We've already made several, behind-the-scenes improvements in response to your feedback. Now it's time to make a few more.

As you know, this site is no longer about me...it's about you. For some reason, people take an interest in what I have to say about the PMs so I continue to write the main blog. The site as a whole, however, is about and for you. The forums, the chatroom, the charts...all are there for your education and the assistance you can provide others. The site costs quite a bit of money to maintain and the servers required to keep it running smoothly ain't cheap, either. Therefore, we have advertisements and, soon, affiliate sponsors.

Also, prior to building the site, I asked for feedback as to what features you'd like to see included. Two of the most common responses that we were unable to incorporate immediately were private messaging between members and an "ignore user" feature. I'd like to implement these features now. It comes with a catch, however. I'd like you, the user, to share in the cost. If adding private messaging and/or ignore features would be useful to you, please help defray the cost by "feeding the turd". Every little bit helps and once I get about half of the cost covered, I'll proceed with the additions. I'll keep you posted on the results of this first-ever "turdathon".

OK, back to your regularly scheduled blog. The PMs are kickin booty this morning as the nonsense continues in DC. There is a general "risk-off" feeling today as everything else is down. This may keep the metals from soaring but it should not be enough to inspire a protracted raid, either. For now, I'd love to just simply get through this day with these gains intact. A gold close above 1625 would set up another leg higher, toward the 1640-45 area. Similarly, a silver close above $41 primes a run toward 42-42.50.

paper_7-27amgold.jpgpaper_7-27amsilv.jpg

It's just a hunch but I can sure see all of this coming together at about the same time. By tomorrow, the POSX begins dropping again and the PMs rally further. By Thursday or Friday, at about the time gold nears 1645-50 and silver is pushing 42.50, the POSX may be making new lows near or below 73.30 on the September contract. Then the news will hit. The grand compromise will be reached. The country will be saved. Economic nirvana will prevail. All will be well. For about a day. Then, reality will sink in. From where will all this new debt come? Hmmm? The metals will reverse and we'll be back to business as usual.

So, for today, watch 1625 and 41 very closely. More later. TF

p.s. We need a couple more "moderators", too. Anyone willing to help? If so, please email me. Thanks!!!

3:15 EDT UPDATE:

After a valiant fight, the metals finally succumbed to the short-covering rally in the dollar. Gold dipped as low as 1608.90 (remember that initial support is around 1610) before recovering slightly. Silver fell in tandem but has maintained above $40. Holding support, both technical and psychological, is very important. I'd expect the dollar rally to soon end as the "real world" re-asserts itself overnight. This should lead to a rebound in the PMs overnight and into tomorrow. Again, WHEN some type of deal is announced from DC, EXPECT the PMs to drop sharply. I'll be buying this dip. Within 24 hours (or maybe considerably less), rational minds will realize that the U.S. is again allowing itself to go even deeper into debt. These rational minds will stop the selling and the PMs will reverse.

On more thing on today's trade. Last night, Harvey again posted a note from Dave in Denver. With the benefit of hindsight, this proves quite accurate. Definitely worth considering and a good thing to file away for the next option expiry cycle:

"One quick technical point about the gold market. As of this morning there were about 18,900 open calls at 1600 that expire today on Comex gold futures. Historically, the big bank manipulators write those calls and then drive the market below the price point at which they've written calls in order to keep the premiums. It's not huge money but it's been easy money for them over the last 10 years. Today obviously those calls expired in the money by about $17, which means the holders of those calls will likely exercise their option and take delivery of futures contract. A few months ago this same situation occurred and the manipulators hammered the silver market the day after expiration, likely creating a large number of sellers out of the traders who had taken delivery of their profit-position silver futures. It was a very transparent manipulative move, but effective nonetheless. IF we don't see the manipulators successfully "run the stops" tomorrow or Wed, my bet is that we will likely see $1650 gold very quickly, as this will be a very bullish signal that the gold cartel is losing its ability to manipulate the market at will."

Lastly, the Technical Team here at TFM wanted me to point out a couple of improvements we've already made, just in case they've gone unnoticed. Here is a c&p from them:

Based on your suggestions, we adjusted the Recent Comments page (https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comments/recent) so you can use it as a "dashboard" for reviewing all comments across the site. You can sort by newest or oldest first. You can choose a start date for comments. You can also filter by username and title of the forum topic or blog post. To quickly access the latest comments, click on the Comments link in the navigation bar.

The main RSS Feed has been moved to FeedBurner due to inconsistent updates with FeedCat. The new RSS feed URL is: https://feeds.feedburner.com/TFMetalsReport

OK, that's it for now. The "Turdathon" is going quite well and I hope to have some news for you soon on the potential improvements. Have a great evening. Keep an eye on the headlines!! TF

Does Feb19 Comex gold close above $1250 on Friday?
77%
23%
Total votes: 191

ewc58 · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:10pm

Granted, it doesn't help when

the broader market is down 173!!!! Ok, so that may (I said may) explain the miners giving us agita again today...

But how the HECK is gold not up 4% today? Hmmmm.... I wonder....

· Jul 27, 2011 - 3:18pm

UPDATED POST

​Please check the updates to this blog post.

FriedEggs · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:23pm

on CNN Money Talk today

While on my lunch this afternoon, I was watching a bit of tv and just happened to flip to CNN's 'Money Talk' and gold was the subject during the segment...

-On how to SELL it

They were reporting on the basics of gold - to the viewers/public - like 24k is 100%, 18k is 75%, etc...And they had some dude on the street performing an acid test on a piece of jewelry...

But the main idea from the segment was on how to sell it...not to keep it...not to hold on to that PRECIOUS METAL...but on how to sell it.

I also noticed that even though 'they' - the MSM are reporting and commenting a bit on Gold and Silver...

they always leave you with a negative note (conditioning). They want the last thing for the viewing audience to remember - that you shouldnt be keeping it or something negative...

For example,

'The price has gone up 20% (im just throwing a # out) since this year, however, history has shown that its extremely volatile and it will likely go down.' Segment Ends.

The Medium is the message...

Fried(e)

latcho Tesla · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:24pm

capturing screen clips on windows

key: PRINT SCREEN" captures 1 or 2 displays, depending on your setup, to the clipboard.

key combination: ALT + PRINT SCREEN captures only the inner boundries of the window that is currently focussed / active.

Now paste the screenshot from clipboard in your photo editor.

If you want to make a resize or a crop of an area you might want to use the super compact but powerfull program Irfanview.

Otherwise you use the default windows PAINT program.

Eric Original · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:25pm

ewc58

I get most of my everyday quotes via Google Finance. If I put in canadian tickers, I get canadian volume. You should be able to do the same. I'm reading 4.55 million shares right now, with average volume being 254,251.

Blight Master · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:25pm

Dow is hemorrhaging, down 200

Dow is hemorrhaging, down 200 and falling, someone trying to send a message.

¤ · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:27pm

Making lemonade of the market and life

At least we hit a new high of over $1631 and were only at $1616 right now.. Gotta love those numbers.

@ewc58...As far as "dada" goes, I hear you. Thankful he's here everyday, and my mom also. I threw them an awesome (if I do say so)) 50th wedding anniversary party last year. They loved it! But last year could have turned out way different for him and them.

In Feb. 2010 I walked into his condo. to visit him and my mom and he was having a heart attack in the front of their condo in a recliner and my mom was blabbing away on the telephone in the rear of the place and she couldn't hear him of course.

So I talked to him and made the 911 call after he took his nitro glyc. and I yelled at my mom to get off the phone. Long story short, he had "another" open heart double bypass after his first one 30 years earlier and he's now doing fine like it all never happened.

Love 'em while their here. That's how I look at my kids and just try to do the best I can.

diegeiro · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:28pm

link to charts @ bottom

I won't attempt to speak for anyone else, but I think we are all chart watcher's here. A link at the bottom of the comment section(s) that would take you right to the charts would be a great feature IMO.

ewc58 · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:33pm

Thanks again Eric

Ham. Bacon. Great Info. Miner head. Heart and Soul. Humor. You're like an EASY button with a pulse.

yesyesyes

Oh, and check this out:

Franken's SNL moment on the Senate floor

doughbot · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:35pm

ad revenue

Turd,

Concerning ad revenue on your site... Your designers will hate this, and you'll probably balk at it, but if you move the column on the right so that it is a left-hand column, you'll see ad revenue double. When on the left, it becomes a "nav menu" rather than an "ignore menu."

And due to the length of all the comments, you can run more ads (mixed with other useful stuff) down the column.

If you think about it, as a user, I'm scrolling past the ads as I read comments, and there is a gigantic white space on the side.

Maybe even one of those floating windows that automagically scrolls down as the user scrolls down (your web developers will know what this is).

Oh, and more "picture ads" (we're already doing a lot of reading), plus they're easier to click.

-doughbot

FFF ewc58 · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:45pm

ewc58

Would be interesting to know how many of the 14 miners that got whacked went to their 50 dma?? I know two of mine did!

At first I was mad, but then figured it might actually be a good thing. Yes, my portfolio took a wallop, but now that miners have tested the 50 dma, could it be they are going to up sooner that we expected?? I was thinking last night that earnings from the miners should start hitting the street in a few days, and me thinks some of them are going to absolutely hit the ball out of the park.

Time will tell, but I feel better now than I did at lunch time.

They are still FFF (Fraudulent, Flatuating Fuckers)!!

ewc58 · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:49pm

DPH!

So glad you've got him back for the extended warranty period smiley Great about your mom too, and that they've still got one another after 50 years of marriage... Great story, happy ending, I love it...

My 2 daughters are 16 and 20, what you say is so true. But if their love and admiration for my wife and I (yes even at these ages!), is any indication we've used our time with them wisely. I have no better places to put my positive energy is the way I've always seen it.

That knowledge, plus gold and silver, allow me to sleep pretty well at night. Oh and maybe a wee bit 'o the Diamond Head. Or Diesel. This daddy finds it effective :-o)

ewc58 · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:59pm

Bob Chapman live at 4pm edt

It's his usual Mon/Weds/Fri stint on Melody Cedarstrom's Financial Survival radio program. Don't bother on Tues and Thurs, Bob carries her show more than any other he's on... Very nice Woman, mediocre show host at best... The upside is that when he's on, Bob takes the wheel and drives cool

Eric Original · Jul 27, 2011 - 3:59pm

ewc58

Yeah, that Google Finance is my "go to" place for info on Canadians. Punch up the Canadian quote and you get better data, market cap, news releases, link to company website, everything. Does a pretty great job with it all. If you put in the 5 letter pink sheet ticker you get crap.

Rui · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:04pm

Still unable to drive it below 1600 / 40

Very weak raid. Let's see what they have for the upcoming job # and GDP.

Eric Original · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:05pm

miners :(

Lots of 5-6-7% losers on my list today. Yuck.

¤ · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:06pm

Love the smell of Diesel in the a.m.

Isn't that a movie line or was it napalm?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@ewc58... and p.m.......and at the market close ;-P....ok, all day.

Hey, these are stressful times.yes

robov taoJones · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:14pm

@ Golden Predator

Close up almost 19% on 5.4 mil shares and no news that can be found. Hmmmm? Pump & Dump or a select few know something the rest of us don't? 50/50 odds.

Eric Original · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:19pm

robov

There's news on GPD. Huge news in fact, but for some reason it took all day for it to get up on the company site.

Tesla · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:28pm

@GS_PHYS / SILVERDOG

Nice Photoshop Job = SilverDog

Yes it was Netdania = GS_PHYS

Sorry I missed your posts earlier - it's 'vaccination wednesday' at my vet today... just got back =]

Violent Rhetoric · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:36pm

Sen. McCain calls Tea Party Hobbits

By that flawed logic, “Democrats would have no choice but to pass a balanced budget amendment and reform entitlements and the Tea Party Hobbits could return to Middle Earth,” he [Sen. John McCain] said, quoting a Wall Street Journal editorial.

I read this as the chances the House digs in even deeper go up and this the odds we do "default" go up. Now the default may be salary of government workers not paid or vendors not paid. We may not miss a treasury payment but if he is this mad at the Tea Party people that tells me something. Odds IMHO still favor they do a deal but the chances that they don't do a deal just went up a bit.

Tesla · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:44pm

Silver OI

Daily Settlements for Silver Futures (PRELIMINARY)

Trade Date: 07/27/2011

Total

73,058

119,563

Last Updated 07/27/2011 01:32 PM

Tesla · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:44pm

Gold OI

Daily Settlements for Gold Futures (PRELIMINARY)

Trade Date: 07/27/2011

Total

371,315

536,454

Last Updated 07/27/2011 01:32 PM

Dr G · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:45pm

Taco Bell

Yesterday in the blog thread, we were briefly discussing Taco Bell and it's price increase that a poster noted for a burrito, from something like 89 cents to $1.59 (as I recall--too busy to go back and look through the thread).

I don't eat there, and was unware of it, but apparently Taco Bell has had THREE menu price adjustments (read: increases) in the past 30 days. This was news to me, but I learned of it in the latest KWN interview with Peter Schiff, which was just posted today.

Crazy. Schiff mentions that this will become more common and establishments will end up changing their menus on a weekly or even daily basis as hyperinflation comes home to roost in the US.

Once again, our fellow Turdites are aware of what is happening around us (even though I poked fun at the guy yesterday for eating Taco Bell). Stay vigilant and stack it high!

sevin · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:47pm

Really?

"As a result, the big losers are dollar-sensitive precious metals, which got a boost on U.S. default fears. I think these guys are prime short candidates now, since they are in trouble either way: If the U.S. defaults, haven flows are likely to boost the dollar and hurt precious metals. If a default is avoided, the "fear trade" will come out of precious metals and they'll fall."

So either way its a win-win scenario for the dollar about this debt deadline. Is he serious?

How does this make the front page of MSN.com?

robov ewc58 · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:53pm

100% agreed

I think I linked to him once before off a blog comments section and did again today from here. He is now bookmarked and will become apart of my daily read. What a brilliant read. A very transparent man with clear knowledge shared in a very humble fashion. It became very apparent to me that he is a man of integrity that clearly understands Biblical principles and how they need to, and should be, applied to our daily lives without the pious fundamental babble that one tends to here from so many Christian sites. Pilate asked, "What is truth?" well for me it is a fundamental universal "Force" not unlike faith, gravity or any other universal law. It will always and eventually triumph over the forces of evil and darkness, such as we see everyday in the governments, markets and PM's. A Christian lifestyle has nothing to do with what you are so much as it has to do with who you are, it is not paraded and bragged about to the populace from the rooftops like the Pharisee's did in the day and many still do today. It is "observed" in the actions and words of the person, which is what I saw coming through Jesse's blog today. "Go in through the narrow gate. The gate to destruction is wide, and the road that leads there is easy to follow. A lot of people go through that gate." Amen.

sevin · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:54pm

@Dr G

That was me about the taco bell. Didn't know others paid attention to Taco Bell. Their "Value Menu" now has only two things that are under a $1.00, when there was 10+ earlier this year. Ouch

SilverTree · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:56pm

Loading up on guns this week:

Loading up on guns this week: 20ga mossberg 500 and a M&P-15

ewc58 · Jul 27, 2011 - 4:58pm

GATA's Bill Murphy on todays action

Friends, enjoy a snippet from Bill's daily update, the Midas Report. If you like it, go here to get a free 2 week trial. Please support GATA if you're in a position to do so!

"...Stuffed again … for a little while anyway. The Gold Cartel began to gently lean on a rallying gold around its usual London time this morning, but the best they could do when the Comex opened was to influence the price to $4.60 higher than the prior close. Gold was firming, despite a stronger dollar, when a lousy US durable goods number was released. The price then began to move higher as the need for more Fed stimulus, and QE type action, became even more apparent, even though there was little reaction in the dollar. Between the lousy US economy, including a deteriorating jobs picture, and the tango dance silliness between Republicans and Democrats, the reasons to own gold are accelerating. Actually, they have been brought to your attention by me and the contributors to this column, for YEARS. It is just that the general investing public is beginning to wake up, and this includes Planet Wall Street and even some in the mainstream gold world.

Ever since the price of gold was something like $1480, I have made constant note how lousy The Café Sentiment Indicator was and how BULLISH that was. Guess what, despite a $150 rally in the price, little has changed. Never seen anything like it in any market in all my life, nothing close and that includes what has occurred in all the action in the gold and silver markets over the past decade. Indicative of the non-believing crowd of what is to come is the crummy gold/silver share action (written when the HUI was unchanged this morning).

That continued crummy share action is also indicative of a Gold Cartel drooling to do their gold manipulation, slam drill. Many of us on Planet GATA have been curious as to when they would make their next move. The obvious time would be on a rumor or a debt talk breakthrough, some serious progress, or a real deal.

They didn’t wait for any of that. Gold was up $10, when all of a sudden, The Gold Cartel’s normal tactic of late, gold dropped $14 for no apparent reason, YET AGAIN.

CAN YOU SAY PLAN B? Gosh, The Gold Cartel is doing all they can to make GATA look good at our conference. How many times have you read in this column how they make certain coordinated moves at the same time of day? This attack came right after the PM London Fix of $1625, which is their PLAN B assault tactic. They truly are pathetic. What a bunch of losers … and the gold price advance over the last decade states what a bunch of losers they are … mostly because of what they have done to our country.

So what if they win on a given day and rip off spec longs for a trade. The physical market has been taking them out and will do so again.

Meanwhile, the DOW, which was down about 150, suddenly began to cut its losses in half, thanks to the PPT. At the same time, the gold/silver shares were hit very hard. Can you say, "Groundhog Day?" The stunted gold/silver share action the past couple of days was indeed another Gold Cartel ploy to rip off the public and an indicator they were going to make a move.

In Access Market trading gold is gyrating, last at $1614. Silver has been hit harder with the market under pressure, slipping to $40.30.

The open interest changes are very interesting. The gold open interest fell 4950 contracts to 536,454 in the aftermath of the option expiry and before first notice day on Friday. In contrast, the silver open interest rose 2368 contracts as new longs piled in to take on the sinister JP Morgan and gang.

What the gold OI tells us is that not that many option longs took delivery on their options, as gold put in a solid performance and made new all-time highs, and the OI went down. In addition, it seems a number of futures longs exited their positions ahead of first notice day.

The Gold Cartel and other option writers did not win like they used to, but many did not lose much either, on a net basis, due to the option time period decay.

Thus, my guess is The Gold Cartel is doing what they always do on new breakouts, take the gold price down soon thereafter to do what they can to take gold off center stage, which it is doing these days."

Dr G sevin · Jul 27, 2011 - 5:00pm

@sevin

That's right, and look--you were in tune to what many of us weren't! My guess is you will see several more increases at your local Bell in the coming months.

Somebody should tell the Bernank that Taco Bell is raising their prices 50% and see how he counters that one.

12/17 8:30 ET Empire State Fed Manu.
12/18 8:30 ET Housing Starts and Building Permits