Welcome to the updated TF Metals Report! We hope you enjoy the new experience.

We've changed payment processors, so any existing renewals will need to be re-subscribed after expiration. You will receive an email when this happens. If you have any questions, send a message through the Contact page.

Starting Fresh

Sat, Oct 20, 2018 - 12:06pm

The updated TFMR is up and running!

As you've no doubt noticed, the revamped TFMR is a complex beast. There are all sorts of updates and added capabilities and this will make the experience for all of us here even better.

The old site was built on a Drupal platform in 2011 and a lot has changed over the years as technology has surged forward. Think of trying to use your 2011 Blackberry to access all of 2018's apps and websites. Going forward, our new site will eliminate the issues we've had with Apple products. It was also end the frustrating cycle of forced logins/logouts. It also has complete mobile capability. And a whole bunch more new stuff that I don't even know about yet.

So, thank you for your patience as we work out the bugs and get acquainted with everything. New and improved can sometimes feel frustrating and unnecessary, however, in this case, it was completely necessary and worthwhile.

As you know, I'm away from Turdfork this weekend as MrsF and I are visiting LT#1 at college. (And boy-oh-boy do I have a raging headache today from too many beers at the local Oktoberfest last evening!) I had promised everyone a podcast this morning but, frankly, I don't know yet how to post one! So, just this quick update.

In Comex gold, It was great to see price close at $1230 yesterday. That's another GREEN weekly candle and maintaining above $1200 and $1220 is very important in terms of a bullish/hopeful chart configuration. For next week, the goal remains a close above the 100-day moving average and then $1240 as this will engender even more Spec short-covering.

And as you can see on the gold CoT below, a MASSIVE move in Spec short-covering already took place back on Thursday the 11th when price surged through the 50-day and ended up $34 on the day. We'll discuss this more on Monday.

In Comex silver, that reverse H&S we've been discussing continue to trace out. On the weekly chart,  getting back above and staying back above $14.50 is seemingly an important development. As expected, the move in the silver CoT wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was in gold.

Again, thank you for your patience as we get restarted and Ron and his team work out any kinks that suddenly appear. Have a great weekend and I look forward to next week.

brolgaboy · Oct 21, 2018 - 7:50pm

Well, the data from the old site says you did, or someone masquerading as you. :) Would you like to know all the people you blocked?

brolgaboy brolgaboy · Oct 21, 2018 - 7:50pm
horrible rollout - no offence to shimshock cause I no he is trying to pleasr
Marchas45 TF Metals Admin · Oct 21, 2018 - 7:52pm

That's the problem I didn't click accept

Texas Sandman · Oct 21, 2018 - 8:28pm

test

petedivine TF Metals Admin · Oct 21, 2018 - 8:28pm

I am saying when I paste a link into the editor the page resizes and about 1/3 of the page extends past the viewing screen. I can’t scroll over to see the rest of the page and continue editing the post. I assume the view is magnified and I lose the right third of the screen. I am editing in landscape. The  browser is safari, and I’m using an iPad.

thanks Pete

petedivine · Oct 21, 2018 - 8:36pm
I was considering recent actions by the E.U. ordering banks to stop providing debt cards to foreigners. I’ve seen something similar in Venezuela. Credit cards and debit cards are limited by government decree to stop Venezuelans from leaving the country and spending their savings overseas. It drains Dollars from the Venezuelan economic system. I have to consider the same may hold true for the E.U. They may be attempting to stop wealth from leaving the E.U. via debit cards. If this is true, then their next move is to limit the amount of money E.U. citizens can spend on their credit cards when they travel outside the E.U.
petedivine · Oct 21, 2018 - 8:44pm

To moderator. The comment editor is about 5 inches wide and 2 inches lengthwise. Is there a chance you can make th edit window bigger then a paragraph? Some of us are verbose. I tried moving the iPad from landscape to portrait and back. The editor is completely messed up now. Also, I fixed a sentence in the edit again mode and when I saved it the comment is still messed up. Now it works.. To be honest using Safari / iPad on the site seems to be a struggle at times.

petedivine · Oct 21, 2018 - 8:49pm

Pete, it sounds like there might be some issues with the new "autogrow" functionality we have enabled for the editor.

How the autogrow works is as soon as you start typing, the editor window expands so all of your text can be seen. However from a few comments we've gotten from Safari users, it seems like it does some funny things at different points in time when resizing.

We're going to disable this, and I'd appreciate if you let me know if that helps your issue. Thanks.

petedivine · Oct 21, 2018 - 8:52pm

@Pete, three comments... first, we can potentially expand the editor. Second, my guess would be the editor is getting messed up due to the autogrow. Let us get that disabled and see if it helps.

Third, I've mentioned a couple of times, but right now your edits/updates are not seen instantaneously. We have a delay of about 2 minutes whenever a new comment is posted or edited. Otherwise we might run into overload issues for the site, and we don't want to do that while we are making continual adjustments.

This will improve in time, we're just using it as a temporary measure.

Mickey Silverstone · Oct 21, 2018 - 9:15pm

Nu guys and gals:

Is it time we started discussing metals?

Perhaps we need a temporary Forum where suggestions can be made?

If you have ever rolled out a new system, you know how the folks working on this rollout feel. It is inevitable  which is somewhat what I mentioned yesterday regarding the complexities of system development.

If I had it to do all over again, I would choose to be a) born rich <the lucky sperm club>, b) marry into wealth, or c) Win a big lottery. I do not think I will be able to have a do over. So I need to avoid the carnage that coming for normal portfolios.

AngryCitizen · Oct 21, 2018 - 9:19pm

Good idea, Mickey.

· Oct 21, 2018 - 9:35pm

There already is a forum where suggestions can be made. smiley

dantonov81 · Oct 21, 2018 - 10:23pm

For Mozilla users:

For everyone who does not like the white background of the new website you can download "dark night mode" Add-on for your browser and it is going to be  much easier on your eyes! cheeky

Reach West · Oct 21, 2018 - 10:33pm

I have to say .. that after a couple of days trying to follow this first thread on the new site, my biggest issue is with the inability to go directly to unread (new) comments each time I revisit.

The value of TFMR is obviously having access to Turd's thoughts, but it's ALSO being able to share thoughts and read the comments from other Turdites. Therefore, I typically try to peruse all comments in any given thread and tend to check in to the site a few times daily. Unfortunately, where I was previously able to jump right back in to the comment thread where I left off, I can no longer easily do that. IMHO, this lack of functionality in the new site is a minus.

Just my 2 pennies worth .. other than that .. all else is good. Like the clean minimalist design and also the responsive capability for different devices..

Stephen Kelley · Oct 21, 2018 - 10:48pm

TEST

08Gold-Wing · Oct 21, 2018 - 11:04pm

/????

· Oct 21, 2018 - 11:10pm

Palladium looks ready to break out and, when it does, it will be important.

Thanks to everyone for your patience the past two days. There's a reason why these things often take place over a weekend. It gives the tech guys time to work out the kinks. BIG thanks to Ron for patiently answering questions, many of which were submitted more than once.

As for the "rollout going horrible"...well, sorry. We do the best we can with the limited time and resources we have.

Reach West · Oct 21, 2018 - 11:35pm

Hi, Reach.

Many folks have mentioned this. So much so that Ron addressed the technical reason for the change here:

MoonShiv said:

"With the old site, whenever I logged into TFMR, I could see every post (blogs/podcasts) and each showed how may new comments I had not read."

Yes, this was considered. Let me try to explain this as best as I can in not-too-technical terms. If I'm getting too technical, let me know.

Personalization of website information is always filled with tradeoffs. For example, the top bar on the site shows your username and links to your user account. Everyone else has that same bar at the top, but it is filled with their info. This information doesn't change all that frequently, so it is easy for us to store one of those for every person on the site.

Regarding number of new comments, it is a hyper-personalized piece of information. Facebook, Twitter, etc. do not have such a feature, and there is a good reason why they do not. Not only does it need to be kept track of for each user, it needs to be tracked for each user on each post throughout the entirety of history. So say you have 100,000 posts and 100,000 users, that is *10 billion* times where number of comments needs to be tracked -- and that data is constantly changing.

Our goal is to grow this site much beyond its current size, and having that level of hyper-personalization runs into conflict with having a lot more people on TFMR.

There are potentially some ways we could consider doing this in the future, but we would need to hear from Craig that he considers this a priority.

lakemike49 TF Metals Admin · Oct 21, 2018 - 11:46pm

you asked for feed back so here goes i come here for comments i do not use twitter i am old and not very computer savy i like to know where i left off you said something about bookmark not sure how to do that maybe a tfmr guide for dummies would be helpful i also think subject would be nice not trying to be negative many times the comment section is an on going debate from people all over the world in many differant time zones i for one would miss that just my two cents  lakemike

Dobocop · Oct 22, 2018 - 12:10am

Thank you turd for all you do.  Those of us that have been around since the watchtower have been through this before.

I was starting to get frustrated with the repetitive questions.  People resist change.

you can go to recent comments and click the last one.   Go back to where you left off. it's not that difficult people.

Chad · Oct 22, 2018 - 12:26am

I went browsing to see what other changes may have taken place.  The following in some.

Podcast display gives error code 100000 in the new "video" box.  I tried the Thursday discussion and Wednesday podcast, same error.

The forums give a total of posts per subject and a smaller(lesser) number that doesn't seem to change.  I clicked on the lesser number and it went to the probable last page I viewed, then left site and came back to the forums, same numbers, large and small.

If I go to the blog drop down at the top of the page and click Turds, I get a list of Turds blog posts (including this one) with a total number of comments in the corner of each post.  Possible to put this on main page current postings?  I see the postings further down the main page have this feature.

Where can I get one of the Shiney freaking bars?!  Those are beautiful!  I know Craig dug in his stash for the pics.

Mickey Silverstone · Oct 22, 2018 - 1:01am

Just thinking:

when the SHTF, what we have been discussing here this weekend will be so trivial.

My trader friend, who thought I was a bit nuts several years ago has now come around to beyond my normal outcry-that if people have not thought out what they will do its over for them,

This includes being emotionally prepared, physically prepared, having metals stashed in various places as well as food and water and guns and ammo, and maybe a get out of dodge place.

This last one, the best answer we came up with was just to be in someplace remote, since whats going to happen will be global, so few places to hide.

I spoke with a doctor yesterday who discussed how his staff has evolved to its expressing the feeling they were entitled to a lot if stuff in re benefits and time off and no stress .

But when I said that we could see a significant market selloff, he mentioned 5-10% and further discussion led to his telling me his advisor takes care of everything and I gathered he has abdicated responsibility as he did not even know what types of things were in his portfolio,

I told him he might want to think about avoiding dollar denominated investments.

Most of the people have no clue what they own. They do not understand that the economy is weak. Ya cannot have a strong economy held up by social media stocks and Amazon which does not make money. Or Tesla of  Netflix. Even Apple which is seeing contracting unit sales.

When this rolls over its gonna be a doozie.

SteveW lakemike49 · Oct 22, 2018 - 1:08am

In order to start again where you left off: Right click on the permalink, the squiggly thing at the bottom of the post after reply, report, mute etc. and save as a bookmark called "where I am in TFmetalsreport" or whatever. Restart by loading in your bookmark and before you leave overwrite your bookmark of the same name with your new ending place.

Hope I've explained this OK for you.

Blackshook · Oct 22, 2018 - 1:12am

Hmm..interesting massive silver spike at 04.00 GMT.up to about 16.25 and back again. Fat finger error ? wonder how long that will be visible for ?

Chad · Oct 22, 2018 - 1:28am

Chad, have you clicked "Accept" in the banner at the bottom of the page? If you haven't accepted cookies on the site, it blocks a lot of things including how the player works. Unfortunately we need to have this given the EU laws that came out earlier this year for GDPR. Essentially need your acceptance to copy cookies to your browser.

The forum post numbers do not update frequently because we only refresh that data every so often. We are trying to find a balance between "real time info" and site performance. Both are important, and we're trying to find a happy medium.

Regarding the blog posts, I'm assuming you're referring to the number of comments below the initial ones? That's certainly up for discussion with Craig if he feels it is worthy to add.

Thanks for the feedback. For anyone else, feel free to post new thoughts in the Site Feedback and Comments forum: https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forums/site-feedback-and-comments

We don't want to be continually filling Craig's threads this week with stuff about the site.

SteveW · Oct 22, 2018 - 1:30am

@SteveW, thanks for posting. Much appreciated and good explanation.

Blackshook · Oct 22, 2018 - 2:03am

Roll out seems to be going pretty well to me..and early days. It is a shame about not being able to go straight to unread messages but you have explained the situation. However what I would find useful is if you could put the individual page count numbers  (for each thread) at the Top of the thread as well as currently shown at the bottom of the page. This way we could select which page we wish to go to ( assuming we remembered how many already read) without scrolling all the way to the bottom of page one to find the page selection.

Thanks.

Cable · Oct 22, 2018 - 3:50am

Thanks SteveW. That works just fine for me.

Gibbo TF Metals Admin · Oct 22, 2018 - 4:05am

Hi TFM Admin,

I've noticed that the only thing you can't currently change is the 'About Me' section in Edit Profile as that edit tab is missing all together. Is that coming / being added later?

All the best.

Ronnie 666 · Oct 22, 2018 - 9:04am

Pd is starting to break out following Rd. Pt out performing both gold and silver these past weeks. Let’s see if Pd pulls Pt out of the mud and all PGMs move together. Then if that works out silver should follow ?

Key Economic Events week of 6/11:

5/23 9:45 ET PMI Composite
5/23 10:00 ET New Home Sales
5/23 2:00 ET May FOMC minutes
5/25 9:20 ET Chief Goon Powell speech

Key Economic Events week of 5/14:
5/15 8:30 ET Retail Sales and Empire State Fed
5/15 10:00 ET Business Inv.
5/16 8:30 ET Housing Starts
5/16 9:15 ET Industrial Production

Key Economic Events week of 5/7:
5/9 8:30 ET PPI
5/9 10:00 ET Wholesale Trade
5/10 8:30 ET CPI
5/11 8:30 ET Import/Export Prices

Key Economic Events week of 4/30:
4/30 9:45 ET Chicago PMI
4/30 10:00 ET Pend Home Sales
5/1 9:45 ET PMI and ISM Mau Idx.
5/1 10:00 ET Const. Spending
5/2 2:00 ET FOMC fedlines
5/3 9:45 ET PMI/ISM Svcs.
5/3 10:00 ET Factory Orders

Key Economic Events week of 4/16:
4/16 8:30 ET Retail Sales, One Fed Goon speech
4/16 10:00 ET Business Invt.
4/17 9:15 ET Industrial Prod., Four Goon speeches