Starting Fresh

Sat, Oct 20, 2018 - 12:06pm

The updated TFMR is up and running!

As you've no doubt noticed, the revamped TFMR is a complex beast. There are all sorts of updates and added capabilities and this will make the experience for all of us here even better.

The old site was built on a Drupal platform in 2011 and a lot has changed over the years as technology has surged forward. Think of trying to use your 2011 Blackberry to access all of 2018's apps and websites. Going forward, our new site will eliminate the issues we've had with Apple products. It was also end the frustrating cycle of forced logins/logouts. It also has complete mobile capability. And a whole bunch more new stuff that I don't even know about yet.

So, thank you for your patience as we work out the bugs and get acquainted with everything. New and improved can sometimes feel frustrating and unnecessary, however, in this case, it was completely necessary and worthwhile.

As you know, I'm away from Turdfork this weekend as MrsF and I are visiting LT#1 at college. (And boy-oh-boy do I have a raging headache today from too many beers at the local Oktoberfest last evening!) I had promised everyone a podcast this morning but, frankly, I don't know yet how to post one! So, just this quick update.

In Comex gold, It was great to see price close at $1230 yesterday. That's another GREEN weekly candle and maintaining above $1200 and $1220 is very important in terms of a bullish/hopeful chart configuration. For next week, the goal remains a close above the 100-day moving average and then $1240 as this will engender even more Spec short-covering.

And as you can see on the gold CoT below, a MASSIVE move in Spec short-covering already took place back on Thursday the 11th when price surged through the 50-day and ended up $34 on the day. We'll discuss this more on Monday.

In Comex silver, that reverse H&S we've been discussing continue to trace out. On the weekly chart, getting back above and staying back above $14.50 is seemingly an important development. As expected, the move in the silver CoT wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was in gold.

Again, thank you for your patience as we get restarted and Ron and his team work out any kinks that suddenly appear. Have a great weekend and I look forward to next week.

Stevediva
Oct 21, 2018 - 1:34pm

@Steve, I would hope you

@Steve, I would hope you understand we rolled out an entirely new site on an entirely new server environment. What you see maybe looks similar, but the bend-the-scenes is completely different. I appreciate your patience while we continue to make adjustments.

canary
Oct 21, 2018 - 1:35pm

@canary, sleep... what's that

@canary, sleep... what's that?

canary
Oct 21, 2018 - 1:43pm

@canary, thanks for providing

@canary, thanks for providing detailed steps.

When you select "copy", you are copying the full file from another site, and then trying to paste the "base 64 code" to the TFMR server.

This was really a no-no on the old site and should not have been allowed. We've stopped this from happening on the new site, because allowing it can "break" an entire website page and stop it from loading. The times Craig said a page was broken and he needed to create a new thread was due to this type of activity.

I don't know the exact term they use in Microsoft Edge, but there has to be an option that is not "copy" and not "click image address" that allows you to get the direct URL to an image. We'll have to load up a new copy of Microsoft Edge on a machine to check it out, unless there's someone in here that has Microsoft Edge available and can quickly respond.

AvgAmerican
Oct 21, 2018 - 1:52pm

@AvgAmerican, I appreciate

@AvgAmerican, I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your response. Thanks.

Yes, I agree just because other sites don't have the same functionality doesn't mean they are better or more user-friendly. The tradeoffs we're trying to make have more to do with site growth and performance. While I appreciate wanting to make TFMR unique, there are just some things that didn't scale very well in their previous format.

Your ideas are all good ones and there are a few others we have too. We'll have a discussion with Craig and see how he wants to approach.

Regarding the subject line and viewing someone's comments to see if they've had a change of tune, can't we agree that the older someone gets, the less likely they are to change their habits and outlook? As mentioned earlier, the subject line is up to Craig to decide, and can ask him his thoughts on viewing comments of users that have been blocked.

lnardozi
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:03pm

@Louis, I appreciate the

@Louis, I appreciate the offer. We're always open to ideas, and certainly have a few of our own too. Thanks.

SteveW
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:11pm

Admin, using the "quote"

Admin, using the "quote" function in the Forums does not link to the quoted post but the last post in the thread.

Mickey
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:12pm

@Mickey, you are spot on with

@Mickey, you are spot on with your response.

"On the size, and size means everything, perspective is important."

You have no idea the number of times we have had people tell us that a site doesn't look right as "XYZ size" because they haven't thought through the ramifications of what it means to someone using a tablet or a smartphone. Just a matter of perspective, over 60% (!!!) of all web traffic these days comes from mobile devices. So people who want everything tailored for a desktop or laptop experience are in the minority. I don't see this changing anytime soon... in fact I expect a time in the future where 85% of all traffic is mobile.

"I was an early one here so i understand we are all creatures of habit."

And I remember all the comments deriding the initial layout, color scheme, logo, the site was too confusing, etc. ... how times change.

SteveW
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:12pm

Thanks for letting us know

Thanks for letting us know SteveW. We'll check it out.

Belladonna
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:13pm

Test

Test

Belladonna
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:15pm

Admin: Could you change my

Admin: Could you change my posting name to my username? Thanks
SteveW
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:16pm

SteveW, can you provide a bit

SteveW, can you provide a bit more detail? Just tried to use the "quote" link, and it pulled in the forum post I was requesting. What exactly are you seeing?

Belladonna
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:18pm

I changed it for you, but

I changed it for you, but really everyone has the ability to do this on their own.

I posted instructions here: https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/683782#comment-683782

Thor
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:23pm

How about chronologically

How about chronologically numbering each post and respective page@ upper left in addition to the date and time @ upper right? Then at least if the feature of going to the next posted automatically can't be implemented, at least we could remember the last number and page we read and find it fairly quickly when we return.

Example:

P5, #166 10/21/18-1:44 PM

==========

Keep up the great work.

Thor
Oct 21, 2018 - 2:34pm

I appreciate the suggestion,

I appreciate the suggestion, Thor. Just so everyone knows, the "link" icon in the lower right corner is a permanent link to the comment. It also references the unique comment ID. That URL can be bookmarked in your browser.

I'm not suggesting it is the solution everyone wants, just making sure everyone is aware of it. In Firefox, you can right click the link icon and select "Bookmark This Link."

AngryCitizen
Oct 21, 2018 - 3:15pm

Looks like the site is Brave

Looks like the site is Brave (browser) compatible. THANK YOU!

It's best to be Brave.

AngryCitizen
Oct 21, 2018 - 3:16pm

It's best to be Brave.

It's best to be Brave.
08Gold-Wing
Oct 21, 2018 - 3:48pm

Just seeing if this is

Just seeing if this is working for me.

Why yes it is.... Thank you very much, and be patient folks, it will get better im sure

knr999 Boswell
Oct 21, 2018 - 3:54pm

Boswell - Post something

Boswell - Post something relevant so you can go back to it to more quickly find the new comments. Sounds like a good idea but if we all did that it would be horrific. Endless threads for example 🙃

streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:09pm

When most bugs worked out plz

When most bugs worked out plz add a link/page explaining some of what has been discussed lately:
"Rt Click"
"in upper left corner"
"image host"
etc.

Also "bookmark" -
I never used it before, but now I can use to jump back in at the last post I previously read?

The white background is a bit overwhelming.
also, plz ref the top bar (above, in this posting block) like "block quote" "link," "unlink," "insert/remove numbered list"

tia

petedivine
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:13pm

I received an email from gold

I received an email from gold-money. Apparently, as of Oct-31 all account holders outside of the E.U. Will have their debit cards disabled. The E.U. Has passed a law stating banks cannot issue prepaid debit cards to foreign residents. Goldmoney had been issuing debit cards from a German debit card company. So at least for now, U.S. based goldmoney account holders can’t transfer funds from gold sales into their debit card account. Here is a link to the new Goldmoney policy. I find the rule change to be a curious one. I wonder why the E.U. Would issue such a rule. Certainly not for Goldmoney account users.

streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:14pm

Yes we're going to post a

Yes we're going to post a page. Just want to focus on getting some of the most pressing issues resolved first, then we'll get to that. Thanks.

streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:18pm
petedivine
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:22pm

When I’m viewing / surfing

When I’m viewing / surfing the new TFMR site on an iPad the header takes up about 30% of the page. I’m using Safari as the browser. I’d like to hide it if possible. The header does disappear when I start typing or editing a post.

Using IPad with Safari: Note that when pasting into the editor, the right third of the editor window disappears. It becomes difficult maybe even impossible to continue editing.

streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:24pm

The above was a test of

The above was a test of pulling image from f-berg. Seems like it worked. Now c&p from fberg:
===

WestPac Cruise, 65-66, HS-2 aboard Hornet.
We had three birds config'd for SAR up North.
I had the good fortune to be co-pilot for LCDR Vern Frank (now passed) on the first night extraction out of N Vietnam along with POs Bush and Walker, 6 NOV 65, flown off the Independence (Hornet was RnR in Subic). The painting is by Lou Drendel for his book, The Air War in Vietnam.
LCDR Frank retired USN.
18 months later I was flying for UAL.
PO Bush went on to be a plane captain for Blue Angels.
Lost track of Walker.

streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:27pm

the above is a test of

the above is a test of pulling an image off f-berg

I tried to edit the c&p to make it more readable but, no workee.

Whoops, now it worked. came thru ok second time.
Maybe a delay factor

streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:29pm

?

?
streber streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:30pm

ok this time

ok this time
streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:33pm

Something not right in the

Something not right in the editing? Admin send me a PM I will try to explain
streber
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:43pm

Sent.

Sent.

petedivine
Oct 21, 2018 - 4:45pm

The comment about the header

The comment about the header has been discussed several times. We're working on a solution.

Regarding the comment about the "right third of the editor window disappears"... are you saying it extends off the screen? Are you viewing on the iPad in landscape or portrait?

3/19 10:00 ET Factory Orders (Jan)
3/20 2:00 ET FOMC Fedlines
3/20 2:30 ET CGP presser
3/22 9:45 ET Markit PMIs
3/22 10:00 ET Wholesale Inventories (Jan)

3/11 8:30 ET Retail Sales (Jan)
3/11 10:00 ET Business Inventories (Dec)
3/12 8:30 ET CPI (Feb)
3/13 8:30 ET Durable Goods (Jan)
3/13 8:30 ET PPI (Feb)
3/14 8:30 ET Import Prices (Feb)
3/14 10:00 ET New Home Sales (Jan)
3/15 8:30 ET Empire State Manu Index
3/15 9:15 ET Cap. Util. & Ind. Prod.

3/5 9:45 ET Markit and ISM services PMIs
3/5 10:00 ET New home sales (Dec)
3/6 8:30 ET Trade Balance (Dec)
3/7 8:30 ET Productivity and Unit Labor Costs
3/8 8:30 ET Housing starts (Jan)