Welcome to the updated TF Metals Report! We hope you enjoy the new experience.

We've changed payment processors, so any existing renewals will need to be re-subscribed after expiration. You will receive an email when this happens. If you have any questions, send a message through the Contact page.

Starting Fresh

Sat, Oct 20, 2018 - 12:06pm

The updated TFMR is up and running!

As you've no doubt noticed, the revamped TFMR is a complex beast. There are all sorts of updates and added capabilities and this will make the experience for all of us here even better.

The old site was built on a Drupal platform in 2011 and a lot has changed over the years as technology has surged forward. Think of trying to use your 2011 Blackberry to access all of 2018's apps and websites. Going forward, our new site will eliminate the issues we've had with Apple products. It was also end the frustrating cycle of forced logins/logouts. It also has complete mobile capability. And a whole bunch more new stuff that I don't even know about yet.

So, thank you for your patience as we work out the bugs and get acquainted with everything. New and improved can sometimes feel frustrating and unnecessary, however, in this case, it was completely necessary and worthwhile.

As you know, I'm away from Turdfork this weekend as MrsF and I are visiting LT#1 at college. (And boy-oh-boy do I have a raging headache today from too many beers at the local Oktoberfest last evening!) I had promised everyone a podcast this morning but, frankly, I don't know yet how to post one! So, just this quick update.

In Comex gold, It was great to see price close at $1230 yesterday. That's another GREEN weekly candle and maintaining above $1200 and $1220 is very important in terms of a bullish/hopeful chart configuration. For next week, the goal remains a close above the 100-day moving average and then $1240 as this will engender even more Spec short-covering.

And as you can see on the gold CoT below, a MASSIVE move in Spec short-covering already took place back on Thursday the 11th when price surged through the 50-day and ended up $34 on the day. We'll discuss this more on Monday.

In Comex silver, that reverse H&S we've been discussing continue to trace out. On the weekly chart,  getting back above and staying back above $14.50 is seemingly an important development. As expected, the move in the silver CoT wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was in gold.

Again, thank you for your patience as we get restarted and Ron and his team work out any kinks that suddenly appear. Have a great weekend and I look forward to next week.

Lemming · Oct 20, 2018 - 9:38pm

The TFMR Logo and Inbox Account Profile Logout bar take up a full third of the screen on my Android S5 Cellphone in portrait mode. I'm typing this holding the phone vertically because in portrait mode the TFMR Logo and keyboard cover the whole screen.

Not whining, just advising you of the bugs.

· Oct 20, 2018 - 9:42pm

@Don Durrett said:

"I agree with most of the negative comments regarding the upgrade. My biggest complaint is the header. That should only use up 1 inch instead of 3 inches. Put everything to the right of the logo and free up the space. Please, please, please.

Even better, when we scroll down, make the header scroll up and disappear."

I'm not sure what you mean by 3" used by the header. What type of device are you using? Do you have a screen shot? Maybe you are on some type of tablet where the formatting is off. If you could provide a picture that would be most helpful.

On every device the header at the top uses no more than about 1" for me. Please, any details about device being used, format, or even better a picture would be appreciated.

Lemming · Oct 20, 2018 - 9:44pm

Thanks Lemming, this is helpful. Gives us some specifics to narrow down to a specific issue. I'm sure we'll be able to get that resolved.

Outback · Oct 20, 2018 - 9:48pm

Terrance, you should be unmuted. Let me know if you have any other issues.

gold way p · Oct 20, 2018 - 9:56pm

Thank you for fixing all my issues. I really appreciate it.

boomer sooner · Oct 20, 2018 - 10:01pm

Chad said:

"So, when coming back to a thread you have to "scan" all comments from the beginning?

This comment is on page 2 (at least it was when typing).  If I leave the current thread and check yesterday's thread for missed comments, you have to start at the beginning?  Then come back to the current thread and scan from the beginning also?

How can someone skip to unread or is this not possible anymore?"

Referencing back to the comment I posted earlier: https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/683791#comment-683791

You don't have to scan from the beginning. If you bookmark the last comment read it will take you back to the same page. The "go to unread comments" is currently not on the site, for reasons I outlined in the posted comment. I guess the question I would ask everyone is, how do you keep up to date on the newest tweets on Twitter? Or what happens if we are able to grow the site to where Craig is getting thousands of comments on a post?

I think displaying number of unread comments is a quaint idea for a site without much interest in growing. I can guarantee when people see "View 3,792 comments" on a Washington Post article, the number of unread comments doesn't make much difference.

I'll just say again this is ultimately a decision for Craig, but at least the way it existed on the old site is incompatible with an effective scaling solution.

AngryCitizen · Oct 20, 2018 - 10:03pm

I appreciate it, and thanks for not being an AngryCitizen, AngryCitizen. smiley

SteveW · Oct 20, 2018 - 10:11pm

@SteveW, thanks for the feedback. Yes, some of the ideas we have are along these lines, but unfortunately it would need to be created outside of the existing architecture. The core software tracks every unread comment per user if this feature is enabled. There are potential options, it's just not nearly as straightforward as we would like.

I'm also curious to know feedback from others on the questions I posed in a previous comment. What do people do when using Twitter, since there is no notion of "unread tweets"? In such a setup, we're always missing things. Also what happens if TFMR is getting 1500 comments per post? Is anyone seriously going to use "# of unread comments"? At a certain point, there are only so many hours in a day.

Haha... the yellow names replace the yellow highlight that used to exist on all of Turd's comments. So the only choice you get is yellow, and you have to come work for TFMR to get it. :)

· Oct 20, 2018 - 10:13pm

abundance said:

"where do I find 'starting fresh' ...in blogs or podcasts?"

You can find it on the home page. Sorry, probably should have clarify this... clicking the logo in the upper left corner takes you to home.

Marchas45 · Oct 20, 2018 - 10:16pm

Hey Charlie, like I mentioned on a previous post Craig has full ability to adjust the background color if he wants an off-white, gray, green, purple, orange, or something else.

Can even go with the pink background of the Financial Times if he prefers: https://www.ft.com/

smiley

Marchas45 · Oct 20, 2018 - 10:19pm

Charlie, yes the image posting is from external URLs. All of the pictures came over to the new site... if you look through any of your old comments you will see them.

I shared some more details about images here: https://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/683846#comment-683846

fluxplus · Oct 20, 2018 - 10:29pm

fluxplus said:

"Admin. When refreshing the page while on last page of the comments, it jumps to first page after refresh. Elementary mistake and very enjoying. Fix pagination."

The reason you are experiencing this is comments are not like they were on the old site. When you click the "next" page on comments, notice that the URL does not change. That is because we're speeding up the site by only refreshing the comments. So, if you attempt to do a browser refresh when on the last page, of course you're just going to return to the first page... the URL never changed.

I'm assuming you are refreshing to try to catch the newest comments on a post. If you want to do something like that, you actually have to put the page number at the end of the URL. The last page is always the page # in the pager minus 1 (because the first page is technically the 0th page).

So if I wanted to see the last page of this current post, I would enter a URL like this (note the "?page=3#comments" at the end):

glenno321 · Oct 20, 2018 - 10:30pm

Just trying out the posting everything seems to be working fine. I will know how I like it in another while

Joseph Warren · Oct 20, 2018 - 11:00pm

I use my iPhone for accessing the web the majority of the time. I'm definitely finding it more of an eye strain to read the text on the new site. All that white and the small black print is tough on the eyes. This wasn't an issue for me on the old site.

Libero TF Metals Admin · Oct 20, 2018 - 11:14pm

when i rotate the iphone 6 horizontally, the upper third of the viewing area is locked into the TFMR round logo with lines on right side for blog, podcast, forums etc. and at the very top of the screen is inbox, account, profile, and logout.  These are constantly displayed as I scroll through the posts, so my viewing area is a little more than 2/3 rds of the screen.  I do not recall this being in the old site.  Is this just me?

Someone else posted this, "My biggest complaint is the header. That should only use up 1 inch instead of 3 inches. Put everything to the right of the logo and free up the space. Please, please, please. "

I am seeing this also using a mac air, and the same issue on my iPhone.  The horizontal header is a waste of viewing space, and doesn't need to be there always.

Joseph Warren · Oct 20, 2018 - 11:20pm

The old site was not designed for mobile at all. Trying to use it on a phone was awful. The only way you could read anything on the old site on a phone was to zoom in, so I'm not entirely sure how we can compare the two.

This is the first time TFMR has ever had a mobile-friendly site... and isn't it also possible to zoom in on each page as you could do with the old site?

As for sizing and colors, I've mentioned on a few posts that can be changed if Craig isn't happy with it.

Libero · Oct 20, 2018 - 11:24pm

Ok sounds like the iPhone 6 is hitting a size when in landscape that it triggers the display of the menu as it would for a tablet. It should not be that way, and not seeing that issue on other iPhones, Samsung Galaxy or iPad. No, it should not be taking up that much space. We'll get it checked out.

On the old site, everything was static. It was just one big page and was not mobile friendly at all. The only way to read anything was to zoom in really closely. The idea with the new site is to have the page automatically adjust to the optimal size for the device you are using.

Noteriety · Oct 20, 2018 - 11:50pm

Test.

Question: Is there a way to upload an image off of our pc's/rotten apples? Or do we need to use an image host?

AGXIIK · Oct 21, 2018 - 1:02am

What I notice is that the header including the listing of blog podcast forums etc plus the inevitable google ad, is around 2 inches high when I expand the screen to make the small print readable.  When I reduce print size the header drops to around 1 inch but the print is much smaller and harder to read.  So I need to double the print size but it doubles the header height

The train of comments that used to reside at the right side of the page are at the bottom of the page when I expand the print size. Finding the last comment is a little tough without bookmarking but I am not sure the mechanics of bookmarking   The old way was easier as a web experience.  The rest i chalk up to growing pains in the new site  It'll take a little getting used to  Since I do not use a smart phone or similar device, only a lap top, the other features that relate to those devices are not evident on my computer.

canary · Oct 21, 2018 - 1:19am

Admin said: "you need the URL of an image to add it. This can be found by right clicking the image and then selecting to "copy image location".

I used image from msn.com ...and it didn't work.

Admin said: "You need to use the Twitter image".

I have to use Twitter?

AGXIIK · Oct 21, 2018 - 2:16am

@AGXIIK, when you say "print size", I'm assuming you mean either printing the actual page, or using the "Zoom" option on a browser to make the text larger? Can you tell me which browser you are using, is it Firefox, Chrome, Safari or something else? I think we probably need to hide the header on scroll as has been suggested.

With the last comment feedback, we've certainly heard from a number of people about it today. It will need to be discussed with Craig and he can make a decision on what he would like to do.

As for the comments moving to the bottom, that is because of expanding the print size. By expanding it, you are essentially looking at the screen as though you are on a smart phone. To fit everything on the page properly, anything in the sidebar needs to slide below the content and comments. It cannot be placed on the side, otherwise on a smart phone everything would be so small that it would be completely unreadable.

canary · Oct 21, 2018 - 2:19am

@canary, here is an image I just took from msn.com of Khashoggi... can you explain the steps you are using? Also what browser do you use? Sometimes the wording is different depending on the browser.

No, you don't have to use Twitter... that was in response to attempting to post images from a twitter feed on to the site. However the same basic principle works in either situation.

boomer sooner · Oct 21, 2018 - 2:49am

Admin-"I guess the question I would ask everyone is, how do you keep up to date on the newest tweets on Twitter?"

Don't use twitter.  I come here because this place sorts most of the bullshit out.

Admin-"I can guarantee when people see "View 3,792 comments" on a Washington Post article, the number of unread comments doesn't make much difference."

If we get 3,792 posts on one thread, you bet your ass every one will be read because all hell broke loose and the globe is getting ready to blow (or glow).  This isn't some blowhard bullshit news site.  It's a "community" of like-minded people trying to decipher the propaganda put forth on such sites as WaPo, thats why we pay for the privilege of having a private chatroom.  If the goal is to turn TFMetalsreport into WaPo, Breitbart, Hedge or any other propaganda organization, then it really doesn't matter.  DPH may be back after all.

Boswell · Oct 21, 2018 - 3:20am

"Last Post" workaround?

I noticed on my profile page, scroll down to your "Comments", click on your last comment and you will get back to that page...

Post a last comment, something relevant, not just "Last Comment" before you leave?

Boswell · Oct 21, 2018 - 3:28am

Yeah that could be done, but I'd prefer we find a different approach. Otherwise I know what will happen... it will quickly devolve from something relevant to everyone posting "track" or "follow" in a comment because they're in a hurry.

boomer sooner · Oct 21, 2018 - 3:35am

Popularity of a site does not make it "bullshit" or a propaganda organization.

boomstick · Oct 21, 2018 - 3:47am

Ron, I agree with everything Chad said.

As for your argument against tracking last comment read, just disallow commenting on posts more than a week old (and pitch the tracking data).

Also, the default font size is too small. Stackers tend to be old fogeys with bad eyesight. Yes, I know I can make my phone browser use a different size, but then I'd have to change settings twice every time I came here.

Also, please bring back the ability to read a blocked post without unblocking the poster.

boomstick · Oct 21, 2018 - 3:56am

There's no "argument" here. I'm simply stating the facts of the situation. It's Craig's site, so it's ultimately up to him to decide.

Once again, default font is Craig's decision. We have plenty of settings built into the site and he can change as he sees fit.

I don't understand the point of blocking someone if you're still reading their posts.

RickshawETF · Oct 21, 2018 - 5:07am

When you compose a comment, what happened to the "preview" button to view the whole composition before posting?

11/15 8:30 ET Empire State Fed