×

Error message

HTTP error -1002 occurred when trying to fetch .

Welcome to the updated TF Metals Report! We hope you enjoy the new experience.

We've changed payment processors, so any existing renewals will need to be re-subscribed after expiration. You will receive an email when this happens. If you have any questions, send a message through the Contact page.

The Battle Continues

Fri, Sep 9, 2011 - 8:53am

I thought the Swiss were always supposed to be "neutral" in global battles for supremacy. Apparently not.

We are clearly in a very interesting battle for the price of gold. Through their actions, "Western" central banks (the bad guys) have made it quite clear that they would like to see the price of gold drop, hoping to see the value of gold be reduced at the same rate they are reducing the value of their fiat. "Eastern" central banks and prudent global investors (the good guys) are seizing upon each manufactured dip. Thankfully, so far, the good guys are winning. Whether this will cause our adversaries to give up and retreat to higher ground remains to be seen.

The battle will almost certainly be joined soon by the criminal C/C/C. The actions of the central banks have once again provided the volatility "cover" they need to raise margins. Of course, the C/C/C is not a true ally to the central banks in this battle because they are acting in their own self-interest. Like we saw yesterday, The Cartel will likely use any protracted weakness to continue covering long-held short positions.

Given all of that, I think we can be quite confident that recent trends will continue and, accordingly, that the trendlines on the charts below, especially the longer-term ones, will continue to act as solid support.

paper_9-9amgold1.jpgpaper_9-9amgold2.jpg

paper_9-9amgold8.jpgpaper_9-9amsilv8.jpg

So far, gold has rallied back nicely from its lows near 1825. I have a last of 1844. As the battle continues to rage, my suggestion to you is to stay on the sidelines. Hold your positions but only add on steep selloffs, down to the major support areas, where confidence is higher that floors can be found.

I'll be watching things all day and will update as needed. TF

exiledbear · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:26pm

Here we go again. Read your history, especially accounts of the 18th c hyperinflation in France. You think Germany was the only example of hyperinflation in europe? Think again.

It won't stop people from buying gold, they'll just go to the black market for everything. That's another long tradition in europe - doing deals under the table to get around stupid government policies.

¤ · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:28pm
Egyptians Ransack Building Housing Israel Embassy

Published September 09, 2011

| Associated Press

CAIRO – An Egyptian security official says a group of about 30 protesters have broken into an apartment one floor below the Israeli Embassy in a high-rise building in Cairo and are dumping hundreds of Hebrew documents off the balcony.

Hundreds of protesters have been converging on the embassy throughout the afternoon and into the night, tearing down large sections of a security wall outside the 21-story building housing the embassy.

The security official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

No one answered the phone at the embassy late Friday.

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/09/09/egyptians-ransack-building-housing-israel-embassy/#ixzz1XVMKsE8e

Geo Vuk · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:39pm

Why all the 'gold' is a good question?

Fried(e)

¤ · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:43pm

G7 paper over widening cracks

• September 10, 2011 10:03 A.M.

G7

OFFICIALS from the world's leading advanced economies papered over divisions among themselves as they sought to assure sceptical investors and voters that they had solutions to economic woes on both sides of the Atlantic. {C}{C}{C}

The inability of finance ministers and central bankers from the Group of Seven nations to come up with a decisive response so far to problems of growth was reflected in US and European markets, which tumbled as the G7 officials met inside a cliff-top palace overlooking the sea.

The officials used the meeting to discuss different measures to bolster growth. In Europe, battered by a debt crisis that threatens to get further out of hand, ministers looked for support for their plans to expand the flexibility of a bailout fund. US officials cited President Barack Obama's jobs proposal to make the case they were taking steps to boost the tepid recovery -- and argue that others should act boldly.

The same G7 policymakers will meet in two weeks in Washington during the annual meeting of the International Monetary Fund and then several weeks later in Paris as part of the Group of 20 industrialized and developing nations. Leaders of the G20 are scheduled to meet in Cannes in November.

While the G20 has become the main vehicle for organising global economic policies, the G7 still plays an important role in setting the global agenda. That is particularly the case now when problems in the US and Europe threaten growth in developing countries.

During the height of the global financial crisis in 2008 and 2009, the G7 -- the US, Canada, Britain, Germany, France, Italy and Japan -- came together with others in the G20 to stimulate their...

Goofy · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:44pm
Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now in the Fire
Scott Johnson Geo Vuk · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:46pm

This picture is surreal. Them standing in front of their ponzi scheme in which financially enslaves its users. You can almost see the strings holding them up coming from above. Smile guys, you are only behind one the greatest oppression stories in the modern age. Best to not think of it this way I am sure.

¤ · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:47pm
Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself
Tony Montana · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:48pm

Sal: "The latest rumor making the rounds of speculation out there from very credible people, I might add, is that there could be a huge intervention this weekend with all the central banks around the world; the ECB, the FED, the DOJ all coming into a major intervention, maybe an additional QE as soon as this weekend going into G7."

Cheryl: "A global intervention or a European intervention?"

Sal:"A global intervention; that's the latest speculation that's going around the street."

Global monetary stimulus (Guest comment)

Sal: "It's speculation but QE has been part of that speculation"

Cheryl : "We have some good journalist here, we'll check it out."

exiledbear · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:51pm

And offset them to the left. That way, they can tack on extra zeros at the end when they need to. You know, when they need to turn a 100 FRN into a 1000 FRN or a 10000 FRN or even a 1000000 FRN

Stormdancer · Sep 9, 2011 - 8:53pm

Would cost you, but likely set you up with earning power in almost any future scenario (legal background + fluent mandarin) and you might find at least one of your little ones took to it all well enough to pursue certifications in business/scientific/legal translation.

Make a focused family project out of a computer based mandarin language program.

Next summer, spend three months immersed someplace like this:

Cost about $1500.00 per mo (instruction, books, lunch) + 500.00 for apartment (double bed..could sleep two) + airfare, visa, food, incidentals per person. Could probably do the three months in style for $10,000 a head.

A little cheaper if you take the option of living with a Chinese family (preferred due to more thorough immersion in both language and culture).

You might consider the HSK certification program for yourself while the kids do the slightly less demanding "Monthly Intensive" route. If you prepared on your own with a computer based program before going I bet you could pass the HSK level 4 exam in the three months.

At minimum, you'd have an incredible experience with your kids while they were getting an eye-opening experience of the world (and lots of time with Dad).

If one (or more) of your little ones found a talent for languages they could continue this type of pursuit with perhaps German and then Russian. If one happened to pursue certified translator qualifications - they would have skills that would allow them to earn very good money in almost any imaginable future.

Not an easy task for a lawyer to find three months away I'm sure and the money isn't peanuts, but I suspect the ROI is high.

And you just might find yourself refreshed and invigorated upon return to your work after three months of a totally different kind of "brain-burn" smiley

Just an idea....

Rui · Sep 9, 2011 - 9:00pm

... before CBs throw out a major amount of FIAT patchwork. Do they have enough ammo to do it now? I don't know. But I'm sure as heck they'd love to pull it.

AinT · Sep 9, 2011 - 9:32pm

Read a post a bit earlier in this thread, sorry can't remember who it was by, about the PIIGS aligning themselves with China in the future. I just found this article on the BBC news website. It seems that England is getting in on the Yuan action actively as well. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14845892

BlackHawk Eric Original · Sep 9, 2011 - 9:36pm

Here's my Patches, an English Pointer, she's serious

View Full Size Image

I_ate_the_crow · Sep 9, 2011 - 10:11pm

In each instance, whether it is in Libya, Algeria, Syria, Iran, or Pakistan, immense efforts have been made by these governments to destroy entirely these organizations. In each case, the US purposely arms, trains, and shelters these organizations, with troupes of dissent leaders populating London, Washington, and Langley, Virginia, creating a "rouge's UN" of sorts. Careful observers who check the backgrounds of "experts" brought onto the duplicitous BBC, CNN, or Al Jazeera networks for interviews can see sometimes 2-3 of these exiled extremist leaders at a time being given airtime and dressed up as "freedom fighters." The threat of militant extremism is one the United States government and its allies have been purposefully perpetuating as a pretext for expanding military and economic power into sovereign nation-states disinterested in their Wall Street and London centric "globalization."..............

While many may say the "War on Terror" was Bush's war, a legacy Obama has inherited, it is clear through Obama's "actions" that the war has continued on in earnest, even expanded, following the same path with all but superficial rhetoric affixed to give it a more "progressive' look. The current conflagration in the Middle East and North Africa was planned all the way back in the early 90's with each president since then, rubber stamping the steps necessary to push the plan for a "new Middle East" forward.

It was Bush Sr. who ravaged Iraq and left US troops permanently stationed in the Middle East. Clinton oversaw Al Qaeda's ushering in of NATO intervention in the Kosovo conflict. Bush Jr. of course was in office when Afghanistan and Iraq were invaded and occupied. Now, Obama is overseeing the "Arab Spring" for which activists were trained and bankrolled by the US State Department before he even came into office. He is also overseeing the destruction of Libya, and the destabilization of Syria..........

We have seen how in nearly every case, national governments have attempted to crush Al Qaeda, and in every case the US and UK have propped them up again. We see how each war is explicitly engineered and promoted by the same corporate-financier interests capitalizing on them at everyone else's expense. In the 1930's United States Marine Corps General Smedley Butler stated, "war is a racket," and explained that a racket is best described "as something that is not what it seems to the majority of the people. Only a small "inside" group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few, at the expense of the very many. Out of war a few people make huge fortunes."

Clearly today, this "racket" has become so advanced, so elaborate, so pervasive in politics and culture, that the label of "racket" doesn't quite suit it. A better term could be a, "scientific dictatorship" where teams of highly trained propagandists, in tandem with the corporate-owned media, including Hollywood, the music industry, publishing houses, and PR firms, all work to manage the public's perception on a global scale. It is both terrifying as it is perhaps overreaching. The "War on Terror" is a fraud, and one that is now unraveling. For every lie that is told, a vast amount of resources must be spent to sell it and continue propping it up. No matter how much is spent, if a mind wakes up to the fraud, it does so permanently. However vast the fraudulent "War on Terror" is, those speaking the truth face a downhill battle now reaching critical mass. Libya is being handed over to terrorists by the same exact people who told our sons and daughters to lay down their lives to fight these very same people. No amount of propaganda, however scientifically formulated, can obfuscate the treason that has taken place.

Brian Cooke · Sep 9, 2011 - 10:34pm

this would be a REALLY GOOD TIME for you to drop the "Pink Floyd-Money" video......come on DJ-DPH! it's appropriate! i would love to see Bernanke, rolling up his sleeves, and yelling at the help "i need more fuckin ink you idiots!" as he literally cranked the handle on the printing press...."hurry you jerk-offs! this is a frickin crisis!" sweat pouring off his bald brow.....Geitner loading paper into the tray feverishly.......shit flying everywhere... anyhow, hey DPH, how bout that tune? Peace

ginger · Sep 9, 2011 - 10:39pm

Crow.. ..If even half that article is true then our leaders even far back sold their souls to the devil a long time ago. ...I just don't get it. It's like most all even potential candidates have already sold out. Where are the good men (and women)? Is there only one or two Ron Pauls among us? ...What do you have to take a written test before running and you don't get in as a candidate until you have successfully passed the test for whether you would sell out your soul for the cause of evil world domination/dictatorship? ....WHERE are the folks who would stand that are in a position to run? ...Nothing will ever change until the good guys step up and undo this. ..Who would want to though? I get that. It's a death sentence for your career..reputation..etc. ...and maybe even a literal one. ...But it is going to be too late soon. I hope it is not already.

TheGoodDoctor · Sep 9, 2011 - 10:54pm
· Sep 9, 2011 - 11:00pm

That is a fantastic idea! I certainly will keep that in mind.

TheGoodDoctor · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:02pm

KWN Eric Sprott - From Here Silver is a 30 Bagger to $1,200

When asked where he sees the price of silver headed Sprott responded, “I think silver will outperform gold in the next decade. If silver should trade at a 16 to 1 ratio (to gold), it will probably trade at 10 to 1 because things tend to overshoot. Let’s use Jim Sinclair’s $12,000 target, that would suggest $1,200 silver, which is a thirty bagger from here...The biggest reason it (silver) should go there is people should fear bank deposits, that’s what I think they should fear.”

Simply amazing! laugh

· Sep 9, 2011 - 11:04pm

Borrow money to buy metals? My first thought is what idiot would loan me money to buy metal? Oh, my CC company already did... at zero % until next April. so I bought metal. My job allows me to make the payment. I am speculating that the rise in silver price will make the deal profitable. This is not margin buying. It is a 1 to 1 ratio. If silver drops 14%, I lose 14%. I can handle that.

The ethical problem arises if I never intend to pay it back. I am a firm believer in the law of sowing and reaping. If I intentionally rip off the CC company, I am inviting trouble into my finances at a later date.

I am a teacher. It is possible that my administrators drive me crazy and I am no longer able to function as a college professor. I could lose my position and go on disability, heading for a bankruptcy. My income is reduced and I cannot pay back the CC. There is no ethical problem with being unable to pay. I took a risk. It could fail and I would be liable. The bank or CC company is also taking a risk.

The key for ethics is your intent.

I don't think a zero%CC for PMs deal is very risky for the next 6 months.

@Aztek02 A thought to consider. If you do not take the equity out of your home, you are likely to lose much of it in the next five years. Real estate has a ways to fall before it bottoms out. Then it will take years to recover. I advise people to get your equity someplace safe while you can--especially if you can afford a house payment. It's a no-brainer once you calculate in the home interest deduction on your payment. Housing prices are going nowhere.

margaritatime · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:05pm

I will make this short - just wanted to say 'Where in the world have you been Ginger!?' ;)

I have banned myself from the keyboard for the evening. Happy hour + keyboard no mixy..

and no exiledbear I didn't have a 'McNuggetini' [so gross lol]

going to plug away at spreadsheets and hope I don't break the entire internet. cya peeps!

¤ · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:08pm
Soundgarden - Hands All Over Music Video (self made)

Hands all over the eastern border
You know what? I think we’re falling
From composure
Hands all over western culture
Ruffling feathers and turning eagles into vultures

Got my arms around baby brother
Put your hands away
Your gonna kill your mother, kill your mother
And I love her

Hands all over the coastal waters
The crew men thank her
Then lay down their oily blanket
Hands all over the inland forest
In a striking motion trees fall down
Like dying soldiers

Hands all over the peasants daughter
She’s our bride
She’ll never make it out alive
Hands all over words I utter
Change them into what you want to
Like balls of clay
Put your hands away
Your gonna kill your mother
And I love her

¤ · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:14pm
Sponge - Plowed

Will i wake up
Is it a dream i made up
No i guess it's reality
What will change us
Or will we mess up
The only chance to
Connect with a dream

Say a prayer for me
I'm buried by the sound
In a world of human wreckage
I'm lost and i'm found
And i can't touch the ground
I'm plowed into the sound

To see wide open
With a head that's broken
Hang a life on a tragedy
Plow me under the ground
That covers the message
That is the seed

¤ · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:19pm
Jane's Addiction - Jane Says
Bohemian Blogger · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:23pm

Sometimes I've had to step away from following the metals (more than the weekends).

I follow it non-stop. It's my life.. from the kitco app, to the stock screen..
to the tfmetals report.. and seeing what everyone has to say.

I scroll down the pages and look for lots of hat cliks and then I stop.
what a great way to filter out the BS (brilliant strategy).

There is something reassuring about stacking physical and I do. Have about 40% in
physical (G&S), ten percent in cash & the rest on the sidelines, right now.

But I also love the SLV & GLD. Specifically options. Futures, I've done.
Not for me, right now anyways.. maybe down the road.

Work seems so menial.. when I am making much more returns trading.
Ya know.. makes me think, if I just focused on this during the day, wonder
what I could accomplish. What do you think the # is, to reach.. to trade full time?

Suppose it depends on individual overhead.

In traffic:

I like to pick the correct lanes in traffic and get to where I'm going faster.
It doesn't always work, it's partly luck, part paying attention &
recognizing trends & fundamentals, etc.

When surfing:

You pick your waves and some fizzle and other rides are awesome. You're able
to see what people are going for, where they are paddling, etc. This site helps
to serve me in that capacity & makes investing & speculating more fun.

----------------

So.. I needed to get away from the up and down of silver.. it was getting to me.

Though, not being in the game.. didn't happen. I just switched my focus.

I kept my habit of researching and just re-directed my efforts into
different niche commodities w/ a long term January 2013 'call' for oil.
Made money, sold. So, I'm coming clean.. I veered away from silver & gold.

I had fun. No regrets.. but I noticed distinctions.. from gold and silver.

I don't think I'll do miners again. I just couldn't fine anywhere else to invest in iron ore
& in my mind.. thought I'd be able to just keep it there, forget about it and casually
follow it. Only it didn't happen.. glued to my smart phone for updates, etc.

(I wish Iron Ore just had a physical which tracked the price w/ out having to deal with the miners).

As was previously, relayed to me in turds webbot interview.. w/ Jim Rogers, etc.
Miners trade like stocks and commodities trade like commodities and precious metals
trade like commodities & precious metals. He was saying he doesn't trade all the time.

Often rogers' does not trade, he said (he's on the sidelines looking for deals) & then
he junps in w/ both feet. I stacked physical for 7 yrs and followed closely. I feel
like 'daniel son' in how i learned about gold and silver, by falling love w/ them both.

So it got ingrained in me.. from like $700 gold, to where we are now.

A day came & I flirted with some different stuff:

Cashed out gold @ 1700 strike & put it into options & have made 180% (in a month);
in four trades. Silver, got out & went to oil, got out.. did an iron ore miner, which was up
20% & then I walked away with 5% gain (today was a doozie). Gained on all of them tho.

I'm making little pinch hits, here and there, utilizing fundamentals and bollinger bands,
etc. with minimal tools (consideting getting a series 7) & screens to be honest. Am starting
to think the more screens, etc can sometimes be too much to keep clarity & focus, what's going on.

To each his own, I suppose.. just know what is working for me. I am a private trader.
I long for someone to talk with about it & can't seem to find anyone that aren't fanatical &
this is the closest I feel like I can get to corresponding with intelligent speculators & investors.

It's an interesting dynamic when anonymity serves as a social catlyst ... to talking shop.
right? It's like we don't want people to know who we are and what we have in our war chest.
But, we do value.. the insight of other experts and yet in person we wouldn't want to show our cards...

We do want to share insight and this place hits the nail (turd) on the head. So, when I was
out there, trading with other stuff oil, mining company, etc.. I noticed that b/c I had
followed and studied gold and silver for so long.. moving to a new girlfriend, so to speak..

It's different. It's not that same. I feel like I have a relationship with gold and silver.
There like two girlfriends.. I love gold & silver, both. They both get me going in
different ways. My point is.. as I've followed them i've gotten to know them.

where i've gotten to know moods/ trends & while I can't quite put my finger on it..
I'm able to reallky zone in on gold and silver & get it.. maybe I'm getting a little too
abstract. Some of my posts hit big and spark better ideas/ topics from others.

@ the heart of what I want to say, is I don't think anything makes me feel the
way I feel when i speculate with gold and silver, feel like I'm plugged into the
matrix of it all. Other stocks and commodities, just don't compare (at all).

Why is that? i don't know.. so I don't know what i love about g&S..but I do.
I was thinking as I was driving to the dump... after work.. I'm thinking..
I don' think I'll be able to kick this trading habit, ever. It's too much fun.

I don't drink, etc.. this is my drug of choice. The feeling when making a trade
is so awesome, when your confident. you just feel like.. wow;
this is awesome. Do you ever feel it? Am I alone here.

It's beyond money.. it's like.. power, I suppose. Power of what.. hmm?
Have spoken about it before.. have worked so hard, so may times.. and
never caught a break.. in this arena; you earn it, it's yours.. that's that.

And.. yeah, the money that has been coming in & it's good; though this strategy, the ...
"As the battle continues to rage" kind of talk, the commraderie of us versus "the cartel",
can't quite put my finger on it.. but it's a feeling & I like being a part of this.

Feel privileged to have found this online paradise/ oasis to discuss amongst all of you.
It's my plan to pounce when the time is right w/ silver & gold. It's wild b/c the fiat could
totally lose it's value & it's a crap shoot.. but it could also compound significantly.

So I am 'going in for the kill' (song referenced below), Cheers! -41

TheGoodDoctor · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:47pm

International Forecaster September 2011 (#1) - Gold, Silver, Economy + More

By: Bob Chapman, The International Forecaster

This has some great information on the European crisis especially from the German side of things.

Uncle Fester · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:50pm

Was that a literal FUBM on the silver price with the middle finger just after noon today? The gent who gave us the horse last week should have seen it by now!

Fester

Dakini · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:55pm
Video unavailable

It was no biggie. laugh.

(I still didn't like RP's (Perry's that is) body posturing. Ewwww.) But Ron was wearing a gold tie!

Uncle Fester · Sep 9, 2011 - 11:57pm

You'll be happy to know I just started a new AGQ position today at $223.24. Profits will add to the Ag stack. The pennant that formed in August and the GSR 45 gap convinced me. Methinks gap gets filled next week, GSR back to 40!

IFester

Bohemian Blogger Uncle Fester · Sep 10, 2011 - 12:01am

What did you select for an expiry date, IFESTER?

Key Economic Events week of 6/11:

5/23 9:45 ET PMI Composite
5/23 10:00 ET New Home Sales
5/23 2:00 ET May FOMC minutes
5/25 9:20 ET Chief Goon Powell speech

Key Economic Events week of 5/14:
5/15 8:30 ET Retail Sales and Empire State Fed
5/15 10:00 ET Business Inv.
5/16 8:30 ET Housing Starts
5/16 9:15 ET Industrial Production

Key Economic Events week of 5/7:
5/9 8:30 ET PPI
5/9 10:00 ET Wholesale Trade
5/10 8:30 ET CPI
5/11 8:30 ET Import/Export Prices

Key Economic Events week of 4/30:
4/30 9:45 ET Chicago PMI
4/30 10:00 ET Pend Home Sales
5/1 9:45 ET PMI and ISM Mau Idx.
5/1 10:00 ET Const. Spending
5/2 2:00 ET FOMC fedlines
5/3 9:45 ET PMI/ISM Svcs.
5/3 10:00 ET Factory Orders

Key Economic Events week of 4/16:
4/16 8:30 ET Retail Sales, One Fed Goon speech
4/16 10:00 ET Business Invt.
4/17 9:15 ET Industrial Prod., Four Goon speeches