Welcome to the updated TF Metals Report! We hope you enjoy the new experience.

We've changed payment processors, so any existing renewals will need to be re-subscribed after expiration. You will receive an email when this happens. If you have any questions, send a message through the Contact page.

A Weekend Pass

Sat, Jul 28, 2012 - 1:09pm

The charts are so compelling that I felt I had to update the site today. I've also got a special promo for you some come on in..

First of all, the charts. I was alerted to this development yesterday by this terrific piece of analysis from KWN. Tom Fitzpatrick of Citigroup is a competent technician and his analysis here is spot-on.(https://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2012/7/27_KWN_-_Special_Friday_Gold_%26_Silver_Chart_Mania.html) The metals then closed strongly yesterday and we did, in fact, get bullish outside reversals in both gold and silver. Again, this is not a be-all-end-all indicator of a pending bull rush...but...it's certainly another log for the fire. Note, too, that even on the short-term charts, the metals have broken out of their recent pennants and seem to be setting sights on the horizontal, top-of-range resistance levels of $1640 and $29.

Trader Dan has posted some excellent charts, too. When you have a moment, you should check them out. https://www.traderdannorcini.blogspot.com/2012/07/gold-chart-and-comments.html

Yesterday's CoT was very, very interesting...at least in gold. The silver CoT was lifeless but at least it maintains a very bullish posture. The gold CoT is where the action was but, even there, it comes with a caveat. The survey was taken so close to August contract expiration that it was undoubtedly affected by it. Some of this will come out in the wash next week but, for now, the gold CoT was very bullish. Below is a C&P of my comments written shortly after the report was published at 3:30 yesterday. If you want to see the report yourself, here's a link: https://news.goldseek.com/COT/1343417555.php

Submitted by Turd Ferguson on July 27, 2012 - 3:02pm.
MODERATOR

Let's start with silver because it is a non-event, big zero. The Large Specs added 500 net long and The Evil Empire added 300 net short <yawn>. The EE net short ratio remains at an historically low (and extraordinarily bullish) 1.33:1
Gold, on the other hand, was crazy. Now, keep in mind that this report includes a lot of selling and some rolling of the August contract. Therefore, it's a little distorted and some of this distortion will undoubtedly be worked out in next week's report. That said, check this out:
Large Spec gold longs fell by 14,389. That's a lot. The Gold Cartel, though, covered 18,696 short contracts (total at 302,693) and added 3878 new longs (total at 166,448). This is a net change of 22,574. WOW! The new net short ratio for The Gold Cartel is a have-to-be-a-misprint 1.82:1. Again and for perspective, on 8/2/11, three days before The Great Cartel Panic post the S&P downgrade of the U.S., The Gold Cartel was short 442,ooo contracts and long 155,000 for a net short ratio of 2.86:1. This means that since the beginning of The Great Panic, The Gold Cartel has been able to reduce their net short position by 56%!! Simply amazing.
The other item of significance comes from the Small Specs. These are the ultimate outsiders and the consistent victims of Cartel shenanigans. Last week, the Small Specs dumped 1,810 longs (new total 53,970) and added 4,782 new shorts (new total 30,702). Their updated net long ​ratio is just 1.76:1. Again and for perspective, at the peak of the speculation in early April 2011, the small specs in gold were long 75,706 contracts and short 21,747 for a net long ratio of 3.48:1. This means that, since 4/5/11, the small specs in gold have reduced their net long excitement by over 70%!! ​Again, simply amazing.
As you know, the CoTs are not the be-all-end-all of fundamental statistics. They are already 72 hours old and nearly obsolete when we receive them. They are useful, however, in helping us get a general "feel" for bullish or bearish potential. With this in mind, this week's report is simply another signal that the next, major move in the metals will be UP...WAY UP...and not down. Take that to the (bullion) bank.

Like the charts, the CoT must be considered as part of the whole of your analysis. That said, both the gold and silver CoTs are obviously quite bullish in regards to the Cartel net short ratios.

Clearly, the table looks set for the "explosive, hot and historic" summer I've been predicting for some time now. There is just one problem: The FOMC meeting this week. All of this....the CoT, the charts, everything looks bullish and this is almost exactly where we've been on 5 or 6 occasions this year. The metals move up and look, or even begin, to break out and then The Bernank opens his mouth and The Cartels drop the hammer. We could very well be being set up again. I can see it now. Gold rallies near or through 1640 by Tuesday, sucking in a bunch of new spec longs (Spec longs that just sold last week. See above.) Then, The Bernank "disappoints" and gold quickly drops back toward 1600. The new spec longs sell out and even go short. Finally, on Friday with a whole new, fresh batch of spec shorts to squeeze, a horrific NFP number causes the metals to spike back higher and we finish the week about where we began.

Now let me state this clearly: This is not how it has to work. The charts and the CoT look great and we are likely on the verge of a big rally. However, would anyone be surprised if the week plays out almost exactly as I've described above?

Because this is a complicated scenario and because it is such an important week ahead, I decided to make yesterday's TurdTalksMetals podcast available to everyone. As I've mentioned before, it is much easier for me to clearly express myself verbally than through typed text and yesterday's podcast was quite effective (at least I think so). To access the podcast, simply clink the link below. Once you're there, hit the "play" button and the audio will begin.

If you like what you hear, please consider joining the community. The feedback from subscribers has been overwhelmingly positive so far, so I think you'll find that it's well worth the money. Additionally, next month we'll begin interacting with some industry "heavyweights". Gonzalo has lined up James Turk to be our first victim guest and the plan is to let members submit some of the questions. After that, I'll bring in Andy, Ned, Jim, James, Dan...you name it. My goal is to get you personal access to expertise you wouldn't otherwise have. It's going to be very informative and...a lot of fun. (And if you've been holding off on joining while we worked out "the bugs", come on in now. The site is safe, secure and fully-operational.)

I hope everyone has a safe and relaxing weekend...emphasis on relaxing. Next week promises to be crazy volatile so get ready. Come back Monday with your game face on. See you then!

Short Stack boatman · Jul 29, 2012 - 12:36pm

OBOZO !

I like that. I'm just having difficulty understanding how you can say a friends throat was cut for a watch, and then say the place is borderline dangerous !!!

boatman · Jul 29, 2012 - 12:39pm

well there is always single incidence stuff.........but there is trouble in any big city anywhere.......they are all borderline dangerous.

skullduggery up everywhere, mate.

Short Stack · Jul 29, 2012 - 12:45pm

Touche'

Around here we have fights breaking out on an almost nightly bases downtown. I think it has something to do with the price of beer having gone up. Occasional murders, children abandoned, animal (pet) abuse, child abuse, the list goes on... and on... and-

alphamorph · Jul 29, 2012 - 1:00pm

I think what Fired is saying is that, for every buyer there's a seller and viceversa. In other words, whenever someone is unloading their short position.... someone else is buying it. As Fire pointed out, it all depends on who is selling and who is buying. The bullion banks have been (purportedly) been steadily reducing their short position. They're the ones who cut the legs out from under Silver back in May/2011 (with the help of the Comex/Fed and probably the Whitehouse). If the bullion bank's intent, (led by JPM) is to wipe out much of their remaining short position in the coming months, then the price of silver will be driven much, much higher in a very short time.

kingboo · Jul 29, 2012 - 1:01pm
The blue line is physical dollars, the red line is all retail money in circulation..........the green line is "shadow banking money" that HAD to be created in order to keep the global economy from exploding in 2007, oh......it's fucking real. And the only reason we havent felt the true inflation that this obviously should have created is because this money is apart and seperate from the "retail money" that us stupid consumers use...... that's right, it was created FOR THE BANKS ONLY......TO SETTLE OVER-LEVERAGED BAD BETS AND CREDIT-DEFAULT-SWAPS, NOT TO BE DISBURSED INTO THE ECONOMY. Only one big problem with that.... A) like junkies..they need more and more of it just to survive, because contraction in a debt-based economy (such as ours) equals implosion.. B) THIS MONEY IS LEAKING INTO THE REAL ECONOMY, CREATING INFLATION AT AN EXPONENTIAL RATE. And this is why all the markets need to be rigged, so they can keep up the cherade. In other words.......the question isnt if we will crash......the real question is when. And as with anything exponential......the end always comes faster than you realized. Dont be lulled to sleep..cheeky
· Jul 29, 2012 - 1:02pm

Just because it is Sunday, I am bored, and the blog is slow today… here is my view:

In 1971 the United States decoupled metals from the world reserve fiat currency. Since that time we’ve experienced more inflation than ever before. That silver dollar reminds people of how much inflation there has actually been when one compares what a dollar bought in 1971 and today. Thus the Banking-cartel-evil-world-rulers must hold metal prices in check to keep commoners in the dark about the fiat system. For many years, Bear Stearns took on the task of manipulating silver lower (profiting as they did). When they went under, JP Morgan inherited their silver shorts and continued the job—some say at the direct request of The Bernank. Probably true.

$50 silver was a problem! Especially after a decade of sub $10 silver. Commoners were noticing and loading the boat (hence the accidents) with AG. Personally, I don’t think anyone expected JPMorgan and their friends at COMEX to commit illegal acts to keep the price suppressed. But that is what they did, multiple times: May 1 smash, MFG smash, a thousand mini-raids to pull fifty cents off the price. They chased the small spec investors out of the futures market.

Complicating the issues are the hedge funds and Wall St bank’s use of programmable algorithmic software to scan the news stories, prices, and movements to automate trading. Those SOBs can make 10,000 trades in the time I can click a mouse. Prior to 2008 they quietly scalped profits while the massive markets continued to inflate with mutual fund money and investors. More illegal practices followed—quote stuffing, pulling bids, etc that gave an unfair advantage to the big boys.

An “algorithm” is simply a set of logic instructions, e.g., if price goes down, then sell. If Bernank speaks, sell. Ad infinitum.

Since 2005 we have also seen the influx of new traders (like me) who took investing classes and started trading. In retrospect, I think I was fleeced by the high price of the tuition, encouraged to cash out my retirement acct to pay for it, and then tricked into algo-infested waters where I could not be competitive. I blew out half my account in 30 days. Crap! I could have bought $10 silver. Seems no different than the “bucket shops” of a past era where little investors were encouraged to come play and lose their savings. What a sucker I was. It makes me wonder how many of those 400 people at the Investools weekend seminars I attended have been fleeced also.

So little investors are getting out. Mutual funds are seeing consistent outflows. The trading volume is thin. Algos have taken over, and JPM is still short. All markets have been moving together up or down. but metals have to be forced to follow the markets down. We certainly cannot have them moving up every time the markets fall now can we. the commoners might notice and get wise. Nowthe BRICs nations are loading the boat with cheap metal (literally) and taking deliberate, careful steps to set up the Yuan as the new world reserve currency.

Why might we see another smash in price this week? It is because Fiat currencies are hanging by a thread and the cartel will keep suppressing commodities as long as possible. MOPE, jawboning, the Bernank tease, Dragi’s promises. Algos see it all and react. JPM silver algos react also. Commoners leave their retirement in their sluggish mutual funds to continue getting scalped and fleeced. The system must be maintained and that means keeping a lid on silver... For a while longer.

I am afraid that after the lid is off metals, we are at the endgame with fiat currency.

I am a converted conspiracy theorist and I believe much more is going on than this. But from a perspective of what we can see and document, the manipulation is inarguable and the trajectory of the economy is dismal. Who is behind it all and why? I’ll let our conspiracy colleagues point us to their posts in the forums.

Comrads in PMs, correct me and add to my perspective! I am just sounding off a bit here.

I better go buy that 100 oz bar I have been contemplating before the markets open...

Magpie · Jul 29, 2012 - 1:26pm

In fact, Washington sources told The Slog last night BST that Collyns – a confidante of both Geithner and Stournas – was on a specific mission to impress on Greek Finance bosses the US Treasury’s sincerity in offering Greece “almost unqualified support in the event of a return to the drachma”. The White House is betting on the strong likelihood of Greece becoming formally insolvent before any more bailout monies are available from Berlin-am-Brussels.

I Run Bartertown · Jul 29, 2012 - 1:35pm

what the first one says, but the second has subtitles:

2012 Romney Spanish Language Campaign Ad Touting His Focus on Economic Reforms
POCHO.COM Craig Romney Spanish Ad Now With English Captions
ClinkinKY · Jul 29, 2012 - 1:36pm

Boy! this guy is really torked!!!

FYI, This has
been checked via Snopes, who contacted Mr. Guthrie, who confirmed he did indeed write & send this letter to Ms. Pelosi.

Check his credentials. Then read his letter to Pelosi!
___________________________________________________

Born St.. Louis , Missouri , August 21, 1944

Bar Admissions: North Carolina , 1969

U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina , 1969

U.S. Tax Court

Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals

Education: Woodford College , 1966 A.B.

Mercer University , 1969 J.D.

Phi Alpha Delta

Vice-Justice, District XIV, 1968 - 1969

Professional Associations and Memberships:

North Carolina and American Bar Associations (Member, Sections on: Administrative Law;
General Practice; Litigation)

Board of Directors, Girl Scout Council

Life Member, National Eagle Scout Association

Life Member, Girl Scouts of
America

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Ms. Pelosi:

I write to you out of utter disdain! You are as despicable and un-American as the traitor Jane Fonda.

I am a soon to be 65 year-old who has voted in every state and local election since 1966. I have voted for both Republicans and Democrats alike. I have worked on campaigns for both Republicans and Democrats, white and black. I served the country that I love in Vietnam , as my son did in the Middle East . I was awarded two bronze stars. I have been involved in politics since age 6 when my father was campaign manager for a truly great American Congressman, Charles Raper Jonas, who worked for his constituents and his country, and was to be admired, unlike you.

You obviously haven't read the Constitution recently, if ever,
the Federalist Papers, or even David McCullough's book on John Adams. You ought to take the time while riding around in your government provided luxury executive jet to do just that. You represent Socialistic and even Marxist principals that our founding fathers tried to avoid when setting out the capitalistic republican form of government represented by our Constitution.

I find it interesting that you and your husband are multi-millionaires with much of your fortune being made as a result of your public service. You have controlled legislation that has enhanced your husbands investments both on and off shore. At the same time you redistributed the wealth of others. Our system of a free market economy is being destroyed by the likes of you, Harry Reid, and now our President. You ride around in a Gulfstream airplane at the tax payers expense while criticizing the presidents of companies who produced something for the
economy. You add nothing to the economy of the United States ; you only subtract therefrom.

I would like to suggest that you return to the city of fruitcakes and nuts and eat your husbands’ canned tuna and pineapple produced by illegal immigrants and by workers who have been excluded from the protection that 90% of the legal workers in the United States have.

I await your defeat in the next election with glee...

Don’t ever use the term un-American again for protesters who love this country and are exercising their rights upon which this country was founded. By the way, while I served in the Army, I was spit on by the same type of lunatics who support you and who you probably supported in the 60s and 70s. You are an embarrassment to all of us who served so that you would have the protected right of free speech to call us un-American. But at the same time, I have the right to write you to notify you that I
consider you to be un-American, as do the majority of the people of this formerly great country. You are a true disgrace to most of the people who served this country by offering themselves for public service in the United States Congress.

I feel certain your aides will not share this letter with you, but I intend to share it with many...

Excalibur · Jul 29, 2012 - 1:55pm

On more serious matters, the British Women are playing the Canadians. Canadians ahead.

They must be cold in their bikinis, the spectators are in coats.

(Don't flame me - it is the weekend)

Edit: But the Brits came back and pipped the Canadians and the sun came out!

Roark · Jul 29, 2012 - 2:03pm

If quantitative easing is the wholesale printing of worthless fiat, then qualitative easing must be the concersion of fiat into metals :)

Support Qualitative Easing!

Cononish1314 Roark · Jul 29, 2012 - 2:24pm

It might even be the recognition that there's much more to life than economix.

That means to an end thingie isn't working out so well just now.

Mudsharkbytes · Jul 29, 2012 - 2:25pm

…while I certainly sympathize with Mr. Guthrie and agree he is obviously stoked, sadly, I found little of substance in his letter, which, while both long and articulate, ultimately amounted to little more than a series of name callings and labels.

While blowing off steam can be fun (I'm guilty of that myself), it can also be counter-productive. Since his intention was to distribute this widely, it would have been useful to detail a bit more exactly why Pelosi and her cohorts are dangerous socialists, Marxists & etc…, for instance, what was the legislation she controlled that enhanced her husbands business, and how did it?

Just a tip - if you want to persuade people with opposing viewpoints to consider yours, calling them 'fruitcakes and nuts' and 'lunatics', doesn't usually work too well. Assuming people who spit upon you are Pelosi supporters is a real stretch too.

Personally, and I'm not saying he's making this up here, I know several Vietnam veterans and not a one of them has ever told me he's been spit upon or called 'baby killer' or any of that other crazy shit I hear about. Many many Vietnam vets were conscripted against their will, i.e., drafted, didn't want to go but did anyway, and its been my observation people who were against the Vietnam war were, by and large, able to separate their objections to the war from the poor schlubs who were, essentially, forced to participate in it. I could be wrong, but I think the actual incidents of Vietnam vets being spat upon is probably way less than what we're let to believe.

I find the best, most compelling arguments, are usually stated calmly, rationally, and are devoid of rancor.

Jan Roos · Jul 29, 2012 - 2:35pm

Hi everyone, I was strolling through the mall yesterday here in South Africa and went into a gold coin shop where the salesman showed me a 1/2 oz Nelson Mandela 90th Birthday Medallion selling for R32000 ($4000) The coin was made by a mint in Norway and only 9000 was minted. Can't remember the grade though.

The thing that struck me was that when the coin was launched in 2008 it sold for R15000 and today it's at R32000. My thinking is that when Mandela dies (he's 94) the coin should shoot up in value fairly quickly as he is a global icon and people will rush to get a piece of his memorabilia.

But then again, maybe the pricing is just being inflated irrationaly and will collapse in the next few years. I know Jack shit about numis and was wondering if anyone could offer some insight here?

Cheers

Jan

NetRover2 · Jul 29, 2012 - 2:44pm

I just recently watched a webinar provided by Mike Dillard and The Elevation Group. I am trying to determine if it is a scam. He does mention Gonzalis Lira in the presentation and alludes that Gonzalis is on board. Perhaps Turd could ask Gonzalis about the program as it does promote buying both gold and silver.

If other members of TFMetalsReport have any knowledge or experience with the program, I would appreciate any feedback either positive or negative.

Like they say...if it sounds to good...it probably is.

Skeptical NetRover2

Hold over Short Stack · Jul 29, 2012 - 2:59pm

""Trust me, when all the smoke has cleared and the last body is put in the ground, there will still be plenty of gold and silver to go around for those that remain.""

I completely agree, I think there was a misunderstanding,

(""Gold and Silver can no longer be used as money globally. Too many people. Not enough gold and silver." )

was a quotation from an earlier poster ,not me. I was only responding to an earlier post is all.

Cononish1314 Jan Roos · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:02pm

I tried to buy a Mandela medallion from a company called Chard in the UK but found that it wasn't available as promised.

Here is the current link:

treefrog · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:16pm

i like the way you think, but i'm not sure about the terminology. "easing" isn't quite what i would like to see. it seems to imply a relaxing of standards - a lowering of quality.

maybe "qualitative rise? qualitative return?" ...nah, the sheeple wouldn't buy it. as h.l. mencken once said, "nobody ever went broke by underestimating the good sense or taste of the general public."

Stoxxman · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:22pm
QE to infinity · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:25pm

maybe "qualitative rise? qualitative return?

"Return to quality"

"Quality economics"

"Drive to quality"?

Something with "quality" in it:)

Icarus Mudsharkbytes · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:34pm

Mudsharkbites. You write: "Personally, and I'm not saying he's making this up here, I know several Vietnam veterans and not a one of them has ever told me he's been spit upon or called 'baby killer' or any of that other crazy shit I hear about"

I think you need to do a little more investigation before spouting off bullshit like this. Let me clue you in on a little secret. IT HAPPENED EVERYWHERE. You couldn't walk anywhere in this country in uniform without being accosted by Jane Fonda Clones. I can personally vouch for it. Spit, 'baby killer', and tomatoes. University of Colorado Boulder Fall 1972.

Educate yourself before spouting verbal diarrhea.

Icarus

Rico · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:37pm

Thank you, those who answered my questions about Costa Rica. Definitely sounds like it's not ready for prime time.

Stoxxman · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:44pm

Sure appears the bottom has been well established.

Magpie · Jul 29, 2012 - 3:58pm

Pelosi, Samoa, Tuna cannery, minimum wage. Too many links to post, and you have to decide which ones to believe.

And, you didn't talk to the right people. Maybe you should have asked here before you used such a broad brush about Vietnam returnees' experiences. Icarus isn't the only one here who witnessed what happened.

thurd aye · Jul 29, 2012 - 4:00pm

Just a taster.

In antiquity the gold/silver ratio was about 10. Five hundred years ago, at the time of the discovery of America by Columbus, the ratio was still only 11. The decline in the value of silver continued during the next three hundred years. On April 2, 1792, the U.S. dollar was defined as 371.25 grains of fine silver or 24.75 grains of fine gold. This was bimetallism at the ratio of 15 at a time the market ratio was closer to 15, thus overvaluing silver and putting the dollar on a de facto silver standard. On June 28, 1834, the U.S. Congress increased the official bimetallic ratio from 15 to 16.

This long essay I am finding good stuff and can be found at:

· Jul 29, 2012 - 4:04pm

Sale is almost over.

More silver just left the market and is now headed for a dark hiding place in the midwest.

Short Stack · Jul 29, 2012 - 4:05pm

Gold and silver have Intrinsic value. How about Intrinsic Quality.

The Green Manalishi · Jul 29, 2012 - 4:06pm
UK's biggest internet gold dealer Jewellery Quarter Bullion could be put up for sale

The company behind Bullion By Post, the UK’s biggest internet gold and silver dealer, could be up for sale after appointing Grant Thornton to provide strategic sales advice.

Gold and silver bars are pictured at the Austrian Gold and Silver Separating Plant 'Oegussa' in Vienna The business buys bullion from traditional dealers and delivers it to retail investors the next day Photo: Reuters James Quinn

9:39PM BST 28 Jul 2012

Comments4 Comments

Jewellery Quarter Bullion, holding company to the online business, could be sold as its founder attempts to expand internationally and continue to focus on British savers’ demands for buying physical gold and silver bars and coins.

Rob Halliday-Stein, who founded the company with £10,000 in January 2009, is looking at the possibilities of selling to a larger rival or floating on the London Stock Exchange’s junior Aim market. Mr Halliday-Stein, 34, who worked for Asda on online development, set up the internet delivery business after he found it difficult to buy physical gold after inheriting money following the death of his mother.

The business, which buys bullion from traditional dealers and delivers it to retail investors the next day, has gone from sales of £6m and a £20,000 pre-tax profit in the first year to generating a pre-tax profit of £1.5m in the year to April 2012, on sales of £55m.

· Jul 29, 2012 - 4:07pm

Bill Murphy sez:

"...this is about my commentary on Friday. To get right to the point, three quality sources told me three weeks ago that the gold and silver markets were going to take off in August and I have been pounding the table on such ever since. The action in the Gold Cartel suppressed precious metals markets the past few days suggests that surge has already started.

As part of this surge, it has come to my attention that the nefarious activities of JP Morgan’s manipulative short position in the silver market is going to come to light in August, especially since they still have a big problem with that position … " https://www.zerohedge.com/contributed/2012-07-29/gata-shaka-zulu-and-coming-goldsilver-storm Looks like word is getting out about what I assume is Turd's "White Swan" for PM's he has been quietly hinting at as 'explosive and historic' for some time now. Man, this could get fun quickly. .

11/15 8:30 ET Empire State Fed