Is there any institution left that is honest and forthright? More importantly, how can any system survive and prosper when its foundation is built upon dishonesty and lawlessness?
A post like this one could take days to write. If I were to give you a detailed list of the lies, fabrications and lawlessness that now permeates our everyday life, the project would require more than 10,000 words and days of effort. Frankly, I don't have that kind of time...though I do hope to finally get started writing my book this summer.
So, let's just summarize a few of the primary items:
- At the top of the list are the chief executives of The United States, each of whom swore an oath to uphold the Constitution. How far back would you like me to go with this one? BillyJeff and "everyone lies about sex"? How about Reagan and "Iran-Contra"? Maybe LBJ and "The Gulf of Tonkin"?
- Then there are the various government agencies who distort (BLS), threaten (IRS), selectively prosecute (DoJ) and criminally co-conspire (CFTC and SEC).
- Of course there's the media. Whether they are actively campaigning for a political cause (CNN, Fox, etc) or simply promoting the case of MOPE and SPIN (CNBS, Bloomberg), the American and "western" press has now been utterly co-opted by the political and financial elites.
And this is where the whole thing starts to get really ugly because there is nothing and no one you can trust anymore.
- Sports figures cheat and then lie to cover it up and avoid responsibility (Tiger Woods, Ryan Braun, etc).
- Civil wars erupt while lies and propaganda flow so thickly that the truth is buried in an avalanche of conflicting stories, accounts and tweets (Russia and Ukraine).
- Financial accounting standards are "massaged" so that banks can carry at par securities that are utterly worthless, thereby creating the illusion of solvency and strength.
Which brings us to some of the current scandals plaguing the Woody Administration, the latest of which is growing by the day. It seems that a certain American POW has been recovered. This would normally bring cheers of rejoicing and great happiness. Not these days and not for this particular POW. If you're unfamiliar with the case, here are some links to bring you up to speed:
So, as far as I can tell, this guy deserted. He walked off of his base and joined the other side. To recover him, Woody struck a secret deal with The Taliban and, in order to secure Bergdahl's release, shipped back 5 pretty dangerous dudes from Gitmo. This would be bad enough if Woody hadn't clearly broken the law in the process. Don't believe me, read here:
So, in the end, why should any of this be surprising? Everyone lies and no one cares.
- Woody can break the law with impunity, whether it's the POW case or amending Obamacare
- Congress lies and SPINs while they line their individual pockets with Treasury largesse
- The media lie when they routinely report only their preferred side of the story
- Government agencies lie about economic statistics and criminal activities
- Government "regulatory" agencies lie as the TBTF banks escape justice while professional golfers are investigated for "insider trading"
- The TBTF banks lie by distorting their balance sheets and quarterly reports. They also lie by underreporting trading losses, manipulating their clients and manipulating prices to their benefit
AND THIS ALL MATTERS. Why? Because systems based upon lies and falsehoods are not sustainable. Period. We spend a lot of time here discussing the certainty of the end of The Great Keynesian Experiment. We should also be discussing the virtual certainty of the end of The Great American Experiment. A system that was built upon a foundation of truth, honesty, liberty and personal responsibility has been compromised by a generation of lies, dishonesty, oppression and lawlessness.
It was Jesus Christ who first assured us that "you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free". It's a good thing that He was talking about an otherworldly truth and the redemptive qualities of such for, here on earth, truth has been banished and the resulting chaos is making slaves of us all.