What now, boss? A New Normal?

Tue, Jul 28, 2020 - 9:00am
Image: Doctor J--member of TFMetals report.com

As I was walking our doggie last evening, I passed by the neighbor’s place. They have a wrought iron gate and an Australian shepherd that loves to run out and say hello each day. I waited by the gate and while the dogs were chatting, the owner waved at me and started to walk out to the road. We stood there and chatted for a half hour about Grand Canyon gold, historical cover-ups and the metals markets. Its nice to know that we have like-minded neighbors—30 years younger, I should add.

I just watched the video posted by tedc on the Friday thread. Nothing in there surprised me. Nice to have a date of 2025 when it all goes down though. And all y’all knew what was coming—increased control of our lives, all transactions via and an artificially intelligent internet that reads our biometrics. And no economic activity if you don’t sign up. Reminds me of some conspiracy theory in the Bible

But I choked on a Vienna sausage upon seeing a scene in that video where the filmmaker showed multiple clips of news anchors and politicians saying “New Normal.” Sounds to me like that phrase is a quite rhetorical! … and through repetition we are being prepared to never go back to life as it was. Methinks the deep state is at work here—masters of propaganda and persuasion.

What kind of “New Normal” do we want?

Well if that new activist group “Antiglo” fails in its effort to expose the globalists and try them for crimes against humanity, and start riots and stuff, we may indeed be stuck in this new normal. And if we are, I’d like to have some say in the kind of new normal we are forced to live in.

But the “pandemic” this year has thrown a plethora of monkey wrenches into our plans. Last fall I moved from a college town to a small rural/retirement community after wifey’s mother, age 86 (mom, not wifey), broke her leg. We sold our home and moved into her spacious mansion—temporarily--to nurse her back to health. But this is not a good property for self-sufficiency, and it is not ours--but that is a story for another day. Then the pandemic was loosed. So, wifey and I are discussing the kind of home we would prefer. Given the problems I see in my own locale, finding a property a bit more remote might be a good option. And with metals at today’s prices, we have the wherewithal to do just that. I suppose the $100,000 question, literally, is centered around whether prices make all time highs, go even higher, or get smashed back down by a new shorting scheme.

In the meantime, bull markets are altogether exciting, but kind of boring in a way. Metals up again! What’s my portfolio worth today? Do I sell yet? The smashdowns, banker shenanigans, margin hikes and such keep our anger focused. But lately there just hasn’t been mas much to think about. I check price in the AM, go across town to work on our rental property, check price on my phone a few times a day, and then again in the evening as I listen to the podcast. Not much to see but good news. Even the pullbacks don’t trouble me now.gold and silver have fattened our assets nicely. What does one do with windfall profits from the rise in metal prices? Do we sit around on our stack, joyfully fondling it like Scrooge McDuck. Or will the time come when it’s best to invest your windfall—a means to an end. Do we purchase a bug-out property? (Hey, I found a nice one for anyone pining for the mountains of Colorado click here)

The Exit Plan

All good traders have an exit plan—a price point where they begin liquidating and a plan of where to invest the profits next. Gotta think ahead, ya know! So what is your exit plan?

• Will you stay on the bull until the government outlaws gold and forces you to sell at, let’s say, last year’s price of 1400?
  • Will paying for goods & services with junk silver be outlawed, punishable by a fine and confiscation as we are herded into digital currencies and negative interest rates?
  • Last time metals were this high, I had no plan and sat on my hands as they tumbled in price, watching my gains evaporate. Ten years later as I near retirement age, I don't intend to let that happen.

My first thought about an exit plan is to stay on this ride until a “correction” is immanent, then perhaps hedge the portfolio with puts and see what happens. If a correction starts, I can also lighten the portfolio by 30-50%. I don’t want to completely liquidate the stack. If the correction continues, or some other monkey business is clearly going on, I’ll exit with what profits I have and switch trading strategies from buy and hold to catching the waves.

My hope is that real estate foreclosures will be sneaking into the housing market soon, pushing prices down across the board, and we can purchase a new home, with some land, at a discount. But that is not happening just yet.

For now, we’re holding the metal. I suspect this bull is just getting started.

We should all take such questions seriously, knowing the nature and character of the globalists. Our prosperity and independence is anathema to their plots. And the best answer I can see is to move from metals after a nice gain and purchase property—the kind that one can live on and one that can make a living for you.

At one time owning a large lot in the city, and putting in the “square foot gardening” method, front yard and back, would work for most of us. But in a big city, now? Especially being a member of the wrong race. All lives apparently do not matter to our millennial youth who are already showing their willingness to be persuaded to riot and murder. No, I want to be as far from cities as we can get--at least far enough that looters cannot make a day-trip to the rural farm. I want like-minded neighbors who value community. None of us have all the skills needed for self-survival AND a comfortable life.

Our fine virtual community here has not only kept us abreast of significant news pertaining to metals, but also has been a place where we share knowledge, ideas, and advice to make this transition into the “new normal.”I hope that tradition can continue. Seems that we have spent most of our time discussing markets and investing lately. I am hoping that both our new and old members can help us think more deeply about the future.

So here are five questions (An essay exam for those who miss college) for all of us to ponder.

1. We are a bit too close to a large city—too close for comfort. But how much distance is enough?
  2. Most neighbors are retirees, not preppers or investors who have a clue about what is going on? Can we trust them?
  3. Millennials, not always the trustworthy types, are moving into their grandparent’s homes and getting service jobs. Will they become Deep globalist informants?
  4. Water is a precious commodity here. The valley’s river-fed irrigation system is mired in a lawsuit with the state that wants the river water for the ever-expanding Phoenix area. The groundwater has high levels of arsenic. We only receive 14” of rain per year. Should I set up a permanent residence in this locale where good gardening water might be stripped away for the city?
  5. The old landed farmers are all passing away. Their farms by the river are being subdivided for retirement housing. Will this town be able to feed itself?

I’ll stop with five questions. I could get depressed if I keep adding them up. But the biggest questions, with a hundred right answers, may be, “What do we all do with our profits? and “When & how do we begin harvesting them?” I am all ears to learn how to reap these profits without missing out on bigger ones.

For that I had no plan in 2011. Not this time.

About the author: Since we have many new members, I thought I better say a word or two for those who don’t know me. Been a member since the early days-- a below average trader-- a construction background and then waded into the university system in a mid-life career change. Finally earned a PhD in Rhetoric (art of persuasion) and have been teaching college for the past 25 years. Fraid I can’t wear a MAGA hat at work. They’d kick me out the door in a minute. I have learned that I ain’t no smarter than most of you, but I do seem to have a knack for observin' & ‘splainin’ things.

Refresh
Warren
Jul 29, 2020 - 5:49am

Some Answers

Forgive me the length of this reply - I'll try to provide short answers for each question. These just represent my current thinking.

Most of societal chaos will be caused by hapless humans, and their range is poor. Many can't drive, don't own cars, have little money, and haven't the mental or physical toughness to manage more than a few miles. Most will get bogged down fast. Fifty miles from the furthest extension of any big town or city transport network should do it.

Almost all humans that come to your door during a societal collapse will be angrily begging - you have to alter their mental state to that of empowered barterer. I intend to use a phrase like "Yes things are bad - we have some needs too. Maybe we can trade?" Discuss with them their goods and services. Have they got tools, or clothes, or would they help you fix your roof? Charity keeps people helpless, and helplessness breeds anger in the prideful.

Yes, most Millennials will become informants. Especially once the government starts running adverts saying"Is your neighbor a hoarder? They may be mentally ill or even a danger to you - call us to get them the help they need?"

Drinking water is pretty much the only resource you MUST have ready access to. Get yourself lots of water purification tablets at the very least.

Most people will run out of food in a week. Societal chaos would start after a fortnight. Government would then have a solid excuse for martial law. Think about how many people you would need to accommodate in your home to offer formidable resistance to trespassers, and then have food for that many people for 90 days. Don't imagine you can cope alone - even just mounting a 24/7 watch takes at least four people.

Finally, when do we get out of metal before they ban it, and what do we do with the fiat? Personally (unless a ban seems imminent) I intend to get out when gold buys half the DOW, or when 500 ounces of silver equals three times the average salary. I will use that capital to buy things that would generate an income, that requires only cost-free resource input. My personal choice would be Bluetti AC50 lithium-ion generators (see the reviews on YouTube) and solar panels, so I can charge to charge.

climbthathill
Jul 28, 2020 - 11:42pm

Dr J - Move on

Reading through the pros and cons of your current location, I was struck by the water issues.

This is the most basic necessity. Given the valley's vulnerability to loss of water, it would be fairly simple for someone to establish control through a water empire.

Find somewhere else. You are not living in a safe haven.

Jul 28, 2020 - 11:06pm

@Libero

Why did you feel the need to post about the hearing with Barr, and make your personal comment on this thread, which has nothing to do with the topic presented?

Maybe it would be better if you could stick to the topic, and take your political opinions and comments to the forums?

Just sayin . . .

TheFoollakedweller2
Jul 28, 2020 - 9:08pm

Totally agree

I've seen republicans use the same tactics before and it's disgusting.

TheFoolAgstAger
Jul 28, 2020 - 9:03pm

This has nothing to do with...

This has nothing to do with ideology or team politics. Anyone who watches that whole hearing and comes away with any perspective other than "Wow, the Dems are ridiculous," is either deeply partisan and can't see what's really going on because their head is so far up their ass, or they are just naive and brainwashed, or all of the above. No offense to Libero, but I think he is just a troll. He's definitely entitled to his opinions on politics, I just don't agree with them at all.

Libero
Jul 28, 2020 - 8:42pm

Sheeezz, I write my briefest comment ever

I even forget the details... Barr being crucified at the hearing and deserving of such. Wow! how controversial for such sensitive ears.

PS- trump is going to lose.

TheFoolLibero
Jul 28, 2020 - 8:13pm

Hahaha... get out of here with that nonsense!

Wrong. The Dems only asked him Yes/No questions, wouldn't permit him to answer questions with any depth or context, and ran the clock out on their alotted time by pushing ridiculous accusations and narratives. On top of that, they were rude and disgraceful in their actions. That is far from being 'mercilessly crucified.' The Dems are panicking! That is all this is.

mrcic
Jul 28, 2020 - 7:11pm

Catherine A Fitts

When a subscriber asked wheather to invest in realestate or PMs, her advice was that it wouldn't matter because you won't have any assets if you don't have an army to protect them. Surround yourself with trustworthy people no matter where you are. Who is your army? I believe she was also saying we will need to be United in order to advocate as a group against those who plan to take from everyone what doesn't belong to them.

Visit the FAQ page to learn how to track your last read comment, add images, embed videos, tweets, and animated gifs, and more.

linz47Libero
Jul 28, 2020 - 6:28pm

Barr

You only futilely wish

SouthsiderLibero
Jul 28, 2020 - 6:14pm

I sincerely doubt that Libero has any legal expertise whatsoever

as shown by his weak-ass partisan characterization of Barr's attempt to respond to Democratic badgering.

"This is a hearing, I thought I was the one who was supposed to be heard?" — Attorney General Bill Barr

I thought this site was for precious metals discussion not for airing this sort of politically motivated tripe.

Subscribe or login to read all comments.

Private iTunes feed for all TF Metals Report podcasts, and access to Vault member forum discussions!

8/3 9:45 ET Markit Manu PMI July