Your gonna hate me for saying this but..

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
CrashTheComex
CrashTheComex's picture
Hat Tips: 132
Your gonna hate me for saying this but..

Looking at the volume of posts and users to the forum instantly, and the potential for growth. I have to say (sorry) that its a mistake not to be going with a full feature rich piece of forum software. 

IPB or vBullitin are the top tier.. But even PHPBB or SMF etc are more feature rich. 

The looks and feels like a joomla ?? and thats works fine for small sites but just lacks that polish and scaleability of the big names. Stuff like thread subscriptions, complex boolean searches, etc etc etc (its a long list) are all ready built. 

I know that wont be welcome, and suspect it wont be heeded after all the hard work in setting up this site, but having done a few user communities on different platforms, and seeing the size that this one is even at launch, thats my 0.002 Au grammes. 

The man who sto...
The man who stole a leopard's picture
Hat Tips: 1208
Drupal

From the source, this site appears to be running Drupal, just like Zero Hedge.

I think Drupal has a fairly large user base, so themes and add-ons are easier to come by.  It's written in PHP (same language used by Facebook, Twitter and like 90%+ rest of the web) so finding a guy to do performance tuning or enhance should be easy and cheap.

Like all new things, the rough edges get smoothened over time.

CrashTheComex
CrashTheComex's picture

Ahh yeah Drupal.. I had a guy try to do me a user community in drupal once.. 

Its more the kind of workload required to get a really large community on a new system rather than using a pre built system and embedding it. 

Anyway, I was fully aware that it wouldnt be a popular comment.. No one wants to think the work done isnt going the right way. But I have a feeling this is going to be a large and active community and as such the forum needs to be tip top. 

uptofreedom
uptofreedom's picture
Hat Tips: 561
I'd have to agree with

I'd have to agree with Crash.  This site could definitely benefit from a more full-featured, dedicated forum.  Search capabilities most notably in need improvement, imo...

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
No, I'm not going to hate

No, I'm not going to hate you, I'm just going to politely disagree.  ;-)

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596
I run a 68,000 member forum

I run a 68,000 member forum on vBulletin, and I have to say you really can't beat it in terms of functionality. However, I think that the Drupal based discussion has handled the server loads and MySQL injections incredibly well. Hat tip to whoever is handling your servers for you, Turd. Big ups

Compare Silver Prices

uptofreedom
uptofreedom's picture
Hat Tips: 561
This forum runs and looks

This forum runs and looks great, I'll give it that.  But imo it's too dumbed down.  Simple's nice for the non-techie audience, but once a few months worth of posts have built up finding anything will be impossible. 

If granular search capabilities can be added to this forum it might suffice, but imo this community will need a more robust forum solution in the long run...

admin
admin's picture
I completely agree with you

uptofreedom wrote:

This forum runs and looks great, I'll give it that.  But imo it's too dumbed down.  Simple's nice for the non-techie audience, but once a few months worth of posts have built up finding anything will be impossible. 

If granular search capabilities can be added to this forum it might suffice, but imo this community will need a more robust forum solution in the long run...

I completely agree with you uptofreedom that it's a fairly simple starting point.  However we have to start somewhere.

There are plenty of opportunities to grow the capabilities and functionality, and we have lots of ideas on how we can continue to improve the forum (including granular search capabilities).  However when implementing a v1.0 of any solution there have to be trade-offs, while always knowing there will be room for improvement down the road.

bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596
@Admin, well said.. just

@Admin, well said.. just realize, it will be incredibly difficult to move the forum over to any other environment and still salvage the database. Don't even get me started on the ghost-headaches that continuously presented themselves after I tried to port over an SMF to VB.

Compare Silver Prices

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
I built my own forum once as a university project

I built my own forum once as a university project

I built it out of PHP.  The amount of scripting and error checking that must be performed is extremely labor intensive.  There's just so much to consider.  Forums are the greatest thing to come from dynamic html but they must be respected as well because you're allowing the user write-access to the database on some level.

I hope that admins have taken the time to protect the database against outside forces who might wish to steal contact lists and the such.  Also remember to perform a quick check on any "post" or "get" variables to make sure they are numeric-only.  If alphabet is allowed, some sneaky queries can be run against the backend, assuming the malicious person is able to guess the names of the tables in the database.   If the source code for the message board was utilized from pre-existing code, this error checking described above may already be in place but it never hurts to double check the scripts.

Turd if you're reading this, thanks for taking the time to put this all together for us.  We love you man!  Lets make this place great!

--Mark

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
Forum software

bestever wrote:

@Admin, well said.. just realize, it will be incredibly difficult to move the forum over to any other environment and still salvage the database. Don't even get me started on the ghost-headaches that continuously presented themselves after I tried to port over an SMF to VB.

I wouldn't worry about this - Drupal in the long-term is only going to be more powerful and robust across the platform. 

I agree that the Drupal forums out of the box are fairly "lame" compared to something like vBulletin - however, we've already added and customized enhancements available in the Drupal open source community, and those will only be improving in the future.

And I realize some of you more techie guys may hunger for more complex software - however, you're not reading the tech support requests - not everyone is a high-power user and so we need to find the balance between high-power and "dumbed down." :-)

PS For some reason I was never crazy about vBulletin - it just seemed like it had too many options and almost too cluttered for me personally. I do like PhpBB but it's simply not scalable. And neither offer the robust integration with a full-fledged CMS and framework like Drupal. My 2 cents and my opinions only. :-)

PPS Here are some of the sites using Drupal - some very large sites too! http://drupal.org/cases

crashjp
crashjp's picture
Hat Tips: 26
bigger better

CrashTheComex wrote:

Looking at the volume of posts and users to the forum instantly, and the potential for growth. I have to say (sorry) that its a mistake not to be going with a full feature rich piece of forum software. 

IPB or vBullitin are the top tier.. But even PHPBB or SMF etc are more feature rich. 

The looks and feels like a joomla ?? and thats works fine for small sites but just lacks that polish and scaleability of the big names. Stuff like thread subscriptions, complex boolean searches, etc etc etc (its a long list) are all ready built. 

I know that wont be welcome, and suspect it wont be heeded after all the hard work in setting up this site, but having done a few user communities on different platforms, and seeing the size that this one is even at launch, thats my 0.002 Au grammes. 

Im not gona hate ya either id just like to know why ya didnt speak up when Turd was asking for imput on matters like this, long before the site was built.

In the absence of light, darkness reigns supreme.

CrashTheComex
CrashTheComex's picture

crashjp wrote:

CrashTheComex wrote:

Im not gona hate ya either id just like to know why ya didnt speak up when Turd was asking for imput on matters like this, long before the site was built.

1) I didnt see the request and 

2) I would assume any site that wants to have a large user community forum would be going to one of the few top tier products.. VB, IPB, etc.. Just makes sense as the features are pre done, tested, and secure. 

I didnt realise Turd was planning a larger user community thought he was going for improving the comment handling to comments on his own posts. More troll reduction user tracking was what I thought he was doing. 

admin
admin's picture
I would assume any site

CrashTheComex wrote:

2) I would assume any site that wants to have a large user community forum would be going to one of the few top tier products.. VB, IPB, etc.. Just makes sense as the features are pre done, tested, and secure. 

I have tons of experience with products like vB, phpBB, and Invision, and yeah, I'm going to disagree with your assumption.  And the suggestion of vB or IPB being "top tier products" all depends on perspective and what you're trying to accomplish.  However disagreement is what makes the world go 'round.  :-)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Your gonna hate me for saying this but.. "