Where to store your gold...

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
needadeel
needadeel's picture
Hat Tips: 82
Where to store your gold...

Does anyone have any suggestions for where to store your gold? I use a safe deposit box now, but I'm not convinced that it is the safest place.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:31
plunder
plunder's picture
Hat Tips: 319
Burglary safe!

If you're comfortable storing at home then check with your local locksmiths for a TL-15 or better burglary safe.

With the economy the way it is, I found a good inventory of used commercial safes. A local company recently sold me a commercial TL-15 fire and burglary safe from a bankrupt department store.

They lugged the 1800-lb, 4-inch thick walled monstrosity into my basement and bolted it to the concrete floor under the steps for the reasonable price of an ounce-and-a-half of gold. It's about half as big as an average refrigerator. No danger of filling it up anytime soon and since then I've been sleeping pretty well at night.

I'd stay away from anything that you can get at a box store, they're not really security safes. Once you visit a locksmith and see a few of "the real deal" safes you'll know what I mean.

Dr. Sandi
Dr. Sandi's picture
Hat Tips: 368
I'd avoid a safe deposit box

I'd avoid a safe deposit box like German bean sprouts. Under the PATRIOT act, THEY have the right to confiscate precious metals and valuables stored there during an emergency. Unfortunately, we're already IN an emergency, so I'd be vewwwwy, vewwwy caweful.

Stash PMs where nobody would think to either look for them OR toss their container out. Under the bottom drawer of a dresser perhaps. Or inside a space in the wall, such as a fake electrical outlet. Put it somewhere nobody would even think to look for it. Maybe inside the empty box of a video game that really sucks. Or inside that dead CRT monitor case.

Best bet is to make sure everybody you know who might have access to your house knows that you think owning gold or silver is a really stupid idea!

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Hat Tips: 3999
I went with an in-ground safe

I went with an in-ground safe that was embedded in concrete.  Also, while you are at it beef up your home security as much as possible.  I have iron security doors (they look pretty nice, too) and got some new doors and locks with the ultimate lock - just a system that makes it hard to break down a door by kicking.  Windows on 1st floor are already protected.  2nd floor can be broken so next I plan some anti-theft interior films - makes it hard to bust them and get in.

Ford Rep
Ford Rep's picture
Hat Tips: 20
Everywhere

Spread it around.  I'm not a particularly paranoid person but 2 different safes, a hole in the ground, in my chimney and even 2 safety deposit boxes held my goods before I took them on a cruise with me and the boat sank.

I consider this method to be another form of diversification.

magis00
magis00's picture
Hat Tips: 413
Best Easy-Fix Tip I've Heard Recently -- Long Wood Screws

All of the contact points between your door and your door jamb are potential fail points if someone's trying to kick it down. (edit to add:  the deadbolt and the door latch, both latch plates (or whatever those are called -- into which the deadbolt and latch enter when engaged), and most especially the hinges on the backside that connect the whole gig to the door ... and then the sliding bolt or whatever you may have in addition -- is what I meant to say initially...)

Solution:  2.5in wood screws.  Unscrew the screws currently holding everything in place (easily 50% of mine were less than 0.5in long -- def. not the most secure), and screw in the longest screws you can.   This way, the "contact points" aren't affixed to the decorative trim or the smaller, thinner pieces of wood, but will penetrate to the "heavy stuff". 

This is in lieu of buying steel doors and anti-theft interior films (great idea! Tip o' the Hat to you Vypuero!) ...  cost maybe 3FRNs.

magis00
magis00's picture
Hat Tips: 413
Also - Hello 'Nati! Tip o' the hat for proximity!!

yes

LVStrapped
LVStrapped's picture
Hat Tips: 312
Loose Lips Sink Ships

I don't even consider safety deposit boxes to be an option.  First, most people don't know you got something worth stealing if you don't go around town bragging about it.  Remember "loose lips sink ships".  I would recommend getting a pretty good fire rated safe and trying to hide it in my own house.  I would also get myself a reliable firearm to protect myself in case of forced entry.  Safe+Gun= become your own bank.  Just keep it quite.       

"Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Thanks magisoo - I think

Thanks magisoo - I think those locks do that essentially they create a very long and angled screw - you can look it up on ultimate lock - my honest opinion is its a good idea but over-priced for what you get, but does work as advertised and the quality of the product is good.  Stick with the normal version I used the commercial version on my basement interior door (I have a garage door too) and it worked but it has some issues and really is not the best for a house.

More tips I recommend reading "Surviving in Argentina" blog (and he has a book now) by Ferfal.

Aronnax
Aronnax's picture
Hat Tips: 547
Hiding in plain sight

A few (to me) novel and very creative ways to hide PMs in plain sight. Can't share the source, and hope (s)he forgives me for spreading here:

"For gold, put the gold at the bottom layer of the cat box, a layer of protective plastic sheeting, then the cat sand. If you don't have a cat, borrow some cat droppings from a neighbor that does have a cat. One cat box can hold approx 200-300 coins

For silver, car battery casings (without the lead), the bigger the better (like a diesel truck battery). Once loaded and sealed with super glue, spray with WD40 and sprinkle with dust and scatter the batteries around your garage or yard, like a Sanford & Son look. Hiding in plain sight, easy to pick up and throw in the car when TSHTF. The casings without the lead and acid are not easy to get but look hard and you'll find them."

Zwipped
Zwipped's picture
Hat Tips: 381
freezer

Put your gold bullion in an ice cream box and put that back in the freezer. Nobody is going to check there if they are trying to steel things.

Air Garcia
Air Garcia's picture
Hat Tips: 720
Safe Deposit Storage

So does the gov just come and have the bank open each box to find the PM's or does the gov already know specific people have PM's by checking through all their bank accounts for payments to dealers then go and demand you and the bank open your box (assuming you have one) so they can pimp your stash? 

Not really sure how that whole thing would go down. I don't have any PM's in one, but bank with a small, one-branch bank out in the country and would think it would be relatively safe, though my metals aren't there. . . 

Thanks. 

JG
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine, And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
Would you hear my voice come thru the music, Would you hold it near as it were your own?

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
safe deposit

I do know if you pass away or someone you know does a person from the state does come and inventory what is in there before you can finish probate on the estate.  So at a minimum, it gets hit by the tax man then.

M5
M5's picture
Hat Tips: 3
safe deposit boxes

I believe that when gold was called in in the thirties that you could not access your bank safe deposit box without a federal agent present.

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
I've started a thread listing

I've started a thread listing global non-bank safe depositories in the Preparing Accordingly subforum:

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/safe-depositories/104

Sockeye
Sockeye's picture
Hat Tips: 1234
NEVER use a Fire Safe Fire

NEVER use a Fire Safe

Fire safes are super easy to open.  They are not designed for theft.  They are designed for low cost and for keeping paper a little protected from fire but not from theft.

Theft safes are much more expensive.  Look in Craig's List.  They are cheap used.  You might find a $2000 safe for $200.  Or a $10,000 safe for $400.  The bigger and better they are the cheaper they sell because it is difficult to move big heavy theft safes.   Also businesses tend to get new safes every so often.  So they produce a lot of used safes. 

For example stores that have 1000 locations around the country will replace the safes maybe every 10 years or so. 

I am almost always wrong. But the fun in life is those few times when I am right.

Sockeye
Sockeye's picture
GUN SAFES ......... are no

GUN SAFES .........

are no good.  they are too big and easy to see and they are easy to open.  They also attract theft because the thief wants the guns. 

DO NOT USE A GUN SAFE.

used gun safes sell at higher prices to sportsmen who need one.  They are harder to find used so they sell at high prices on the used market.  But they are no good for storing gold and silver.  They are also fairly easy to open compared to what you want and can get for a much lower cost.  They are very expensive new because they are so big. 

I am almost always wrong. But the fun in life is those few times when I am right.

Sockeye
Sockeye's picture
The PATRIOT ACT specifically

The PATRIOT ACT

specifically gives the government the right to confiscate all gold in all safety deposite boxes right now.  The law is already in place for some time.  They simply have not executed on the law.  But they will. 

Right now the gov has the right to close down all safety deposite boxes and confiscate all gold in them. 

Your taxes at work writing laws to confiscate your wealth.  Well actually older laws say you own nothing.  The government owns all your wealth.  The gov already owns your gold.

jnsn
jnsn's picture
I had a friend that traded

I had a friend that traded gold and silver and he also took the "plain sight" route.  He taped bars or coins together and his wife would crochet a colorful cover-  and voila- a  PM doorstop.

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Spread it around

Ford Rep wrote:

Spread it around.  I'm not a particularly paranoid person but 2 different safes, a hole in the ground, in my chimney and even 2 safety deposit boxes held my goods before I took them on a cruise with me and the boat sank.

I consider this method to be another form of diversification.

That is what I do.  Never keep all your eggs in one basket!  :-)

Safety Deposit Boxes - NEVER!!!

Lonerangersilver
Lonerangersilver's picture
Hat Tips: 296
Think like a thief

Hide it where a thief in a hurry will not waste time looking.

1. Create a vent in the wall (a hole in the wall) in plain sight. Put a vent cover over it.

2. Use the old can of Ajax under the sink. Empty it and put your stuff in it. Make sure it looks used.

3. If you bury your stuff in a plastic PVC container in your backyard, bury it near a faucet. If they use a metal detector they will think it is the pipe it is detecting.

4. This is high tech. Use step 3 but bury it up on a hill somewhere. Use a GPS or iPhone to read the coordinates and write them down in several places. When you are ready to get your stuff just enter the coordinates in the GPS and will take you there. Right on the spot.

Get a gun. If you have never used one go to a firing range and take lessons. Unless you have children don't put a lock on the gun. In a hurry you will not have time to unlock it using a key and worse in the dark.

Lonerangersilver

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Where to store your gold..."