What Is In Your Mind? Mindfulness Training for Dealing With Life

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Hat Tips: 3917
What Is In Your Mind? Mindfulness Training for Dealing With Life

To help us deal with day to day fear and anxiety we can learn to understand our own minds.  Practicing with the day- to -day stress will allow us to stand our ground in times of big stresses (when the fit hits the shan).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness

Enlightenment (bodhi) is a state of being in which delusion (Palimoha) has been overcome, abandoned and is absent from the mind. Mindfulness, which is an attentive awareness of the reality of things (especially of the present moment) is an antidote to delusion and is considered as such a 'power' (Pali: bala). This faculty becomes a power in particular when it is coupled with clear comprehension of whatever is taking place.

The Buddha advocated that one should establish mindfulness (satipatthana) in one's day-to-day life maintaining as much as possible a calm awareness of one's bodily functions, sensations (feelings), objects of consciousness (thoughts and perceptions), and consciousness itself. The practice of mindfulness supports analysis resulting in the arising of wisdom (Pali: paññā, Sanskrit: prajñā).[1] A key innovative teaching of the Buddha was that meditative stabilisation must be combined with liberating discernment.[2]

The Satipatthana Sutta (Sanskrit: Smṛtyupasthāna Sūtra) is one of the foremost early texts dealing with mindfulness.

Mindfulness practice, inherited from the Buddhist tradition, is increasingly being employed in Western psychology to alleviate a variety of mental and physical conditions, including obsessive-compulsive disorderanxiety, and in the prevention of relapse in depression and drug addiction.[3] See alsoMindfulness (psychology).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindfulness_(psychology)

((I have found this training very effective when standing in the face of the emotion and manipulation of others.  Hope it helps you, too.))

Freedom Libertarian Style: http://shipiloff.com/How%20I%20Found%20Freedom%20In%20An%20Unfree%20World%20%20A%20Handbook%20for%20Personal%20Liberty%20-%20Harry%20Browne.htm#18

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:07
lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Warning about Community Circles

It is good to keep in mind that not everyone you meet here in these chats and those who may have similar interests are truely of like mind.   Many of our fellow slaves are looking for advantage, just the way we are, though you and I might be the advantage for them.  There are wolves in sheep's clothing and this is good to keep in mind as we seek to create supportive communities for trying times.  

Special warning to the ladies.  http://cyberpaths.blogspot.com/2006/12/nlp-mind-control-and-seduction.html

Prepare accordingly, no need to fear.

Be blessed.

Cerote
Cerote's picture
Hat Tips: 258
Vipassana training is free

but you have to commit for 10 consecutive days.  The centers do not charge for the training, food, or lodging, and will only accept donations after completion of training if the student feels it has been helpful.  The website is www.dhamma.org where you can find descriptions, schedules, conditions, and applications.  I went through the introductory 10-day course a couple of years ago, and believe it to be one of the most valuable experiences of my life.  There is no religious proselytization of any kind, and it is compatible with all faiths or no faith, just profoundly practical technique.  Words can't do it justice, you have to experience it to understand.  Centers worldwide.

Bull
Bull's picture
Hat Tips: 171
Meditation

We find a daily meditation practice extremely helpful. Life is simpler and full of beauty despite the increasing revelations as to just how messed up the modern world is.

A focus on breath and no thought is quite strengthening and at times difficult as the mind has many other priorities besides silence. Martial arts teaches much the same.

The Buddhist teachings offer wonderful alternatives to the chaos of daily worry and hurry.

Meditation need not be Buddhist based and indeed I find some of my wife's Buddhist practice distracting and superstitious. I meditate everyday for focus, relaxation and peace. Recommend it.

Bull

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Practice free of charge

You can learn to do this on your own, no need to spend money at a religious institution.  

Books or audio books can be aquired from your local library.  If they are not on hand, ask for an interlibrary loan.  I have found books by Pema Chodron very helpful.  

'Don't Bite the Hook'

'Places That Scare You'

'When Things Fall Apart'

'No Time To Lose'

I put the audio books on my IPOD and just go about my day listening while I work.

Also,  Anthony DeMello has been a guru with great teaching. Available for free on YouTube or MP3 available here for free:  awareness.tk/

Be blessed.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Non-Religious Practice

Agreeing with your statements, Bull.   Making the practices non-religious is just or more effective than buying into a belief system.  I also find this kind of practice lends more freedom to my mind.  

Glad to hear of the peace you have.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
Bah, I just listen to some

Bah, I just listen to some Alan Watts...better yet Osho. Whips me right back into shape. wink

Very salient topic, though. Try to tell someone gold is money and they need to own it as the ultimate protection against banking terrorism, fraud, etc and you'll run right into a deeply rooted memetic programming. Money, as the world has come to know it, is simply a mind virus for which the host is implicit in it's replication yet knows nothing of it's infection. If you haven't studied memetics, the bible is Dawkin's "The Selfish Gene." 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Sick Society

"The main preoccupation of society is to keep society sick." ~Anthony DeMello

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
'No Death, No Fear'

Interesting concept in this book that I am reading, "No Death, No Fear", by Thich Nhat Hanh that has me thinking.  Thought I'd post it to this thread as it has massive implications to one's paradigm if it is held to be true.  "...when conditions are sufficient something manifests and we say it exists. When one or two conditions fail and the thing does not manifest in the same way, then we say that it does not exist." 

To illustrate his point he speaks of the cloud.  "Before being born it was the water on the ocean's surface.  Or it was in the river and then it became vapor. The wind was there too, helping the water to become a cloud.  The cloud does not come from nothing; there has been only a change in form. It is not birth of something out of nothing.  Sooner or later the cloud will change into rain or snow or ice.  If you look deeply into the rain, you can see the cloud.  The cloud is not lost; it is transformed into rain, and the rain is transformed into grass and the grass into cows and then to milk..." 

Often we look at life's happenings as isolated events. Yet, we can often see that certain conditions arise to allow an event, skill, feeling or person to manifest at a given time.  Though much of the raw material for a certain manifestation may already be present in us or our surroundings.  Only if and when all the conditions are right does it manifest and come into existence. 

...as we observe, let us also see the interconnectedness in life.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "What Is In Your Mind? Mindfulness Training for Dealing With Life"