What safe do you guys have at home?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Rb
Rb's picture
Hat Tips: 1
What safe do you guys have at home?

Just curious...

What kind of safes do y'all use to stack guns, gold, etc. in?

I was partial to Cannon, but I had one of their entry-level home safes break into 3 pieces during shipping (EPIC FAIL). SentrySafe's from Home Depot are surprisingly decent, but still not the best (bang for your buck).

Thoughts?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
treefrog
treefrog's picture
Hat Tips: 10390
do you actually expect anybody to answer a question like that?

get real

treefrog land and cattle co.

Hagarth
Hagarth's picture
Hat Tips: 2182
Well said eom

Suntne vacci laeti.

Rb
Rb's picture
Hat Tips: 1
Honest question! I don't see

Honest question!

I don't see what the big deal is??

Nevermind, I suppose... sheesh

Indentured_Servant
Indentured_Servant's picture
Hat Tips: 240
I use a dummy safe.

First, buy a garden variety safe or lock box from Goodwill/St. Vincent DePaul etc and load it up with some lead bars painted silver, phony papers and a "cute" box loaded with costume jewelry. Store the safe someplace obvious to most thieves/burglars. Don't even lock it!

Second, get creative with hiding your real physical. Take advantage of dead space throughout your home. Install fake air return vents, outlets, circuit breaker boxes etc. Drill out wooden table legs. hollow out solid doors. Install a new mailbox (and post), fill a short length of ABS pipe capped on both ends with physical and bury under the concrete used to set the post. Dig a hole in your crawl space and bury it. Buy some old radiator hoses, fill with rounds and hang on the wall in your garage. Hide it in plan sight. Saw cut a hole in your garage floor under the spot where your car engine normally is. Bury some physical in there and place an oil drip pan over it with some used motor oil on it. There is virtually no limit on hiding places. Put some in an old dust covered pressure cooker stored on a garage or laundry room shelf. Get an old bathroom scale, remove the guts and put a couple hundred ounces in there. Put a 100 oz bar in the bottom of your bathroom trash can. Use bag liners for the actual garbage. Bury some in your neighbors yard! Put up some birdhouses with PM filled false bottoms. Get some small pelican cases, stuff them with PM's and put them in the bottom of rain barrels under your down spouts. Be smart about it & don't forget to make a list of hiding places so that you don't forget where it is.

Let the thieves haul away your decoy safe. Make them work hard to find/recover the real stuff. Thieves hate hard work so they become thieves. My local PM dealer drove to a major city to purchase $10,000 face value of junk silver dimes. The guy had them stored in two bright orange five gallon buckets with "Furnace Cleaner" stenciled on each one. The buckets were stored on the side of his garage opposite the house partially hidden under stack of cordwood. Both were plainly visible from the street and the owner clamed they had been there since 1985. I even have a stash geo-cached in a National Forest about six hours from home and another stash buried on public land where everybody and their uncle goes to shoot guns for fun.

A big safe attracts attention and if discovered could cause the thief to force you to open it under threat to yourself and family. Having your stash hidden in many locations effectively limits your losses if discovered.

I_S

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
check this thread

Rb wrote:

Just curious...

What kind of safes do y'all use to stack guns, gold, etc. in?

I was partial to Cannon, but I had one of their entry-level home safes break into 3 pieces during shipping (EPIC FAIL). SentrySafe's from Home Depot are surprisingly decent, but still not the best (bang for your buck).

Thoughts?

Check this thread: http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/storing-metals-home/161

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
decoy...

Indentured_Servant wrote:

Let the thieves haul away your decoy safe.

Put a bottle of  booze and a pack or two of smokes next to it too.  My theory is they will celebrate during the getaway, then do/say something drunkingly stupid and get caught.

SilverFocker
SilverFocker's picture
Hat Tips: 2577
Good safe

Just check out liberty Safes..........I watched 7 local firefighters break into one, it took 45 minutes with everything they had to do it......and the warranty is top of the line.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "What safe do you guys have at home?"