What has been your single most useful purchase in prepping??

61 posts / 0 new
Last post
Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
Hat Tips: 238
What has been your single most useful purchase in prepping??

HI NEW FRIENDS,

What has been the most useful/helpful purchase that you've made in prepping? 

I recently bought a dehydrator that I am hoping to make good use of this summer!

: D

Prep On!

Lainey

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:07
Nigel Black
Nigel Black's picture
Hat Tips: 2101
The Berkey water filter is by

The Berkey water filter is by far the most useful thing I have acquired so far in my preparations.  You can only live (at most) 3 days without water...

It is so easy to set up and use.  IMHO, getting one (if you don't have water purification already) is a no brainer...

Bill Brasky
Bill Brasky's picture
Hat Tips: 62
GUNS

My guns. I love when OIG knocks on my door the first thing they ask is if I am armed because they know I have class A. Now I just climb out onto my farmers porch roof and make them talk to me from my front yard.

Adventures
Adventures's picture
Hat Tips: 611
Pressure Canner

I can save food, bake bread in 15 minutes, Dried beans in an a hour, save freezer burnt meat and I just found some plans that turn the canner into a distiller.

MelloYello
MelloYello's picture
Hat Tips: 37
Like Mr. Black, I would have

Like Mr. Black, I would have to give props to my Berkey. Critical prep item, but it's also seeing plenty of immediate use. Great way to clean up public water supply, especially if you throw on the flouride filters.

Second place goes to the dehydrator, for the same reasons - helpful for both future and immediate needs. Everyone around me suddenly wants home-made beef jerky yesterday. And I've turned my kids into dried pear junkies. They don't even ask for __________ (insert crap packaged food) anymore.

Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
Hat Tips: 3349
My JetBoil stove.  Not

My JetBoil stove.  Not exactly a stove, but it will boil a liter of water in about 2 minutes, light weight, packs tight and uses little fuel.  Maybe not practical for a family, but I like to hike and camp alone and have used mine a lot and love it.  I know it, my case of fuel, stored water and 3 months of food will serve me well anywhere, anytime.  Love it like my Hennessey camping hammock, but that's another conversation.

Jetboil has become increasingly popular over the past few years and they have a whole line of products.  I've only used the original pictured below but I'm sure their other systems are of equal quality and performance.

Got fire? surprise

http://www.jetboil.com/

Matt Foley
Matt Foley's picture
Hat Tips: 269
I love this thing! 12Ga.  

I love this thing!

12Ga.

I live in a van down by the river!

Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
using a pressure canner as a distiller?

ooh, ooh, ooh!

Can you share that info!?!?

Lainey

I just spent my birthday money on a pressure cooker!

Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
pardon my ignorance.... OIG??

Help me out, Bill!

What's OIG!?!?!? (Class A??)

Sorry. It's a learning curve thing!!!!! work with me!

Lainey

Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
dried pears!

YUM!!

Lainey

Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
re: jetboil!

alrighty!

That's a new one! Sounds useful!

Thanks for sharing!

Lainey

Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
re: Berkey

yep!

I'm with ya!

Lainey

Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
re: 12 ga

ooooohhhhh!

sleek & shiny.

G*ns is our next investment. May I ask where you found that baby and what it cost?

Lainey

Nigel Black
Nigel Black's picture
Hat Tips: 2101
Food Dehydrator

MelloYello wrote:

...  Second place goes to the dehydrator, for the same reasons - helpful for both future and immediate needs. Everyone around me suddenly wants home-made beef jerky yesterday. And I've turned my kids into dried pear junkies. They don't even ask for __________ (insert crap packaged food) anymore.

+1

After getting a Berkey water filter, I also purchased an Excalibur 3900 Food Dehydrator.  We use it all of the time and it is amazing how little space dehydrated food takes.  Like MelloYello, we make all of our own snacks (jerky, dried fruits) and it is comforting to know we have a nice stash of food for when the SHTF.

Bill Brasky
Bill Brasky's picture
Hat Tips: 62
oig

Laineyisat wrote:

Help me out, Bill!

What's OIG!?!?!? (Class A??)

Sorry. It's a learning curve thing!!!!! work with me!

Lainey

OIG = office of inspector general

Class A = carry conceal permit

mrslippery
mrslippery's picture
Hat Tips: 7
Food, water, batteries, TP

Just the basics.  Extra canned food, MREs, water, and toilet paper.  At the end of each year, we donate the canned food and buy replacements.  Win win.

UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
People ALWAYS forget

People ALWAYS forget shoe-laces. Good luck trying to walk miles in boots with no laces.. 

Teach
Teach's picture
Hat Tips: 2801
Best Prep

When I started I bought two very large rubber totes and filled them with about 150 pounds of canned and dried goods.  Along with a few 25 pound sacks of rice, that is probably my most important step in being prepared.

Agophillic
Agophillic's picture
Hat Tips: 38
Food

I have started a pretty substantial food storage plan in the basement.  Also have a Berkey.  But I think my Survival Seed & Herb bank are the best.  I have enough seeds to plant a 1 acre crisis garden and also have enough herbs to make all my own medicines and tinctures.

I tried uploading a picture...how in the hell do I do that?!

-Agophillic

The silver bullet represents our ability to take down the fiat standard from the private central banks by buying silver.

Eternal Student
Eternal Student's picture
Hat Tips: 2162
Berkey and Food Grinder

Food and Water come first. The Big Berkey is superb. Note that they don't ship to California and a couple of other states, because those States don't allow water filters which haven't passed the States' tests. Which is BS. But yes, you can still get a Big Berkey. Just go to one of the dealers over the Internet. I had no problem. They are happy to take your money in these times.

My backup plan, if that didn't work, was to ship it to a relative who was out of State, and have them send it down. Fortunately I didn't need to do that.

Then, a wheat grinder. It's easy to store wheat (NOT FLOUR) for a very long time if it's done right.

Next comes cooking, but things are more flexible there. Worst case, just use your BBQ.

And batteries, flashlights, glowsticks. That's a good start.

Robert Iglehart
Robert Iglehart's picture
Hat Tips: 7
#1 prep item

a farm in a small rural community.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "What has been your single most useful purchase in prepping??"