Waste Vegetable Oil - powers my Diesel Mercedes

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
mespe
mespe's picture
Hat Tips: 643
Waste Vegetable Oil - powers my Diesel Mercedes

Ok, so I'm not talking crude, Older Mercedes run great on filtered waste vegetable oil - the stuff restaurants pay to get rid of. The stuff churches consume during fish fry's. Also known as Yellow Grease, is used in dog food and cosmetics. When the dollar crashes, it's use as an alternative fuel will become more widespread in the US.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:18
tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3056
Diesel Proponent Here

Love my 2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen.  However, it doesn't like bio over 5% and certainly won't run on Vegetable Oil.

But, dang near 50 MPG highway is irreplaceable. 

Biodiesel is a great addition to the solution matrix.  Grown from non-food crops it's missing a lot of the issues of Ethanol.  If only we had a gov't worth a crap they'd support it. 

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

Boardwalk
Boardwalk's picture
Hat Tips: 2613
waste oil - Mercedes

mespe wrote:

Ok, so I'm not talking crude, Older Mercedes run great on filtered waste vegetable oil - the stuff restaurants pay to get rid of. The stuff churches consume during fish fry's. Also known as Yellow Grease, is used in dog food and cosmetics. When the dollar crashes, it's use as an alternative fuel will become more widespread in the US.

What are you doing to filter solids and water out of it?  Are you measuring acid number?  What is the average cid number of the fryer grease you collect?  How many hours do you have on the engine using waste oil?

"Be right and sit tight"

Sockeye
Sockeye's picture
Hat Tips: 1234
is the jetta a hybrid or does

is the jetta a hybrid or does it get a full up 50 mpg on gas.  that would be awesome.

I thought all over 35 require hybrids.

I am almost always wrong. But the fun in life is those few times when I am right.

CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
The Jetta TDI is a turbo,

The Jetta TDI is a turbo, direct-injection diesel.  It is not a hybrid.  You can run them with biodiesel without any modifications, but you better have a new fuel filter handy because it will get clogged when you switch to biodiesel.

mespe
mespe's picture
Hat Tips: 643
What I'm doing with WVO

Boardwalk Millionaire wrote:

What are you doing to filter solids and water out of it?  Are you measuring acid number?  What is the average cid number of the fryer grease you collect?  How many hours do you have on the engine using waste oil?

I have a 300 gallon tote and a 10 micron sock filter. I insist that any oil I take from the restaurant/church/bar has no water in it. Not measuring anything. Don't know the actual hours on the latest benz, but I drove it all of last summer on WVO, after the car was parked for roughly 3 years with WVO in the tank, 11,000 miles total. 

Actually I had a problem with solids in this car and built a huge prefilter out of 4 inch pvc, some end caps and 30 micron mesh. I didn't have the sock filter setup 3 years ago when I drove it, now I'm forced to keep half a tank of oil in it so the in tank screen doesn't get clogged from the french fries floating on the fuel.

Other than the huge pre-filter, there are no modifications to the car/engine. I only drive it on wvo when ambient is above 45, usually plug it in overnight when the temps are in the 40's and 50's. Rather hard to start in the morning, but it might be due to the valves needing adjustment. The OM617 is a great engine to burn WVO in. I just got a 1987 300SDL with the OM603, so I'll see how that engine works with WVO, but I've heard that because it's indirect injection the newer engine are more prone to getting the rings stuck from wvo that sprays on the cylinder walls, due to not being atomized like diesel.

donpaulo
donpaulo's picture
Hat Tips: 3413
you can run your VW on veggie

you can run your VW on veggie oils. My friend is doing it daily. Here is a vid he posted

http:// vimeo.com/ 4684817

Kumanari
Kumanari's picture
Hat Tips: 1465
wvo CAUTION

I have been running my 85 300d on wvo/svo for a few years.

A word of caution. You must use ONLY 100 veg oil NOT hydrolyzed (unhydrogenated)!

Otherwise you will destroy your engine. You can run it for quite some time on the hydrolized but you will have varnish in your cylinders and destroy the best engine ever made. wvo is best used in 79-85 benzes they are bullet proof. It is best to let oil sit for at least a week so water and particles settle, ALL  used oil has h2o in it, never use bottom 2-6 inches of oil in barrel as it has h2o  & particles. You can buy a conversion kit for about $400 for mbz, includes booster pump,fuel line heaters,fuel filter/dewaterer. You may also want tank heater for colder climes. You want these items as running w/o will decrease life expectancy. Mbz  are best for single tank systems, other diesels may require two tank systems. You must also know dif between bio-wvo-svo

THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING dyodd.

I only use veg oil from my friend who makes chips.  Flour, water, batter and such degrades the oil, plus restaurants let their oil go waaaay to far before changing, I know that's I'm in the business.  good luck

Kumanari
Kumanari's picture
Hat Tips: 1465
It' the brain

newer vehicles won't run unless the brain is replaced/reprogramed air fuel mixture issues once dealt with any diesel should be able to run on bio/wvo/svo. Rudolph Diesel designed his engines to run on hemp oil as that was the oil at the time.

Boardwalk
Boardwalk's picture
Hat Tips: 2613
@Kumanari and mespe

The longer fryer oil has been subjected to heat and moisture (from the frozen fries), the more acidic it becomes.  You can measure this acidity via two part titration KOH and NaOH to get a Total Acid Number (TAN).  If the TAN gets too high the acidity of the WVO will cause pitting and oxidation of the components of the fuel system and also potentially within the engine itself.

A much preferred source of fuel is virgin SVO where you have consistent properties from one fill to the next. 

"Be right and sit tight"

Mr. Fix
Mr. Fix's picture
Hat Tips: 55918
Don't forget firewood!

So often overlooked.....

"When the student is ready,
the teacher will appear."

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Waste Vegetable Oil - powers my Diesel Mercedes"