So you want to trade forex...

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
xaritas
xaritas's picture
Hat Tips: 1357
So you want to trade forex...

I'm moving this topic over from Pailin's Trading Corner (http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/pailins-trading-corner/242). Some questions came up about forex and spot metal trading. I just opened a forex account, but I only trade currency pairs. I'll try to summarize the questions and the answers I gave here. I know there are some seasoned currency traders *cough* humahuaca *cough* so maybe they will stop by.

Questions:

Do the forex people allow leverage??? In other words can I buy 100 ounces of gold for less than the price.   $150,000  approx is a lot of money.  I want leverage.  On Comex you can buy that for under $6000. 

When you buy on the forex do you buy a full 100 ounce contract or do you buy any unit you want.  and do you get leverage like on the comex or do you have to pay full price like withETF's. 

So for me to trade without leverage then how much money do I need in the account to trade.

My answers, in a rambling format, cut and pasted from other posts:

Minimum account sizes: it's going to depend on the broker, and also the smallest lot size that broker allows. For example, if you're broker lets you trade a minimum of 1 oz of silver at spot price, the minimum account size is pretty small... but so are your gains. The more the better, but like I said it depends on the broker.

Picking a broker: All serious forex brokers offer demo or paper trading accounts, some unlimited, some for a set time period. There should never, ever be an obligation attached. People here speak well of Oanda, but I haven't used them. If I were going to open a forex account outside of my regular broker I would look at Oanda or Dukascopy. You should be able to test drive either of them. forex.com is very popular, but a lot of people hate them. 

When I was researching forex, I found this site very helpful, it has lots of user reviews for various brokerages: http://www.forexpeacearmy.com/

Experience is the best teacher. I strongly recommend paper trading. I personally useAmeritrade/thinkorswim, they don't have the best forex platform but I can use a single broker for equities, options and forex.

Staying up to speed with current events: for news websites with a forex emphasis, I like

http://www.forexlive.com/

http://ransquawk.com/live

Using leverage and the psychology of trading:

Leverage works both ways. US firms are limited by the Frank-Dodd bill to 50x leverage, which should be plenty. Some firms outside the US offer up to 200:1 leverage (I think one allows 500:1).

With forex, or futures, a sudden movement in the wrong direction will use up all of your available margin, even if the condition lasts for only a tick. So a flash crash will wipe you out.

Also, when you buy on forex, the spread (difference between the buy price and sell price, which is the broker's fee) will put you immediately in the hole.

In sum, leverage is not something to start out with. I got much better at trading currency pairs on forex once I started using no leverage (all my positions were fully backed by the equity in my account). Even though I was only using 2x leverage, it was causing me to make bad decisions. I went though the same thing when learning options and figured I had fear/greed under control. Nope. So start small, go for a base hit or a walk or a hit by pitch, not a ten bagger.

How did I do today? Okay, nobody asked but I was short the EUR/USD in $10k increments from yesterday and I'll make at least $600.

Ask away, or teach.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:27
Gold Nugget
Gold Nugget's picture
Hat Tips: 434
Well this sounds pretty

Well this sounds pretty good.

If I want to buy physical silver coins I have to pay a big premium. 

So I could buy say a "paper" roll of 20 silver coins for the ask price and cash out my profit say a year later by selling them.  Overall cost will be lower loss of commissions.  Now I know I do not have physical possession but still I don't have to hide them in the house either. 

It sounds like I don't have to pay storage fee either.  of course there is no physical silver.  But not sure I care about that. 

please confirm if I have this correct.

Thanks in advance.

I gave you a hat tip.  :)

‘Nine times out of ten when I see an attractive woman walking down the street, I turn and take another look. Ten times out of ten she does not turn around to check me out.’

xaritas
xaritas's picture
Hat Tips: 1357
Not the best for long term

Use forex for short term trades, some people trade with 2 minute positions. I try to trade with fairly small contracts and let a position develop over 24-48 hours. At most you would hang on for a few weeks in a strongly trending market. Your position gets rolled over to the next day's contract once every 24 hours, and the middle man takes a cut each time.

For long term, allocated storage, look into:

http://www.goldmoney.com/

http://bullionvault.com/

For traditional securities, there is always CEF, PHYS, PSLV, GLD, SLV. Probably others.

L13
L13's picture
Hat Tips: 102
Very Interesting Thread

I have just activated a forex trading practice account and so will check back here.

Nothing useful to add at the moment as I have never entered into this kind of thing before and its looking a bit daunting right now.

Hoping to see this thread develop in the future!

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
www.babypips.com and

www.babypips.com and www.forexfactory.com are two good places to know about

speconomist
speconomist's picture
Hat Tips: 1809
Hi guys, don't you think that

Hi guys, don't you think that we all would benefit from actually having a full forum to talk about forex?

You can comment here if you're interested: http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/how-about-forex-forum/473

Mike MALOney hater.
Gingers DON'T have souls!

KK
KK's picture
Hat Tips: 443
I have a trade account with

I have a trade account with igmarkets(.co.uk). The forex pairs I trade are usd/chf and eur/chf. Both pairs are in a long term downtrend, but the movement is of course erratic on the shorter scale. I have to admit that I have lost more than I have gained.  My last trade was frustrating, hitting the stoploss and then resuming the downtrend. 

Currently no positions.

prana
prana's picture
Hat Tips: 579
OANDA

I recommend OANDA for FX trading. They have great spreads.... good trading platform.... lots of free analysis, info.... solid customer service.... and their proprietary FX Global Transfer allows you to send money all over the world @ very decent exchange rates.

speconomist
speconomist's picture
Hat Tips: 1809
Hey prana, I also use OANDA,

Hey prana, I also use OANDA, glad to know that I am not the only one here.

As you mentioned the spreads are quite good, and specially I like the platform, much more intuitive than MetaTrader.

Mike MALOney hater.
Gingers DON'T have souls!

georgem
georgem's picture
Hat Tips: 28
trade wisely

When I started trading forex I was taking profits too quickly. You have to let the market do it's thing. Have a tight stop and see if you catch a swing move. Otherwise you will churn yourself into oblivion. Easier said then done, I know believe me. Also go with an ECN the spreads are much tighter and execution is instant.

Cheers,

http://razorsforex.blogspot.com/2011/09/forex-video-analysis-on-euro-aud-and.html

clueless one
clueless one's picture
Hat Tips: 1016
Oanda

Just opened a practice account.. THIS COULD GET ADDICTING!!!  cool

Dang, things move fast!!

"For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad" Luke 8:17

sounds a little like the current times, eh?

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
Wow, I'm surprised I was able

Wow, I'm surprised I was able to find this with the search function.  Time to open me a practice account.  Thanks xaritas.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "So you want to trade forex..."