pre-1965 dimes

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Save_America1st
Save_America1st's picture
Hat Tips: 4165
pre-1965 dimes

Just picked up 120 Mercury and 50 Roosevelt dimes on ebay for just pennies over spot!  Each is worth about $2.57 right now...a great deal and over 12 more ounces of silver added to my stash.  Almost all of what I have are pure rounds, coins, and bars.  Figured it was a good time right now to check ebay for some 90% dimes.  Those little buggers are going to be great to have when the SHTF!

BTFD and FUBM!!!  Time for some beers and watch Glenn Beck and Freedom Watch (DVR's kick ass!). 

The Turd Rules

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Nice job buddy!!            

Nice job buddy!!                                    

I told you like 6 months ago to get some 90% coin!  I knew you'd come around.  yes

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Save_America1st
Save_America1st's picture
Hat Tips: 4165
Thanks man!

So you're now Eric Original, ay?  I thought that might be you, but wasn't sure.  I see you're tearing up Turd's new site like a mad man and have already graduated to "Digger" status as well as a leader on the Hat Tip board.  You're on a mission!  Good job! 

Well yeah, I got a wild hair and decided to cruz ebay for 90% stuff tonight because quite frankly ebay is outta control lately with .999 prices....insane!  Up until a couple weeks ago I was getting really good deals...now people are pushing .999 way way way over spot for almost everything, and the quality has really dropped off.

But I'm on my way to getting 1000 ounces.  Since I started in January, I think I'm at around 700 oz's or so.  Plus I have my 1 sealed U.S. gold Buffalo. 

Was wanting to pick up another 1 oz gold coin though.  Right now the cheapest 1 oz gold coin at GVille Coins are some older Canadian Maple Leafs for 1568/oz.  That's only 37 zombies over spot...that's a pretty killer deal, right?

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
Junking

Much 90% in my future.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Killer Deal

37 over?  hell yeah that's a killer deal.  Especially since you are cash and carry.  No credit card fee, no sales tax, no shipping.  Fck yeah

You might also give some consideration to those old U.S. $20 Double Eagles like I was talking about a while back.  Cost a little more, but in the lower grades you can play with it.  Keep it on your desk, jingle it around, get some recreation value.  Plus they are awful purty.cheeky

http://www.gainesvillecoins.com/products/154657/20GoldSaintGaudensRawCommonDate.aspx?id=154657

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
Dimes are the most practical

Dimes are the most practical 90% except if you get barbers that are too worn.  Be careful getting dimes that are too flat they are light.  I dont know how light but they are definitely  light.

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
outta control

your ebay experience sounds just like what I went through when I was buying a shitpile of silver last year.  I was buying .999, then when that got too pricey I started buying 90% coin.  Then when that got unreasonable I started buying sterling silver spoons!  Then they got out of control and I just had to stop.  Still get a good deal on gold coins once in a while though.

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Weight of worn gold

Hey Eric,

Have you ever weighted a worn gold coin and compared it to a AU+ coin?  I wonder how much weight loss there is.

With 90% silver, you are generally safe buying face value when:

Dimes - Roosevelt's and newer Merc's

Quarters - Washington - late 40's and newer

Halves - 64 Kennedy's, Franklin's and newer Walkers

All the rest s/b purchased by the TROY ounce (or converted to troy ounces).

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
worn gold

That's a good question, and I don't have an answer for it.

I have taken a few worn Double Eagles in to shops to possibly sell or to get an appraisal for.  I can say that they don't even bother to put them on the scale unless they are really bad looking ones.  And even then they didn't say anything about them being underweight or anything.

Those cleaned or "Fine" Double Eagles I'm talking about are still pretty decent looking coins though.  Nowhere near the amount of wear that you are talking about with smoothie 90% coins.  Not even close.  Gold just never circulated all that much.  Never had the day in and day out handling that small change had.

erewenguy
erewenguy's picture
Hat Tips: 3617
The Barber halves I have

The Barber halves I have checked tend to run about 10% lighter than Kennedys. Weight loss of Barber dimes available on ebay at near melt value would probably be equal or greater from my experience.

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
"Those cleaned or "Fine"

"Those cleaned or "Fine" Double Eagles I'm talking about are still pretty decent looking coins though.  Nowhere near the amount of wear that you are talking about with smoothie 90% coins.  Not even close.  Gold just never circulated all that much.  Never had the day in and day out handling that small change had."

I agree with you that for bullion, you really can't go wrong with the cleaned Fine or better coins, as you pointed out, they sell pretty much sell a little over spot.  However, I would stay away from well worn coins unless I had my scale with me.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "pre-1965 dimes"