Oil is Even HOTTER in North Dakota

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
retired pipefitter
retired pipefitter's picture
Hat Tips: 33
Oil is Even HOTTER in North Dakota

Some people may be lurking on this board because they are out of work. Well, if you are serious about getting a job, why not apply for one that can get you $100,000+ per year -- with NO experience. Think you can drive a big truck for 14 to 16 hours per day? Can you get a CDL rating? Google "jobs nd oilfield" (947,000 hits) and get your buns out there. It is hard to find a place to stay, but they are building workers camps. Many sleep in their vehicle or in a tent. The activity is unbelievable! They CAN'T FIND ENOUGH WORKERS! Think you can work on a drilling rig? A survey crew? Can you help build a tank farm or tank facility? Run a bulldozer? Do general labor? Jesus -- they got it all......

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:18
retired pipefitter
If you have questions, I'll monitor this topic.

Ask away!

Gil
Gil's picture
Hat Tips: 1175
This reminds me of the 1970s.

This reminds me of the 1970s. Even college boys like me could go out to the grease patch, find a campground to live in for the summer, work like a dog, drink like a miner and make some FRNs to get through the next year.  

Sockeye
Sockeye's picture
Hat Tips: 1234
Can I get a job? I am 68

Can I get a job?

I am 68 years old on Social Security.

I want one of those $100,000 plus jobs.

Do I get health insurance and life insurance.

Will they pay for my heart doctor.

Do they offer free burial expenses.

I am almost always wrong. But the fun in life is those few times when I am right.

davefess
davefess's picture
Hat Tips: 753
interesting

I may look into this. I am trading to make money right now, but it is going so, so. I was born in Detroit Lakes, MN so I am familiar with the area somewhat.

"it's game over man, game over!"

bullclip
bullclip's picture
Hat Tips: 36
Lifestyle

The oil boom has changed our lifestyle.  The traffic is so bad we don't even travel much anymore.  One eye on the road ahead & the other watching the mirrors to see what could be a problem.  Cost of living has increased to some of the higher prices in the state now. Police are overworked, not safe for younger women to be out in the evenings alone.  The JOBS are here but no housing & the winters are long and hard.

retired pipefitter
@Sockeye

You said you are 68 years old. If you are healthy and can still put in a 16 hour day, and you have a CDL license, you'd find a job in a hurry. If you do not drink alcohol, your boss would know that he could count on you in an emergency and call you in at midnight without finding you in a bar. That would be a big plus.

Most companies offer health insurance where they pay some of the premium and a 401k with some matching. Expect that over half of your pay would be from overtime.

However, keep in mind that we are talking the upper mid-western work ethic -- and that is NOT the East coast or West coast work ethic. You would need to be to work ON TIME every day you are scheduled, and work until your shift was over -- or until they told you to go home for the day. If you call in sick, you better be in a hospital. If you start missing work time, you would be replaced as soon as they can find someone else.

For example, I lived in NY City for a while back in the early 80's. It seemed like half the people of working age could not hold down a job. Either they couldn't get up in time to make it to work without being late, or several days per week, they couldn't show up at all.

When I first got there, I stayed in a hotel, and one evening I went to the hotel buffet for supper. I was going through the line with my plate, and came to an empty mashed potato container. I asked the woman standing nearby if she would please fill up the bowl. She said that she couldn't, as she was the gravy gal, and I would have to ask the potato gal to do that. Notice that she didn't offer to ask the potato gal herself, but that I would have to do it. Welcome to NYC!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Oil is Even HOTTER in North Dakota"