Metal Detecting trip last Sunday.

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Argent
Argent's picture
Hat Tips: 442
Metal Detecting trip last Sunday.

Last Sunday was quite a decent day so I decided to take a trip to one of my local sites for the afternoon,spent about 4 hours and this was the result in spendable and a Silver Sixpence found,a few other pre decimal coins turned up but they all ended up in the scrap box.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/bobbluesboy/DSCF1276.jpg

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/bobbluesboy/scan0016.jpg

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:07

Destroying the Country to save the Banks.

Argent
Argent's picture
Contd.

After a spot of cleaning up,the spendable got transferred for these.Just to show that for some time and a drop of petrol you never know whats going to turn up,and there are other ways to put PM,s in your stash.Excellent result.

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/bobbluesboy/scan0014.jpg

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
Sounds like fun. What kit

Sounds like fun.

What kit would you recommend?

Lurck
Lurck's picture
Site selection

Hi Johnny Newcome,

Great to hear about your trip. Would you mind telling us how you choose the sites you invest your time in ? And I second Silvernomic's question about your detection kit.

Argent
Argent's picture
The Detectors I use

The Detectors I use I have had for a few years,currently have 2 x Laser B1 Hi-Powers,brought second hand for approx £150.00 each and a Fisher 1266-x purchased about new about 11 years ago for approx £450.00.All the machines have paid for themselves several times over.Anywhere people gather coins will lurk,to find modern in quantity look for any areas with sand or woodchippings in parks or playgrounds,paths,etc.For older stuff do some local research,coins turn up everywhere fields,gardens,etc.You do not have to spend a fortune on a detector,buy a second hand one like a turn on and go machine for £100 - £200,get to know your machine and you will soon start finding the tackle.In Australia some guys jack up a plough to a pick-up,plough up the outback,then detect the ground to find Gold Nuggets in the Gold fields.

What I want to show with this post is that due to economic circumstances we are not all rich and cannot buy 1000 oz bars,etc, but we may have time to go out and find stuff thats modern and spendable or hundreds of years old.The 1944 Silver Sixpence has been in the ground for probably 60 years before I stumbled across it last Sunday,wonder if whoever lost it had to walk home.Just about to have my lunch but will post some finds and stuff on later. Bob.

Argent
Argent's picture
I always carry the Detector

I always carry the Detector in the boot of the car ready for immediate action,quite often whilst coming home from work or on a trip out I see a likely spot and give it a go for 20 minutes to see if it is worth searching.These Silver Coins are all detecting finds mainly Pre 47 .500 Silver but with the odd Pre 20 .925.The German Silver 3 Mark coin turned up in a local park,dates from just after the Weimar and is a quite rare coin,how history repeats itself.Bob.

Does anyone know how to post the pictures straight on rather than using the links .

http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd436/bobbluesboy/scan0017.jpg

erewenguy
erewenguy's picture
Hat Tips: 3617
Great pictures Argent. My

Great pictures Argent. My wife is a great "metal detector" - finds loose change on the ground no matter where we are. A few weeks ago she found an 1860 Indian head cent on the floor of a local store. I should get her a detector to expand her reach a bit deeper!

Argent
Argent's picture
Have to send my Girlfriend

Have to send my Girlfriend round for a bit of training I think.Bob. :)

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Argent, in the post box click

Argent, in the post box click on the Image icon (immediately left of the smiley). Enter the weblink in the URL box and click ok.

You can resize images by dragging their borders in.

Argent
Argent's picture
Last Summer and before

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
You FOUND a MAPLE? That's

You FOUND a MAPLE?

That's pretty wild.  It's not often that you find non-circulating currency in the ground.

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Thanks for the kit reply,

Thanks for the kit reply, btw.

Holy **** - you found gold sovereigns on your detecting travels?

Argent
Argent's picture
Thanks for the Tip

Thanks for the Tip Silvernomics.I have found 2 Gold Sovereigns over the years ,I will post some pictures later.

The comments I was going to post with the above picture was about last summer.Because the weather is better in the Summer if you find the right sites and they get plenty of traffic,i.e. people,they can fill up with spendable coins quite rapidly.Which means that you can find quite a bit on your weekly travels.Because of work last Summer I used to go out mainly at weekends.I would get up on a Saturday and Sunday morning at say 6.30am and be gone,do 4-5 hours and return home usually with say £15 - £20.Because last summer the big Silver OZ was going up daily I then spent the cash on the net buying Silver Coins.All the coins in the picture apart from the 3 Gold and the 2 uncirculated Half Crowns were purchased out of detecting spendable cash last summer (Silver was a bit cheaper then).Because I have been detecting for approx 25 years in previous years I used to buy Gold and Silver Coins quite often with the old detecting spendable and they were a lot cheaper years ago.The 2 Gold Half Sovereigns were purchased at a local coin auction about 2002 for £25 each,the Russian Gold 5 Rouble off the net at the same time for £27 and the 2 Uncirculated Silver Halfcrowns for about £5 and £6 in the coin auction.More to come.Bob.

Argent
Argent's picture
Nice to see you around

Nice to see you around T.Mosley,love some of your stuff on ZH.Bob aka Golden Balls.

Argent
Argent's picture
Tried to edit the pictures so

Tried to edit the pictures so they appear but unfortunately out of time.Bob.

Argent
Argent's picture
Motherstash

Argent
Argent's picture
This is currently the

This is currently the Motherstash,waiting for a Huge BTFD in Silver or other emergencies.At Christmas it stood at £150 so I cleaned a fair bit of it brought a few Silver Coins and it went down to £100.This is at it stands of today,it currently stands at £245 with the trips made this year.Earlier I said I visit my sites regularly,one of the reasons for this is because modern Cupro Nickel coins soon start to discolour and can soon start to corrode especially with wood chippings that can be very acidic.Some sites I visit every 3-6 months as they are slow to fill up,others every 2 weeks or so as they fill up rapidly and I reap that harvest.All Copper coins are quckly changed,really badly discoloured ones are used in machines and for car parking,the rest I clean in Lemon juice giving them a buff up to get rid of the yellow tinge.All good stuff,Bob  :) .

Argent
Argent's picture
As promised scans of the 2 x

As promised scans of the 2 x Gold sovereigns found metal detecting.Do not grow on tree,s,2 in 30 years but lovely to find.Both found as single finds and despite hammering the area,s no more were found. Both Victorian Shield Back Sovereigns,dates 1843 and 1863.

Argent
Argent's picture
Recent Activity.

Unfortunately have not had much time this week for posting and our weather has been poor since last time I posted but still managed a couple of trips with £14.50 spendable.Do not really like what I have seen recently in the markets and manipulation in PM,s I personally feel the whole financial system with US debt,Greece and the bankrupt Europe,etc, is just waiting for something to happen.With this in mind I decided it was time to turn some of my fiat detecting stash into Silver,so thats what I did with these arriving in the post this morning.I just trust the system less and less everyday,time for a bit of Silver Securitisation.

Argent
Argent's picture
Oldest Golden note.

On a Golden note,this is the earliest Gold Coin I possess.It is a Celtic Gold Stater,the type is a Gallic War Gold Stater.When Julius Ceasar invaded Gaul (modern day France) in  58-55 BC the Celtic Tribes in Gaul struck Gold Staters to pay Celtic merceneries from all over the Celtic world to fight in the war.Celtic mercenaries only accepted Gold,Silver and Horses as payment,no fiat rubbish was acceptable.Beautiful coin,virtually pure Gold and virtually as struck,a UK detector find from many,many years ago.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Super cool coin!  Thx

Super cool coin!  Thx

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Metal Detecting trip last Sunday."