Long term rations

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Colonel-Angus
Colonel-Angus's picture
Hat Tips: 330
Long term rations

If you are a member of Costco, this is a new item. One month food storage, 15 year shelf life, 330 servings. $100.00   Not sure about the quality though. I think I'll get it for hurricane preparedness, also a SHTF scenario.              Hay Turd have you met the Col. Great job on the website!             http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11649759&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|1482&N=4000486&Mo=72&No=40&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=1482&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=          

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Colonel-Angus
Colonel-Angus's picture
Dag-nab-it, I see their's

Dag-nab-it, I see their's already been some colonelangus goins-on on Turd's site. I'll have to come up with something else.  Woe is me.

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 758
Costco food

They also sell the Shelf Reliance long term food storage products which are of good quality. 

I bought one of these buckets for a quick grab/hurricane emergency supply.   I plan to take some of the food camping, I'll let you all know.  Looks like you need a lot of water to make this system work.  Everything is dehydrated.

Our monetary system has been hijacked by morons! Abandon ship!!!!

Daedalus Mugged
Daedalus Mugged's picture
Hat Tips: 851
I read a review somewhere

I read a review somewhere else (not from personal experience) that labeling these as a 'one month supply' for 'one person' is pretty misleading due to the way it is internally packaged.  It is much closer to a 5-6 day supply for a family of 5.  There was some complaint that it was a relatively modest number of relatively large packages that would not keep well once opened and were designed to be used at once.  You couldn't really cook only a little out of each package.  That is you couldn't practically make a single serving of mashed potatoes, you pretty much had to make a crap load.  (Turd load?) 

There was also a complaint that it was very carb heavy; it provided enough calories to live, but it was not at all balanced, with a shortage of protein.  In other words, one of them might work for a while, but if you bought a bunch of them as a center piece of your food storage, you would have a problem long term unless you had some other protein supplementation.   

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
Costco

What fascinates me the most is Costco has a pretty extensive selection these days; and growing.  They wouldn't list that much if the market for it wasn't there. 

Yes, the dehydrated does take a lot of water to prepare.  I view the dehydrated as a supplement to our canned (which we rotate).  Using dehydrated and canned together can make for a pretty good selection of recipes.  The freeze-dried types are left for more serious needs (when water supply is low, or energy to boil a lot of water is limited).  Also, one might be surprised how easy it is to incorporate dehydrated and freeeze-dried into everyday cooking.  Dehydrated milk, eggs, cheese, vegetables, fruits and meats can be used to make common recipes, and in most cases you cannot tell the difference between using them and using canned or frozen.  I find there is less waste with the dehydrated or freeze-dried since you only use exactly what you need, and the rest can be so easily stored.

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 758
Agree with reveiw

Yeah this thing is an emergency supply source only.  I would say that for me (6'3" 240 lbs and active) it's about a 10 day supply at most  and would need a protein supplement, but it looks to be a source of fairly healthy calories in a pinch.  I would agree that once you open a package that's what you'll be eating until it's gone.

Agree, NOT a centerpiece of food storage, but the price is right for emergency preparedness.

I tossed a dozen 30g protein bars and some vitamins in the bucket.  It is really easy to grab and go.

Our monetary system has been hijacked by morons! Abandon ship!!!!

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
Plug: emac's tactical shop

Figured this was a good place to make a plug. Not affiliated in any way, but I just received my freeze dried Wise food long-term buckets in the mail the other day. When I originally ordered it, there was a 6-8 week delay. Now the delay is 8-10 weeks on his website.

http://www.emacstacticalshop.com/page/407357570

The prices are really good from my research and he offers free shipping. I didn't open the bucket cause it has a tear strip, figured this is my emergency food supply so why start opening it up?

Colonel-Angus
Colonel-Angus's picture
I agree this would just be a

I agree this would just be a part of your food stash. I'm going to order one from Costco and a bucket from tactical shop, these look good too. One freeze dried, one dehydrated. I'll sample both and let you know what I think. I also have been watching for buy one get one free sales. I'll buy ten or twelve cans of  meats, veg, and just use a couple, the rest go on the long term shelf. No fifteen year shelf life though. I've tried the canned bacon everyone was talking about a while back, it's very good but a little pricey.

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
angus...

Colonel-Angus wrote:

I agree this would just be a part of your food stash. I'm going to order one from Costco and a bucket from tactical shop, these look good too. One freeze dried, one dehydrated. I'll sample both and let you know what I think. I also have been watching for buy one get one free sales. I'll buy ten or twelve cans of  meats, veg, and just use a couple, the rest go on the long term shelf. No fifteen year shelf life though. I've tried the canned bacon everyone was talking about a while back, it's very good but a little pricey.

Just so you know, the Wise food buckets I ordered is supposed to be like Mountain House. You can use either boiling or hot water (boiling makes quicker prep time). There are a few videos on youtube and I even was in contact with emac, he said it tastes pretty damn good for packaged food.

I'm considering this my back-up food plan. Use the cans first and anything laying around thats fresh, then as a last resort dive into the buckets. 25yr shelf life as long as its kept in a cool/dry place from the instructions.

Now I need to get a dehydrator for jerky... yum!

I Got Worms
I Got Worms's picture
Hat Tips: 25
I've got the one year supply

I've got the one year supply from eFoods Direct, think it was called the Liberty Plan. Came with a Berkey too. Anyone ever eaten anything from eFoods? Is it worth a damn?

I am planning to order a couple of their 2 week "responder" pack, in case I need to haul ass in a hurry and leave the house behind.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Canned Bacon!!

You don't think I would miss a reference to my beloved Canned Bacon anywhere on this blog do you?  Wooo Hoooo! heart

Seriously though, not to continue as a silly cheerleader or anything, but given the price of regular bacon in the stores these days, and given that a single can of the stuff is equivalent to about  3 pounds of bacon, it really doesn't seem that pricey to me any more.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Long term rations"