Krugs - the Rodney Dangerfield of bullion coins

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246
Krugs - the Rodney Dangerfield of bullion coins

Why I can I pick these up for such a small premium on fleabay?  Not that I'm complaining. . .    But the 1oz Eagles typically have a $100 premium over the Krugs.   WTF?

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14706
There are a lot more of them,

There are a lot more of them, and they aren't as pretty.

I love them.  It's the only gold coin I buy these days.

mdcromer
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246
Thanks tmoseley.  I'll keep

Thanks tmoseley.  I'll keep buying them too (and sovs for fractionals).  I have my 1/10 eagle to look at when I want pretty. . .

Actually the most beautiful coin I own (actually my son owns) is a birthday present he got in 2004 -- a proof ASE.  Just a gorgeous coin that inspires PM lust beyond all measure!  Me, I'm buying 90% "junk" for my silver for now. . .

TerrorTed
TerrorTed's picture
Hat Tips: 202
Aren't they 22 karat?

Aren't they 22 karat? Still one oz of gold (of course) but mixed with other metals - I guess that makes them less popular?

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
Gold eagles and gold

Gold eagles and gold britannias are 22 karat too. It's the copper not silver content in the krugs that gives them their colour, I think.

Maple leafs are 24 karat, but this isn't necessarily seen as an advantage as it means they are softer and scratch more easily.

TerrorTed
TerrorTed's picture
Hat Tips: 202
I bet its an IRS thing

Ah right you are, my bad.

Maybe its an IRS reporting thing. Doesn't the vendor have to report Krug purchases over a certain level? Which of course tends to suppress their perceived value?

Lets see if I can be 0 for 2 on this one :0)

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
South Africa Discount

There was a time for a while there when people were boycotting anything to do with South Africa, and Krugs maybe fell out of favor due to that for a while.  Then American Eagles came along and just took over the market.

Before the Eagles came along Krugs, Austrian 100 Corona's, and Mexican 50 Pesos were popular coins.  All fell out of favor and now are super cheap.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

jumblies
jumblies's picture
Hat Tips: 102
Aren't they 22 karat?

TerrorTed wrote:

Aren't they 22 karat? Still one oz of gold (of course) but mixed with other metals - I guess that makes them less popular?

http://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/1-ounce-krugerrand/1oz-gold-krugerrand/

Krugerrands are the most popular gold bullion coin in the world and offer a great value way to invest in gold. Krugerrands are 22 carat gold, but weight more than a troy ounce and therefore contain exactly 1 troy ounce of fine (24 carat) gold.

Shakey
Shakey's picture
Of course, those 24k Maples

Of course, those 24k Maples would be easier to melt down if the need arose.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Krugs - the Rodney Dangerfield of bullion coins"