How much money do you spend on physical silver every month?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
sevin
sevin's picture
Hat Tips: 1149
Not enough! But I can spend

Not enough! But I can spend some more now that the 99 cent stores in Texas have a deal this week in honor of Lebron James. The deal is everything is only 75 cents for those who don't have a fourth quarter.

Usually I try to buy 20 oz a month, but I'm just a poor college kid trying to prepare for the inevitable.

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
14-15oz a month for me. (lately)

I spend $600 a month on silver. I have been buying silver for about a year, mostly Silver Eagles.

sevin
sevin's picture
Hat Tips: 1149
not sure how it works at all

not sure how it works at all coin shops, but with the one i go to, there is no sales tax if it's over $500 so usually I get right over that when i go.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
I buy between $300 and $400

I buy between $300 and $400 per month depending on where the price is.  Sometimes I hold and save for a dip.  I haven't bought anything over $40 yet so I have some dough ready to drop....

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
How long have you

How long have you been buying silver fumofo?

Two Gun Tobin
Two Gun Tobin's picture
Hat Tips: 363
Buy $1500 month

Here in Ca. no tax if you buy more than $1500... so thats what I do, usually 10oz bars.

Gunrunner
Gunrunner's picture
Hat Tips: 277
How much do I buy

I buy a roll of twenty about every two months.  Time are tough and after college tuition for the kiddo, I am able to work that into my budget.  Unlike 7 stated, here in Texas the tax break comes in at $1000.00.  The last roll I bought was from a local gold and silver buyer and out of their four locations, I bought their entire inventory of 26 silver eagles.  I have read where the supply is low and this could very well be true.  I do not buy proofs or collectibles, just bullion coins.  My collection is at 145 silver eagles and 250 maples.  I do have 5 gold eagles and 7 buffalos to compliment my collection.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Since early 2008

I started when it was around $15-16/oz back in 08.  Kept buying up to $20 that year because I wasn't expecting Silver to correct.  But it did and I was buying like crazy when it dropped back down to $9.   Of course I couldn't find it anywhere for that price!  I have mixed lots - ASE's, Maples, Phils, Libs, Kooks, Pandas, private mint bars and rounds, and a gang of junk with some really nice peace and morgans.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
I forgot the koalas and I

I forgot the koalas and I have a bit of sterling as well...

R man J
R man J's picture
Hat Tips: 2566
Au and Ag numbers

Stuck with 401k and can't get out for 4 more years.  Started buying PMs in 1999, got more serious in '06 but got intensely serious in '09.

Now putting all retirement investments into Au/Ag since early 2010.

$1250 Ag / $750 Au per month for last 15 months. Sleeping better.

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Impressive

Impressive

plunder
plunder's picture
Hat Tips: 319
Next feature on TFM: the poll

This would be a perfect poll for the forums. This and the "guess the price and the date" competitions that occasionally pop up.

I'm at $3-400 same as sterling.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
$1000/month for the past 9

$1000/month for the past 9 months or so. Sort of late to the party (started at $17) because I was very cautious/resistant not owning a single oz of either silver or gold, brand new totally wet behind the ears.

I like to think I have a retirement safe vs a retirement account. 

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Mike
Mike's picture
Hat Tips: 234
We buy as much as we can

of silver/gold/mining shares as often we can. We will buy today and next week.

A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead and prepares for them; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences. Proverbs 22:3

Spud
Spud's picture
Hat Tips: 4
For the last year

on average £400-£500 a month on physical with the odd large purchase when flush.

TerrorTed
TerrorTed's picture
Hat Tips: 202
Same as me, Spud

I'm currently on a £400 Silver budget per month.

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
after I have enough beer..

After I'm sure i have enough food and beer and the rent and electricity and utility bills are paid, it all goes to silver. But I don't buy regularly, I have a good relationship with my dealer here in Chico but the last few months I have gotten the feeling he dosent like to see me coming, even though I surely must be what he considers a good customer. The problem for him is I only show up when there is a good dip.

When we broke below $35 I showed up and cleaned him out of ASE's, and as he was selling them to me he told me he had bought a lot of them earlier that day above $36.

I also am not ashamed to admit I sold him around $5000 worth when we were still at $45, and at the time he was looking at me like I was crazy. I still havent bought all of that back though.

Since I got a kegerator though I've had a lot more to put towards my stash, the economics of buying a keg at a time are so much better than six packs and cases, plus where I live we have what I consider one of the worlds most kickass breweries, sierra nevada, and I get kegs right from them at a pretty good price.

My favorite silver right now is 1996 eagles, don't know why really, the heart wants what it wants. Speaking of which, here is one of my favorite beers from there:

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Varies

Varies from month to month on how much I "invest."  Mainly depends on the amount of spare $$ I have, the current price and which way the wind is blowing. :-)

Mainly buy ASE's and 90% US with a few bars if I can get a good price on them.

Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 758
Slow/steady accumulation

Simplified my life a few years ago to substantially boost  savings/investing and have been allocating some to PMs since 2000, have been putting almost all savings into phys pm/pm stocks since QE1 to build the stash.  I've also been slowly converting all existing investments to what I view as quality inflation hedges: mining stocks are in there, as are quality US companies that have shown less volatility over the past two years.

Been buying monthly in roughly fixed increments: ASE/AGE and some larger format bars/rounds when the premium is right.  Keeping a good deal of powder dry just in case we get another "generational" asset buying oportunity.  

Our monetary system has been hijacked by morons! Abandon ship!!!!

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture

Nice!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "How much money do you spend on physical silver every month?"