How many of you hold physical in your homes?

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596

What kind of measures do you take to ensure that no one is aware of your collection? Also, what kind of safes can you recommend for holding 1000+ ounces? 

Slowly hoarding up my physical, which I will soon be chronicling on my little blog 1964silver.com

I'm mostly purchasing "Junk silver" off of Ebay because I've found that around 2 am eastern I can really swipe up some of these lots.

However, that is to say: I've also noticed that the price of a roll (20 coins) has gone up from $200 in mid February to nearly $290 + shipping today.

Truth, people will always pay slightly more on eBay. However, I've really been able to come out ahead on some of the auctions there. It's mostly very liquid, except late at night. Then you can hunt for a nice 10 oz bar for $389 shipped + $8 cashback. Ebay cashback program is great.

Also, I am BESTEVER. I run a collection of websites and have some incredible web development infrastructure at my fingertips, if any of you are interested in getting a site online.

Big ups. 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09

Compare Silver Prices

Fighting Gael
Fighting Gael's picture
Hat Tips: 545

where else would u keep it?...lol

fyi, ebay cashbacks is no more as of today........................sob, sob

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Gael

Are you talking the ebay Bucks?  I don't see anything about it ending...

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
Quote:What kind of measures

Quote:
What kind of measures do you take to ensure that no one is aware of your collection?

I don't talk about it - kinda like fight club.  Nobody knows I hold.  NOBODY!

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

bernard
bernard's picture
Wow, odd, I just logged into

Wow, odd, I just logged into eBay and I can't see the ebay bucks anywhere anymore. Those bastards better not have done away with it, I had over $100 waiting for redemption in early July.

But it is odd, usually my current ebay bucks balance is always right next to the eBay logo header in the top right of the screen. Definitely not there anymore.

Compare Silver Prices

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
ebay bucks

Mine are still there same as always.  $181.54 waiting for me.  17 days...

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Fighting Gael
Fighting Gael's picture
Hat Tips: 545
i didnt say u lose what u

i didnt say u lose what u accumulated....

when u buy, there is no more rebates...............................

hope that clears it up...

bernard
bernard's picture
Ohh yeah. Some kookaburras

Ohh yeah. Some kookaburras are definitely in order. Although these babies are carrying a pretty hefty premium, they are some of the nicest coins I've got. Also really partial to the kilo perth mint bars, though. Ahh.. so much confetti to waste, so much digital currency to exchange, for little brown packages at the PO BOX filled with clinking shiny things.

Compare Silver Prices

Tube
Tube's picture
Hat Tips: 876
1.  Find a local dealer and

1.  Find a local dealer and foster a good relationship with them.  You can get 90% at or below spot of you do and pay in cash to keep it anonymous. 

2.  Don't tell anyone about your stash.  NO ONE!  And DON'T show or post anything online.  I know its been said a 1000 times but "loose lips sink ships".

3.  Hide in plain sight (lots of stuff on this here at TF's site) or get a safe.  A great place to buy a safe is at

http://www.blueskysafes.com/home-office-safes/eurovault.htm

They are inexpensive (relatively) and you can haggle with them.  Eurovault is a good safe but they are not UL rated.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Tube

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Break it up and hide it in

Break it up and hide it in many places if you need to keep it at home.

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Another place for rebates

I noticed by eBay bucks are still there.  However, that is really going to suck if they dropped the program.  Must be in correlation with them starting to charge fees on shipping (crooks!!)

Anyway, follow this link and you can get 3% off eBay as well as rebates from other vendors:

http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=321741

I use it a lot and have received over $800 in rebates so far on eBay purchases.  You have to register and click through the site to eBay to get the rebate (just follow the instructions carefully) from the purchase.  Like eBay, it takes 3 months to get your check and they only process at the end of each month but it is well worth the wait.

Between this, eBay Bucks and my CC, I was getting 6% of all my purchases on eBay.

R man J
R man J's picture
Hat Tips: 2562
Keeping your little shiny friends close

How long would it take you to find and remove all of it, even if you knew where it was? 

To your home stored PMs, add Obstacles, difficult-to-get-to-places and widespread inconveniences.

Even if you have a little in an obvious place, like a drawer: put long screws with different heads from through the drawer body, so the drawer can't open without removing them. That would take a couple of minutes (and the right tools) to remove...and less time to go after the other stuff. 

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
How safe is a safe?

I'd like to add that sometime early this year (or late last year) it was reported on the news that someone in Surrey, BC (Surrey is a part of Metro Vancouver) lost about several hundred thousand $ worth of silver bullion!  

He placed his silver in a safe, but opened his safe for his robbers who threatened and stabbed him.  So having a safe doesn't make it safe if people know you have bullion in it!  No one should know you have bullion.  Furthermore, even if no one knows, the mere fact that you have a safe that is poorly hid may lead loss of your valuables.  I think it's easier to hide bullion than a safe - I feel that using a safe in  itself is a risk.

Jake
Jake's picture
Hat Tips: 7806
You're Paying Too Much At EBAY

bestever wrote:

I'm mostly purchasing "Junk silver" off of Ebay because I've found that around 2 am eastern I can really swipe up some of these lots.

However, that is to say: I've also noticed that the price of a roll (20 coins) has gone up from $200 in mid February to nearly $290 + shipping today.

Truth, people will always pay slightly more on eBay. However, I've really been able to come out ahead on some of the auctions there. It's mostly very liquid, except late at night. Then you can hunt for a nice 10 oz bar for $389 shipped + $8 cashback. Ebay cashback program is great.

$290 + (Say, $5 shipping) = $41.26/oz.---Hardly a Good Deal---LOL

$389+8 (now that you don't get any cash back) = $39.7/oz. + shipping (roughly $4 over spot?)---Hardly a good deal. You can get PROOF QUARTERS for that price! ($27.91/0.723=$38.60)

http://www.providentmetals.com/90-silver-proof-state-quarters-1-face-value-723-troy-ounces.html

Just go to Provident Metals and buy their junk silver

90% Coins: $25.58/0.715= $35.77/oz.

http://www.providentmetals.com/1-face-value-90-silver-us-coins.html

Random Halves: $25.94/0.715= $36.27/oz.

http://www.providentmetals.comus-half-dollar-1-face-our-choice.html

Heck!--Even Franklin Halves Are Cheap! $26.01/0.715= $36.38

http://www.providentmetals.com/1-face-value-90-silver-us-franklin-half-dollars.html

Your Silver--I Want to Buy it! Sell Me Your Silver!

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
eBay silver

When I buy of eBay, I won't touch it is it is more than a dollar or two under spot, including shipping.  Sure, i miss a lot but i also win.  The gravy is the eBay bucks and the 3% rebate.  I have an excel spreadsheet that does all the calculations for me.  I just need to put in the face value, oz's or grams and the price I want to pay under spot.  It tells me the max bid I need to place.

I have to laugh at some of the BIN's on there because I can calculate backward and see the price of silver they are wanting.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
ebay discussion

there's more similar ebay discussion over at this Forum:

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/ebay-announces-new-gold-silver-bullion-center/256

crashjp
crashjp's picture
Hat Tips: 26
If you want to spend a grand

If you want to spend a grand or so you can get a liberity safe hat has enough from for your guns and way over 1000 rounds of silver, if you want to spend less you can go to Sams club and get a very nice sizable safe for less that $400.00, if you want to spend less that that you can got to harbor freight and get a safe that will store 1000 rounds for about 50 bucks, i didnt like it because it is electronic entry only, i like the comfort of having a key.

In the absence of light, darkness reigns supreme.

Dimeboy
Dimeboy's picture
Hat Tips: 198
The Safe is a decoy.....

Bought a huge, obvious, bright green gunsafe (HUNTER brand, 36 guns, 500 lbs).  Sits smack in the middle of the basement - can't miss it.

Since it says it's a gunsafe, no-one will try and cut through as it will ruin the contents - no such deterrent if it's an obvious goods (Phiz) safe and a sloppy torch can cause a fire.

Guns are actually in a hidden safe behind a false wall.

Silver is hidden all over the house. (4 levels - would take hours to find half of it.)

Nothing of value in the very big, expensive, obvious safe - Sacks of copper pennies mostly for weight and sound / feel. Let them knock themselves out while we wait for the cops signalled from the monitored motion detectors and window/door contacts. The whole episode is on hidden camera as well.

hah!

UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
Op-sec people.. you shouldn't

Op-sec people.. you shouldn't be saying what/how much of anything you have and where you keep it. Nails that stick up get hammered down. 

fatcat
fatcat's picture
Where was his safe?

Do you know if his safe was easy to spot or hidden? I wonder how the robbers knew he had a safe.

I have a friend who has a safe built into the floor of his house and with a false floor to cover it,  plus his couch above that, his safe is not easy to find.

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
Re: Where was his safe?

@ fatcat:

I think just as important as where he hid his safe (maybe even more important?), is who ​knew​ about his safe.  It was a targetted attack, and the victim was quoted as saying that someone he knew must have mentioned that he had a stash of silver infront of the wrong people.  

Your friend seems to have placed his/her safe in a good place, but if I knew who this friend was, it wouldn't take much to take his/her assets now would it?  I wouldn't even need to know where it's hidden, all I would need is a name and an address.  A bold enough thief can target you while​ you're home and get the truth from you.  You can substitute the word "thief" with "government" or whoever... bottomline is, tell ​no one​.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "How many of you hold physical in your homes?"