How to make a buried stash undetectable to a metal detector

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
How to make a buried stash undetectable to a metal detector

This is an appeal for expertise!

What is the best way to plant your monster boxes away from the prying beeps of a metal detector?

Specifics appreciated - ie best materials, methods.

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
hiding from the beeps

I'm not sure if you can trick the machine, but I do know you could trick the human operator.  I believe some machines can actually tell the operator how dense the metal is thats being detected.  So, bury your metal really deep I'd say maybe 3' or so, then just maybe six inches above the surface put in a distraction of lead or tungsten.  Then again I'm no metal detector expert, but maybe you could bury it so deep maybe 6' so the detector won't pick up your metal through all that dirt?

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
I've been researching this

I've been researching this issue (well, I re-watched Superman the other day) - what about encasing the metal in lead or something?

You know, like with kryptonite.

You guys can tell you are dealing with an expert here.

Daedalus Mugged
Daedalus Mugged's picture
Hat Tips: 848
I don't think there is a way...

I don't think there is a way to fool the metal detector.  Probably better to fool (frustrate) the operator.  Bury your stash deep, but as you fill the whole in, keep adding junk metal above it as well as decoy holes with junk around it.  So every time the detector detects, he digs and finds garbage.  If he pulls garbage out, sweeps the hole again, detects more metal, digs, and pulls out more garbage. 

That should protect the stash from anyone poking around.  It couldn't stop someone who knew for a fact there was a stash there somewhere, but that is an intelligence failure.  If someone knows there is a stash, and has time, there is nothing that can fool proof stop them.  

JoeyJoeJoe
JoeyJoeJoe's picture
Hat Tips: 682
hmm...

That seems like an extremely difficult (and cumbersome) task to do (to me at least anyway).  

I think if you were to attempt to hide it, dig deep, and as previously statement, throwing scrap metal everywhere lol.  Alternatively, you could put you metals up like say in the attic (hope you're not living in a hurricane / tornado area!).  

Maybe a better way to keep it safe is just to pretend you're sheep and believe in the USD and Obummer - yeah pretty sure this is the best option haha... gold?  Who the hell wants gold?  USD FTW! ;)

Argent
Argent's picture
Hat Tips: 442
Make sure your PM,s are

Make sure your PM,s are buried at least 1 metre deep,backfill the hole with any kind of hot rocks,ie Ironstone or similar with plenty of ferrous Iron mixed in.This will destroy any accurate signal from a metal detector.

Destroying the Country to save the Banks.

HiHo Silver
HiHo Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 80
I have a run of buried

I have a run of buried electrical conduit from house to garage here.  I'm thinking of burying some under it(its shallow).  Or put something damn heavy on top of the area, a beater car, old iron stove, etc.  There needs to be some large obstacle. Perhaps along the house foundation where construction trash is usually found under the surface.

Whatever the barrier, I think the more natural or unmovable would to be better than hoping someone won't just start digging until they are satisfied. Ground penetrating radar can "see" if ground has been disturbed, like dug up.  So there are always hazards. offsite in a  woods or park is another option.

NCdirtdigger
NCdirtdigger's picture
Hat Tips: 85
Headstone

Bury it in plain site, in a 4'x8' hole, under a headstone which reads - "here lies an unknown prospector who got too nosey".  :0

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Hog or Chicken Wire

Just lay hog wire or chicken wire about a foot under the dirt over your whole backyard and bury your stash a couple feet deeper.  Cut the wire where you dig your holes but bend it back in place and cover.

Just don't forget where you buried it.

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
they key I think is depth

I don't know to what depth a metal detector will go, probably depends on the quality of the metal detector itself. I have regular access to a backhoe so 10ft is pretty easy.

Here is a trick I'd like to share, though I haven't done it myself. If you are planning on not having access to the stash anyway for a number of years, bury your monster box or whatever about 4 feet in and then plant a tree over it. Within a few years you will have to cut the tree down to get in there, and its harder to run a metal detector over it at all.

Have you ever seen a tree that absorbed or grew into a fence or barbed wire? Those things are pretty cool. Imagine now your monster box absorbed by the root system of a tree underground.

Some trees grow faster than others, depending on your area and climate, the best tree for fastest growth could be a digger pine or a willow. My personal favorite (and again I haven't actually done this yet) Is called ailanthus altissima, also known as tree of heaven or ghetto palm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ailanthus_altissima

Its the fastest growing tree I know of, 5-10 feet of growth in a year is common under good conditions. Its native to china and very drought and cold resistant.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "How to make a buried stash undetectable to a metal detector"