Helca

56 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jdawg
Jdawg's picture
Hat Tips: 1000
Helca

I expect Helca Mining to shine during the 4th quarter of this year and the 1st of next year.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:10

Surviving and Thriving Like A Junk Yard Dog. If you back a junk yard dog in a corner, he knows only one thing to do - COME OUT FIGHTING

Clubfoolish
Clubfoolish's picture
Hat Tips: 777
Hecla

HL = Hecla Mining

I expect HL to shine near continuously now that the EPA litigation consent decree has been filed (and the penalty payments already accounted for in the 1st quarter already past).   Lots of shorts to be covering in the coming weeks and months.

Their free cash flow is astounding (over 33% conversion rate from revenues), and their cost of silver out of the ground is incredibly low (2nd lowest anywhere on earth, I believe).

disclosure:  I own a lot of it.

"Buy PMs, in multiple forms, on dips, and hold"

Since 2008, until after TSHTF ???

SSK
SSK's picture
Hat Tips: 4199
HL summed up by long time investor

HL is a real tough bastard. You will go insane investing in it. But it can make you some serious fiat. For starters, it has the lowest cost silver mines in North America. In fact, with base metal byproducts (lead and zinc) they have negative mining prices for silver. Mines are at Lucky Friday in Idaho and Greens Creek in Alaska. The latter mine nearly bankrupted the company. HL bought Green's Creek for a high price and financing its purchase was (along with the crash of 2008) responsible for HL falling to a buck in '08. But the financing is wrapped up. And Green's Creek should be a constant revenue source as well as a never-ending source of new silver.  So you have two  mines located in the good ol' USA. 

HL problem has always been its management. Take the recent settlement with the EPA. HL had years YEARS to settle this environmental disaster. They had numerous friendly Republican administrations to cut a deal with. CDE, for example, settled the same complaint fifteen or so years ago. Instead, HL chose to settle with the most liberal administration since Jimmy Carter. Apparently in Idaho, they actually believed John McCain was soaring toward a glorious victory! HL's CEO Baker was forced to settle with the Obama EPA for 263  million. Now that's a lot of silver eagles.  Furthermore, HL's insiders/management routinely dump the stock, take a ridiculous preferred dividend and routinely say stupid things about the future price of silver.

In the last six months, HL has blown the EPA settlement, postponed their earnings announcement like a two-bit Chinese penny stock and had a mine explosion in their Lucky Friday mine (killing one miner).   With management like this, no wonder there are 24.9 millions shares short the company with 9% of the float and 3 days to cover.  HL simply has a chronic, unending, controlling short side that acts like a boot on the company's throat.

Personally, I find management's most gross malfeasance to be its failure to speak out against the manipulative forces of its shares and of the metal it mines. Baker, as far as I know, has never railed against the EE that for years has shorted its company's stock. Not one peep.

HL was my largest portfolio holding for over a year. I had more than 20,000 shares. Today, I have less than five thousand. EXK, SLW and the littler guys like GPL and JAG have proven more attractive investments. The reason is simple, the great mines withstanding, HL management never ceases to screw up and screw over their shareholders.

I will buy HL in a heartbeat. At seven bucks, it is undervalued. Today, at 7.29, you have to be vigilant;  if HL drops below 7.20 the HL shorts will take it to 7.00 and if 7 fails, to 6.79.  The short interest sends it children to college, stocks its wine cellars with super Tuscans, and drives BMW's off the small retail HL investor throwing in the towel and selling, exasperated, with huge losses.  In sum, HL is a silver miner for sado-masochists.

bilbert
bilbert's picture
Hat Tips: 92
HL

Hey CF - you beat me here!!  To everyone else, I own a shitload of HL, and if you don't understand HL, it WILL drive you nuts.

My successful strategy is to buy on dips, and HOLD. 

At $7.30 HL is a screaming buy - no debt, legal problems resolved, nothing but blue sky here.

Buy it at $7.30 with confidence, and wait 18 months - you will be richly rewarded.  In other words:  Treat HL like your Physical Silver - stash it away, and hold it tight. 

DON'T, however, look at the day-to-day and week-to-week fluctuations!!  The stock is heavily manipulated, with a LOT of short shares outstanding.  Basically, there is now no place for the shorts to go - they won't be able to push  physical Silver under $30 an oz, and HL is a stone Cash Cow at that level.

I expect a good amount of "sideways action" up till August or so, but feel come December we'll be looking at $12+ per share.

GLTA!

B

Fighting Gael
Fighting Gael's picture
Hat Tips: 546
hecla bad cross ...more downside

hecla, paas have had the muy bearish 50 day moving avg cross the 200, and that does nor bode well for holders, but does for those wanting to add or build new positions.....waitin patiently for under 6

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
And don't read the Yahoo!

And don't read the Yahoo! Message board for Hecla everyday. Wow. Lots of negative nellies over there. LOL.

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Zwipped
Zwipped's picture
Hat Tips: 381
HL

I don't have any shares anymore, but I would like to buy at this price.

I do have some call options strike 12.5 jan 2013 left. Sure hope they will not expire worthless.

I earned some money on my previous options, but this sure is a stock that can drive one nuts.

I like to see a run again in the fourth quarter like last year. Maybe I buy some option jan 2012 strike 7.5 if the shorts get it even lower then it is today.

Jdawg
Jdawg's picture
Positive Move by Helca

Helca is maintaining it position.  We are at the bottom for Helca.  Watch the move to 9

Surviving and Thriving Like A Junk Yard Dog. If you back a junk yard dog in a corner, he knows only one thing to do - COME OUT FIGHTING

Jdawg
Jdawg's picture
HL - Fantastic Day

Back the train up

SSK
SSK's picture
How to trade HL

So today, HL isn't invited to the party. So you gotta buy. I may maunder here for a couple days underperforming. But sure enough, it will pop and find itself on the Kitco best performer miner list. That's when you sell. Holding anything more than a core position of HL is dumb. Not with its tendency to sleep through big days and pop suddenly on others. I justy bought today at 8.13.  Now I'll just sit back and wait for the 20-40 cent pop.

SSK

Jdawg
Jdawg's picture
Helca Earning

Earning will be released August 5 2011

SSK
SSK's picture
Earnings tomorrow

HL reports tomorrow. You have to, by default, expect HL to miss or meet. THey never beat. GOing forward, they should show increased production (which they probably won't meet). At 7.20 a share, any miss is pretty much built-in at this point.  Do I buy in anticipation? Yes, but just a nibble or two.

Only one event can really take HL back the double digits: a dividend. Were that to happen, I would kiss Baker on the cheek.

SSK
SSK's picture
ANd they miss. BY three

ANd they miss. BY three cents. This is the worst run mining company in the business. HL was a $12 stock in 2008. Today, a symbolic 6.66.

They missed revs. They missed production. They increased cost per ounce. They hedged the base metals to the wrong side. They saw labor costs rise-- and I want to puke just typing this--due to "higher labor costs due primarily to higher fringe benefits costs."

Fringe benefit costs? What, are they flying in hookers to Green's Creek? Is Bono playing for the guys in Idaho?  Fringe benefits during one of the worst bouts of unemployment since the Depression. Fringe benefits? Fringe fucking benefits for a company that misses earnings repeatedly and just settled a bazillion dollar settlement with the EPA (when they could have settled decades ago like CDE under the first fucking Bush administration).

Fringe benefits?

HL has gone from my number one holding to a sliver in the portfolio. I now short it more than hold long. To call it a green, gelatinous, oozing turd is an insult to our dear leader here.

Until shareholder scream out for Baker's head, nothing changes. I will increase my shorts at every opportunity. What a piece of shit.

End of rant.

Jdawg
Jdawg's picture
What Is Going on With HL

Up 6.48%.  Expecting a double by December and triple by March 2012

¤
¤'s picture
Hat Tips: 92321
Lots of short pressure ...

...is my understanding on HL. Look for it to rocket if the whole EE manipulation thing starts to come apart.

HL should be about $15-20 imo easily with silver at these prices.

An epic lack of foresight, accuracy and humility over 3 1/2 years ago. Once a pumper, always a pumper!
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/comment/170246#comment-170246

zman
zman's picture
Hat Tips: 4039
People hate HL because the

People hate HL because the stock has not performed, but if one crunches the numbers here with 43oz silver, this stock is a gift here. I did not get mad, I bought OTM Jan. call options. 

The person who said they were going to short HL now, good luck with that plan, don't let your emotions rule your investments, HL is going so much higher, higher than most think is my bet.

Grigeo
Grigeo's picture
Hat Tips: 1575
Baker

From Aug. 15 through 17, Hecla President and Chief Executive Phillips S. Baker Jr. bought 33,000 shares for $242,880, an average of $7.36 each.

The world has become a very strange place indeed.  Apparently cash is also a position, and Baker just chose to reduce his exposure to that position.

turnoffthewater
turnoffthewater's picture
Hat Tips: 499
Baker JPM

I held a position with HL a few years back until it started to decline this last year and Baker sold some of his shares.  I have since returned to HL and taken a position since Baker bought recently. I do expect HL's share price to benefit from the autumn buying season.

There was a meeting with JPM and Baker late last year. Does anyone have any idea or heard any useful info on the outcome. TIA

Turn

BTW - I also own SVM the lowest cost producer followed by HL in the industry

Jdawg
Jdawg's picture
Helca Dividend Payment

Legendary silver producer Hecla Mining (NYSE: HL ) this week joined major gold producer Newmont Mining (NYSE: NEM ) as the second miner thus far to peg future dividend payments to realized metal prices.

mouser
mouser's picture
Hat Tips: 5116
I hope a growing trend

Good on Hecla, i was hoping SVM and a few others would instill a silver based dividend, so investors can enjoy the increase in the metal value . And  fight the shorts of course.

Here's to hoping this becomes a trend.

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
Indeed mouser. This makes me

Indeed mouser. This makes me so pumped now. cheeky

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Helca"