Hat Tips

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
Hat Tips

Not 100% certain about this, but it appears that you can give yourself hat tips! I hovered my mouse over the little yellow hat in one of my own posts but I didn't click the hat. The hat 'wiggled' as if it would allow me to click to give myself a hat tip if I'd wanted to.

If you can give yourself hat tips that will skew the accuracy of the feedback from the community. ..Maybe disable the ability to give hat tips to one's own posts?

LOVE the site and it looks beautiful!

xaritas
xaritas's picture
Hat Tips: 1357
Shhhhhh!

The first rule of self hat tipping is, we don't talk about the self hat tipping. I notified the admins yesterday. Yeah, I tested this, so one of my hat tips is fake, don't hate me.

ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
Lol. Sorry xaritas. ...Didn't

Lol. Sorry xaritas. ...Didn't mean to 'spill the beans'. Just thought I should make note of it and let admin know. I should have done it more discreetly like you did. .....Maybe admin can see who is giving themselves self-hat tips and take them away. :D

I don't hate you for your fake hat tip. lol.........But I do wonder how many fakers there are out there now. "/

xaritas
xaritas's picture
Hat Tips: 1357
No change

The admin in another thread says this behavior isn't going to be changed, so... carry on.

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
I'll give you a hat tip

xaritas wrote:

The admin in another thread says this behavior isn't going to be changed, so... carry on.

I'll give you a hat tip for your helpfulness to others.  ;-)  No one can give themselves more than one hat tip on a post, and eventually the cream will rise to the top anyway.  Valuable contributions and content will be hat tipped by many.

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

jlee2027
jlee2027's picture
Hat Tips: 1286
test

test

lostinspace
lostinspace's picture
Hat Tips: 2386
Nobodys Business

Its nobody's business what I do with my own hat in the privacy of my own home.

smiley

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
Not that I care but why have

Not that I care but why have I lost 15 hat tips today? This morning I had 1300 and now 1285.

admin
admin's picture
SilverTree wrote:Not that I

SilverTree wrote:
Not that I care but why have I lost 15 hat tips today? This morning I had 1300 and now 1285.

You have not "lost" any hat tips.  The title of the sidebar block is "This Month's Leaderboard".  Therefore you will only see hat tips accumulated in the last 30 days.

Your forum posts show total accumulated hat tips, which for you is currently displayed as 1488.

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
Thanks, you rock!

Thanks, you rock!

Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
Hat tip averages

Not sure how far this will fly, but it seems to me that just counting hat-tips is not necessarily an accurate way to determine the worth of somebody's posts.

Some members are afflicted with keyboard diarrhea and post many many times a day, not saying much of any importance, but garnering lots of hat tips.

There are other members that seldom post, but when they do, it's worth reading.

If you ask me, somebody who constantly gets a LOT of hat-tips when they infrequently post is probably more worthwhile than somebody who runs off scads of posts every day getting one or two tips per post 'cause they like to add funny cat pictures or other images to their messages.

So wouldn't a average of tips/post be more useful than a simple total of tips per month?  Somebody that maybe posts only once or twice a week, but each time gets 25-30 tips would have a much higher tips per post average than somebody who posts several times a day getting a few tips each time.

Just my 2¢ worth.

admin
admin's picture
Mudsharkbytes, thanks for

Mudsharkbytes, thanks for your thoughts.  If you search through the other hat tip threads in this forum you'll find similar ideas expressed by others.  Also some members have said if we focus on tips per post we would lose the spontaneity of conversations.  Would some members decide to withhold comments because they feel a simple comment will negatively impact their tips per post?  Not sure, maybe.

For the most part we like how things work now.  Hat tips are not meant to be an 'end-all-be-all' rating system, they are just a guide.  The key is what the community finds of value... therefore if a member receives a lot of hat tips because he made a bunch of people laugh through an otherwise dreary workday, then so be it.  "Value" can be defined in many ways by many people -- what I find of "value" may not be the same as others, but each of us has the ability to review everyone's posts and determine what we consider to be valuable.

We have said before that there is merit in a tips per post rating, and we have it on the list of potential future enhancements.  However if it is eventually implemented I think it would be in addition to what we have now, not as a replacement.

Thanks again.

mongo1982
mongo1982's picture
Hat Tips: 122
Hat tips

Apologies if it's been suggested previously...

How about a 'negative' hat tip? In that sense the the post was complete shite...

admin
admin's picture
mongo1982 wrote: Apologies if

mongo1982 wrote:

Apologies if it's been suggested previously...

How about a 'negative' hat tip? In that sense the the post was complete shite...

Turd specifically wanted positive, no negative.  Let's focus on the good stuff and not fight about we don't like.  ;-)

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 17163
@admin

I mentioned this a while back probably in the wrong forum. Not that I go by hat tips, but would like to see a posters hat tip totals on the Main Street thread. Unless you are in a forum you don't see the information.

I recognize many posters from the old blog and since the beginning of TFM.com. But as the community grows, more new names will sprout up, Unfortunately at times, I don't have hours to catch up (chasing the damn fiat in order to buy metals and miners). It would be a help for the unfamiliar posters.

admin
admin's picture
As I mentioned on the main

As I mentioned on the main blog thread and wanted to add here for reference, we just updated the Last Month's Leaderboard on the home page.  In the past few weeks we started looking more closely at the calculation, and realized it was not working correctly.  We have updated the functionality and it now accurately reflects our hat tip tracking.

mouser
mouser's picture
Hat Tips: 5116
Bit confused

How exactly does the leaderboard work? is it only on hat tips earned from replies to Turd's comments?

murphy
murphy's picture
Hat Tips: 17163
@Mouser

As far as I know all hat tips are included from all forums. The leaderboard should be the present month only

ReachWest
ReachWest's picture
Hat Tips: 11861
Unregistered Hat Tippers

I'm sure you are aware of this - and - there is probably a good reason why it's set up this way, but I noticed that unregistered (not logged in) users can add Hat Tips to posts.

I discovered this when I did some browsing of the blog on my iPad and was not logged in. This would conceivably allow users who are not logged in to Hat Tip the same post more than once (from different devices).

Just FYI.

admin
admin's picture
ReachWest wrote: I'm sure you

ReachWest wrote:

I'm sure you are aware of this - and - there is probably a good reason why it's set up this way, but I noticed that unregistered (not logged in) users can add Hat Tips to posts.

I discovered this when I did some browsing of the blog on my iPad and was not logged in. This would conceivably allow users who are not logged in to Hat Tip the same post more than once (from different devices).

Just FYI.

ReachWest, yes we're aware of this.  It was designed this way.  Turd wanted to allow those who are not yet members to have an opportunity to participate.  There are ways for every system to be abused if people choose to do so.  As we've said before, the hat tips are merely a way for people see where attention is being focused. It is up to the reader to determine what he or she most values from the site.  Thanks.

Gil
Gil's picture
Hat Tips: 1175
Hat Tip Analysis

There's been some sparse chatter about hat tips on the main board lately, some of it possibly rooted in envy and some of it borderline obsessive. I was looking at the hat tip leaderboard for the month and thought I might want to know just how efficient the leaders were in terms of generating those badass hat tip numbers, so I calculated the hat-tip-to-post ratio (HT:P).

In case anyone other than me was wondering who the most efficient generators of hat tips might be, I'll spill. I was forced to disqualify the overall efficiency leader because of a low total volume (only 294 posts) and besides, I suspect that he may have become a victim of hat tip obsession complex (an affliction whereby one-time darlings of Turdville hat tippers rocket up the leaderboard only to become unwitting casualties of ego, envy and self-immolation). No, we don't need to go there.

According to my analysis, the efficiency leader is ScottJ with a very impressive HT:P of 11.38. Next comes atlee with a HT:P of 9.76, who is probably the most efficient overall if you compare the number of hat tips to the total number of characters used in all posts. You two guys kick ass!

The next nearest HT:P values are in the 6.00 - 6.60 range for Turdites with at least 300-400 posts. I can't overlook Eric O. (he's impossible to overlook), who deserves special mention because even though he has posted a total of 2,015 times on a very wide range of topics, he has maintained a HT:P of 6.57. Very stud-like numbers, Eric. TomL also deserves special mention because even though he struggles in the HT:P category (only 3.75), his posts on the main board are beautiful in their efficiency and timing. How would many of us know what was happening if not for TomL's running updates of news and changing market conditions? And he does all that while herding goats and making cheese and yogurt. Unbelievable stuff!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Hat Tips"