Graphics Overwhelming Content

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kiwi
Kiwi's picture
Hat Tips: 240
Graphics Overwhelming Content

I love tons of stuff about the new site, but I'm finding it impossible to "skim" the home page comments or the forum topic info.... I know different folks have different styles, but I like to just scroll through solid text until I find stuff that interests me.

The graphics, comment boxes, etc. are real pretty, but sorting through it just to get to the nuggets of useful info is going to wear me out, I'm already hesitating to flip through page after page of comments.

Honestly, a bare bones approach like ZH uses works for me... the comments are often awful there, but the format makes it easy to scroll right past, and it shows the poster name so I know who I'm reading the comment from.

So if I had a vote, I'd vote for nice graphics in the forum selection area, but once you get to the actual comments and replies text make it as content-dense and graphics light as possible.

Just my .02

wackzingo
wackzingo's picture
Hat Tips: 443
I have to agree with Kiwi on

I have to agree with Kiwi on this.

TerrorTed
TerrorTed's picture
Hat Tips: 202
Agreed

Agreed.

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Hat Tips: 9983
Designer comments

Hi all! Site designer here! Just a few comments (real quick) - 

Whenever you design a website, you can rest assured that you will never make everyone happy. The colors on this site are a bit bold but designed to express the whimsical nature of "Turd Feruson" (and colors are actually gold, silver and copper). 

I actually think Zero Hedge is a good example of how little pretty design can mean to a successful website. However, we do need to distinguish the site from ZH and that stark look and feel simply doesn't "express" the nature of this site very well. (However, I am a bit biased - and I like color!)

Two things real quick - one, we could potentially make the Google ads "text only," however, that may reduce the ad revenue Turd gets from them. Turd doesn't want this to be a site where users have to pay to be a member, so ads are what funds it. It's certainly something to consider, however.

Second, it is possible to create a monochromatic theme that could be selected by users in their profile, but that would be additional work. If you're really gung-ho on it and want to fund that type of theme, there's a donate button on the right. :-)

We are certainly taking feedback and making adjustments. Also, sometimes it just takes getting used to something new, and then you probably won't even notice the graphics that much, the more you use the site. Given that the original site had bright, multi-colored books lining the background, this site is in some ways more simplified but it may just take some getting used to. 

And if you just don't like it, that's OK. We all have different tastes. Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you!
Stephanie

xaritas
xaritas's picture
Hat Tips: 1357
Comment whitespace

Are the four empty <P> </P> tags after each comment intentional? I think that just getting rid of those would help to tighten it up a little bit.

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Text editor

xaritas wrote:

Are the four empty <P> </P> tags after each comment intentional? I think that just getting rid of those would help to tighten it up a little bit.

The text editor seems to like to add extra P tags. It shouldn't be adding 4 extra ones at the end though - will look into it, but it may just depend on how people are using the editor. Unfortunately, I've noticed this with these types of editors on other forums - if you aren't careful, it will add extra space at the bottom. If you notice that a certain behavior seems to trigger extra P tags do let us know.

FYI, I'm also looking at whether or not changing the spacing between paragraphs works better. I'm not that old (yet) but I am starting to need bifocals (argghh!!) so having a little extra white space helps me read things better personally. Definitely want to find a balance because we've also had comments from people who said they like the white space. Trying to find the right balance is the challenge! 

wackzingo
wackzingo's picture
Hat Tips: 443
To clarify, I have no issues

To clarify, I have no issues with the ads. I also have no problem with the forums. The problem is the comments don't have enough distinction between posts to make skimming and/or following conversations easy. There is too much space between and around comments. A simple fix the might help is to adjusts the padding and alternate the background color on ever other comment.

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Comment white space

wackzingo wrote:
To clarify, I have no issues with the ads. I also have no problem with the forums. The problem is the comments don't have enough distinction between posts to make skimming and/or following conversations easy. There is too much space between and around comments. A simple fix the might help is to adjusts the padding and alternate the background color on ever other comment.

I've already been looking at this, thanks for the input. When designing the site we put test comments in but it's really hard to get a sense of how it will really look until things fill up with real people. Thanks again! 

snoochieboochies
snoochieboochies's picture
Hat Tips: 160
Hey Stephanie, i have to say

Hey Stephanie, i have to say that i'm impressed with the new site and it's probably come at the right time. I know that the bright yellow isn't everyone's cup of tea but the colour palette for the site is pretty good and everything seems to flow together nicely. Just my opinion! I think it's a huge testament to Turd that he's managed to build up enough of a following on a blog within 6 months to launch a website off the back of it. And the Hat Tipping is great, that's a really neat feature.

I'm a noob, please don't take anything i say as trading advice!!

stephanie
stephanie's picture
Thank you!

Thank you snoochieboochies (great username!) :-) - as you can imagine, trying to come up with a color scheme that matches a goofy yellow hat and says "precious metals" - and be somewhat fun!! - has been a challenge. But of course we had to use the big yellow foam hat in the logo. :-)

PS I have adjusted the spacing in the comments - compressed it somewhat. Will continue to tweak things here and there.

Kiwi
Kiwi's picture
Hat Tips: 240
After Some Experience....

.....I'm coming to like the site better.

For me, what's working is to look at the forums in the evening when I'm more relaxed, and just scan the front page comments during the day- I tend to bounce between 4 or 5 websites during the day (as well as do my job), and I'm trying to "get in, see what's new, and get out", as quickly as possible, so I can then check on my current losing trade....surprise

So I still would like a more "stark" front page and front page commentary, so I can skim all of the comments for the latest tips and news affecting that days trading.

Thanks!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Graphics Overwhelming Content"