The GOP nominee

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
The GOP nominee

I have put down some serious money on this market. I have a hedge on Romney, Pawlenty and Bachmann, but my pick is Perry. I think he declares soon and then he'll take the Stepford Governor apart. I hope so, anyway. I have several k of tickets for the Olympic games on order, and I have to pay for them somehow!

The betting markets are completely irrational. You can get Pawlenty, Bachmann and Perry for longer odds than Huntsman. Frankly, Turd has more chance of winning the GOP nomination than Huntsman.

Run, Turd, run!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:23
henry
henry's picture
Hat Tips: 1444
Turd  2012

Turd  2012

cris
cris's picture
Hat Tips: 3404
Huntsman

I find it very interesting that you discount Huntsman.

Granted, I lean Democrat, but to me, Huntsman is the only rational Republican in the race.  Heard a Republican strategist mention on the tube today that Huntsman would be the first Repub candidate in a long time who would not make Repubs hold their breath when he debates for fear of saying something incredibly stupid -- remember, not my words!

But Huntsman is intelligent, articulate, telegenic, hot wife, RICH (richer than Romney - important in that he doesn't have to grovel to get financed), has a very strong record as a Governor.  I have a sneaking suspicion that when the entire country gets to hear and see him, he might run away with this thing.

The big knock on him -- that he served under Obama as Ambassador to China -- seems like almost an unAmerican complaint.  Hell, if your President asks you to serve your country, you serve IMHO.  More of a testament to his character than a knock.

Like I said, I'm a Dem, but I would vote for him over Obama actually.  I would think that is the type of candidate the Repubs would want.

btw, where's the best place to lay some cash on him -- he's the winning horse in this race.

UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
Any right wing (and I am

Any right wing (and I am Libertarian for the record) person that even thinks "Romney" should have his head examined. Obama care was fashioned quite a bit after Romney care in Mass. Voting for that guy as a righty would just be laughable. 

Herman Cain thinks the states should have domain over gun control. Apparently he doesn't understand the scope of the constitution. He's out. 

Newt is a RINO.. he's out

Romney.. see above.. he's out

Palin.. like her as a person. I just can't see her as president. I think she's very strong in relations..I just don't think she's presidential caliber

wackzingo
wackzingo's picture
Hat Tips: 443
I'm disappointed Chris

I'm disappointed Chris Christy isn't running frown

My top choices currently is Herman Cain, Michelle Bachmann and Ron Paul but Ron Paul is my last choice. 

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Cris, you're a Democrat.

Cris, you're a Democrat. That's why you like Huntsman. The GOP nomination is not going to be decided by Democrats.

Huntsman is a Mormon. That's a massive negative right from the off. If GOP voters are going to vote for a Mormon it's going to be Romney, not Huntsman.

Hunstman used to be an employee of Obama. GOP voters wake up screaming at the fact that Obama is in the White House. They are not going to be sold on the notion that if a pot-smoking Marxist Kenyan Muslim from Indonesia with a falsified Connecticut social security number calls upon you to serve, that it is your patriotic duty to do so.

Huntsman is a social liberal who'se pro-choice and pro-gay. Frankly, if I really tried I could think of better ways of appealing to the GOP voter base!!!!

For your own protection I am not going to tell you the best place to bet on Huntsman for the win!!!

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
I've had a change of heart

I've had a change of heart about Turd's prospects of launching an exploratory committee. He's too politically inexperienced. What he should do is find some charismatic, telegenic junior senator - a kind of GOP version of Obama, and get on the ticket with him.

I am thinking maybe Scott Brown of Mass.

VOTE BROWN TURD 2012

brad_pitts_bett...
brad_pitts_betterlooking_brother's picture
Hat Tips: 1321
"Cris, you're a Democrat.

"Cris, you're a Democrat. That's why you like Huntsman. The GOP nomination is not going to be decided by Democrats."

are you so sure the last republican nominee wasn't?

cris
cris's picture
with all due respect silvernomics, I am an American first....

And a Democrat second. I think our biggest problem today is the false dichotomy between left and right. It breeds the contempt that is evident all around us.

If we all cannot at least respect the Office of the President, and accept its holder as a fellow American, I am afraid there is little hope of addressing larger problems.

And while I am skeptical of the "cultish" qualities of Mormonism, the Constitution specifically states there should be no religious test for political office.

Hammer
Hammer's picture
Hat Tips: 16200
  Gentleman and Ladies, here

Gentleman and Ladies, here is an interesting tilt on the game of US politics.

"I found a flaw in the model that I perceived is the critical functioning structure that defines how the world works." - Alan Greenspan, October 2008
WTF ! Now you tell us !!!

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Cris, you're confusing legal

Cris, you're confusing legal tests and moral positions with betting probabilities. That's not a winning tactic. You need to examine the quality of your judgment if you think that a bet for Huntsman is a sensible use of your money. Probabilities are not synonymous with personal preferences.

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
I always wanted to call Rush

I always wanted to call Rush Limbaugh and asked him how can it be that CPAC picked Ron Paul the last two years as the winner, yet as a touted conservative he never talks about him; let alone hold Ron Paul's core ideals. I like Rush, I think he's a good man but he doesn't talk about monetary policy much. Its probably because he doesn't know much about it, but I do give him kudos for bringing QE up on occasion in his diatribes since the mainstream has no idea what it is.

I voted for McCain last time around and felt crappy pulling that lever (actually filling in the bubble on the ballot sheet). Point is, as a former republican turned conservative turned conservo-libertarian I don't seen any nominees worth voting for except Paul. I can't fucking believe that Obama is going to be re-elected again. I'm becoming deathly afraid of the future.

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Maybe I will have to eat

Maybe I will have to eat humble pie, since the New Orleans Conference straw poll had Huntsman come in second, after Paul with a landslide.

But it's not a very reliable indicator historically.  Made me confront my opinions, though. Always a good thing to revisit your assumptions. I've got a lot of money on this contest, and Paul and Huntsman are the only two contenders I haven't hedged at all.

I'm not so worried about Paul. He's definitely too cranky to get the nomination, and the electorate is too financially illiterate. It's a shame that the only guy in the economic ballpark is a bad-tempered borderline anti-semite.

As for Huntsman - meh. Will there be an opening for him? I can see the argument that in their desperation the voters might go for a credible candidate with broad appeal. But he's got a lot of things working against him. At this stage in 2008 Huckabee had a 2.4% average, whereas Huntsman has 1.3% now. Huckabee gained traction in Iowa and rose on a wave of Christian conservatism. Where is the significant base that is going to overturn Romney's current 22% lead over his fellow Mormon? I can't see it. The only way I can visualise it is if the conservatives splinter their vote, with maybe Perry AND Palin getting into it, and Romney has a calamity. But even then, Pawlenty and Gingrich can step into the void, as non-Mormons who haven't worked for Obama and who aren't socially liberal.

I'm not losing much sleep over it, but I'll keep an eye on it. I still think this is shaping up to be a two horse race between Romney and Perry, with the latter prevailing and Bachmann the wild card - but much can change.

joe rocker
joe rocker's picture
Hat Tips: 119
Who cares who is nominated or

Who cares who is nominated or elected...as long as they have a D or R by their name...they don't work for you!

SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
if i were a betting man

doesn't matter which talking head the GOP decides on. in order to qualify for the republican nomination in the 21st century you have to believe 1) the condom is a murder weapon 2) tax cuts will solve anything 3) when in doubt, propose a tax cut.  RR And GHWB had the good sense to raise taxes. the present generation doesn't have it.   Michelle Bachmann needs enough delegates to be given a chance to embarrass herself on national TV.  Cain at least is entertaining. Its not too late for Alan Keyes to jump into this.

you can place your bets here:  http://www.intrade.com/v4/home/

The man who sto...
The man who stole a leopard's picture
Hat Tips: 1208
Someone else

If you voted for Obama to prove you're not a racist, please vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot.

SushiSioux
SushiSioux's picture
Hat Tips: 2064
Go Team: But Gingrich has said he’ll continue fighting for the p

But Gingrich has said he’ll continue fighting for the presidency “no matter what it takes.”

cris
cris's picture
Huntsman - the only rational Republican

Just saw an interview w Huntsman on Ardall w Chris Matthews:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/

A number of things struck me:

1 Why is he on Hardball?. I think I know why. New Hampshire is an open registration primary meaning anyone of EITHER party can vote. Since there is no Democratic primary, Democrats (and maybe more importantly Independents) can vote. I think Huntsman is gonna try to come out of nowhere and have a strong showing by attracting these "out of party" voters which he is particularly suited to appeal to.

2. The Repubs HATE Romney. They are really looking for anyone else. And just about everyone has had their time as the anti Romney -- except Huntsman. who is actually the MOST viable Republican in a general election.

3. You think Romney is rich. huntsman is richer. Which means he can be in it for the long haul by self financing.

4. VERY hot wife. never discount that factor.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "The GOP nominee"