Food, health, prepping

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
squib
squib's picture
Hat Tips: 600
Food, health, prepping

Ok, where to start...

I am a scientist and believe I know a bunch about biology and food/metabolism, and certainly other sciences.

When I am discussing this, I am talking about big picture, one can eat a little bit of anything, good or bad, it's fine.

When I see talk of storing foods, MREs and other survival food, I feel I am left out.

Why?

Because I do not eat beans or grains (and very little dairy), maybe 5-10% of my diet. I eat this way and believe this is how humans evolved (you can bring up about how we are taught false info about human history/evolution, I love Jim Marrs), as best as I/we can tell...

Here is a great youtube video in 3 parts that sums up how someone may benefit, this is how/what I eat:

There are some regional/ancestry differences, I would not tell Chinese people to stop eating rice/noodles etc.! I wouldn't tell an eskimo his diet of low fruit/veggies high meat is bad either. But as far as we can tell, humans did not begin to consume grains or dairy until about 10,000 years ago...and so we are not adapted to digesting them. The proof is all around you: women with osteoporosis drinking lots of milk does not help their bones, gas from beans, allergies to gluten, increase of auto-immune diseases in past 20 years, many 'new' gut diseases in the past 20 years (Celiac, Crohn's etc.), peanut allergies, increase of diabetes,  fat people everywhere you look and so much more....

I am lean, with compact muscle, do intense workout 2 times a week, I used to be skinny but fat/bear belly! So I've proven to myself how diet is huge when it comes to your body and health.

Much of the survival prepping and food discussion is on grains and beans, stuff I do not eat. The youtube video only begins to tell you why, there is decent science I urge others to research. I do see some discussion of rabbits and chickens, phew! I will have trouble not eating 2-12 eggs a day and/or chicken if SHTF...If you say that cholesterol is bad, I'm going to ask you to do your research as we won't be able to have a conversation...

MREs: I got some and found that they don't do much for me. Chop suey, hmm, macaroni and some meat sauce. Empty carbs...don't need them, negligible protein. Crackers and peanut butter, hmmm, empty carbs and good fats/protein, but I don't eat legumes (peanuts, beans), they have tons of sticky and mimicking molecules and other 'bad' stuff. M&Ms, ok I had a few. Oatmeal cookie...nice, bad sugars, bad carbs bad fats. There is other junk in MREs, but no fruits or veggies. So sure, you can survive on them. I plan to thrive, I'd rather die than be miserable surviving.

Much talk is about storing grains and beans. If you watch the youtube video I linked, you will begin to see why I don't eat much of them...there is much more, this only scratches the surface, I hope you gain some understanding though.

So I have a dehydrator and plan to dehydrate fruits, veggies...but I need animal proteins...so I am thinking eggs and meats (hoping for something similar to jerky). Does anyone have experience with dehydrating food other than fruits veggies? Please share....

I am learning about raising chics for eggs and meat. Going to the in-laws farm this weekend. They also have pigs, hmmm.

I am also stockpiling protein bars (The best I have found so far, b/c of ingredients, and there is no all natural one I have found yet is Met-rx colossal almond crunch. There is some fructose and cornsyrup, but this one has the least, and tons of different proteins from soy/milk/whey and others. And it has almonds! Eat them everyday). I am also stockpiling protein powder. My choices are Jarrows Muscle Optimeal (b/c it has 3 kinds of proteins, rice/milk/whey, which metabolize at different rates) and whey protein from Dr. Mercola (it is expensive, but seems to be natural, tons of vitamins are added, low sugar)...

I keep reading that hunting for meat will be tough, everyone will be in the forests trying to find game...so I turn to fishing, which I hope to do a bit of. But I'm sure everyone will be as fishing is easier than hunting...

What else, besides beans/grains are folks storing and thinking about for the future?

Would you like to discuss eating like a cave man? Or diet and health in general?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:06
Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
I have a Excalibur 3900

I have a Excalibur 3900 dehydrator and a cheap vacuum packer.

The best thing to dry and pack are nuts and seeds because they're energy dense and will keep for a long time. I soak everything first to neutralize phytic acid and other anti-nutrients, dry them, and pack them up. I typically buy the real raw California almonds 25# at a time and go in on group buys in large bulk orders for cashews, pecans, etc.

I'd also look into making pimmican like the Native Americans made. It's energy intensive but it's extremely energy and nutrient dense. 

I'm not a fan of dehydrating fruits and vegetables. Fruits are typically all water and all you're doing is sucking that and left with fiber and sugar. Not very economical to me. I'd rather ferment and can vegetables - far greater nutritional benefit and way easier. I'd rather eat jars of fermented kraut, beets, carrots, etc...than dried anything else.

It's hard to find quality whey protein. Most of the stuff on the market is secondary protein which comes from the pasteurized cheese industry. It's typically in isolate form and was once heated and ion exchanged to try to pull the damaged proteins out of the solution, thus earning the "non-denatured" label which is misleading. Anything made this way is garbage in my opinion.

Primary whey protien is made from fresh, raw cow's milk and can be in isolate or concentrate form. It's not denatured and contains all the other good "stuff' you get from raw milk: lactoferrin, bovine serum albmin, immunoglobulins, etc. Expect to pay $35-$50 per pound for these products.

My advice is to find a couple solid local farmers and develop a relationship with them. When/if SHTF, you will need each other and small niche communities will form based on these relationships. I've already been involved with groups like this for years, so I know who to go to for what, etc...but many people haven't a clue. A good 65% of my family's core food intake is delivered to our door by local organic farmers and we have a nice garden to supplement. You just don't want to be cut off.

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

RobD
RobD's picture
Hat Tips: 5
Squip, I feel your pain, as I

Squip,

I feel your pain, as I too believe humans evolved eating mostly animal protein. My view is that if our ancestors could not spear it or pick it and eat it without cooking it they did not eat it and we shouldn't ether. I looked at getting powdered eggs or canning meat and we have done some of that but the cost is just too much so I made the decision that to survive we would just have to eat what could be stored economically and in enough quantity. Long story short I have stored enough grains, beans and fat to feed my family for a year.

BlackHawk
BlackHawk's picture
Hat Tips: 3888
Canned Meats

I buy very lean meat and can it in mason jars under pressure (10 psi, processing time is 90 minutes for quarts, 70 minutes for pints). I buy pork loins at $1.99/lb on sale and whole beef rounds at $2.39/lb. Buy meat now, since the price of meat will rise pretty fast next fall/winter. Corn is relatively high priced and many meat growers sold their young stock to avoid feed costs, so the prices are still low if you watch for the deals.

Bobbi
Bobbi's picture
Hat Tips: 712
@Squip re youtube video

I don't see the video and/or link you referenced.  Maybe just me and silly newby oversight?

Bobbi
Bobbi's picture
Hat Tips: 712
@Blackawk re Canned Meats

I also can meats just as you described.  I agree with all said, especially about prices going up because of the corn problems.  I am enjoying stocking up on the pork loins for the same great price you quoted.

Hat tip to you!

ArkieTurdinator
ArkieTurdinator's picture
Hat Tips: 3
The Presumption of Supply and Choice

A discomfort I have with "preps" discussions is the presumption of a returning supply, or put differently, the belief that any hoard is durable or sufficient with the uncertain, increasingly difficult future we face. My own vision of the future is about very deep self-reliance in a community of persons who provide for one another's needs out of necessity. 

I live in such a rural community and I am working furiously toward a renewable food source of my own making. It seems quite conceivable that there will be no store to go to with anything like affordable prices or reliable supply.

I believe we will have to redefine the amount of time we spend on securing our own food. To me any hoard is kicking the can down the road at best. Ultimately it is gone. Then what? 

That is the most unsettling part. As bad as things are getting, these will soon be the good old days. Put another way, are preps about a paradigm shift or just kicking the can down the road? The future looks deeply decentralized to me. I don't see distribution channels working very well. I believe we have entered a self-reinforcing downward spiral to a new order. I think it will look something like 1910 when it stabilizes. 

In my mind the most important prep is getting a clear vision of this emerging future and coming to terms with it emotionally. That will reveal what our preps must be. Perhaps it is much more about developing skill sets and building community than anything else. I believe the mental challenges are the greatest problem. This is going to be a bitch. 

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
You guys all think it is

You guys all think it is going to happen that fast huh?

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
THe video doesn't seem to be

THe video doesn't seem to be working, but it sounds like you are doing sort of a "paleolithic diet" thing.  Good on you!   Tell us more.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
Food Science at squib

If you can't get raw dairy you must employ the art of bone broth for calcium.  I can't say it enough, get NOURISHING TRADITIONS by SALLY FALLON.  Squib you will be blown away by the science in that book, I have used in five research papers so far and my professors can't shut it down, even though it completely defies their reality.  Kinda like the PM's and The Great and Powerful Turd Ferguson defies most Americans reality.

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

lottiedah
lottiedah's picture
Hat Tips: 3917
Weston Price Foundation

http://www.westonaprice.org/

http://www.ppnf.org/catalog/ppnf/price.htm

I can vouch for the diet changes.  Not only does the body feel better, there is more energy and the mind is clear, but the changes in the skin, eyes and hair are remarkable.   Time to return to our roots.

John Law
John Law's picture
Hat Tips: 138
+100

I agree 100%! I have a small hoard of food right now (caned food, etc.) from the grocery store but I plan to use it as just an emergency source of food only if, say, it's the dead of winter and pickings are slim and I haven't caught anything for a couple of days then I will fall back on it. I think it is best to become fully self-sufficient or ,better yet, have a small community that can support one another.

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
Hat Tips: 21
I garden and can, freeze and

I garden and can, freeze and root cellar 95% of my vegetables.  In terms of storage, in 5 gallon pails with the whole mylar thingy, I have a ton of powdered milk, limited amounts of grains and beans, lots of salt, sugar, tea, spices, etc...

For eggs, butter, meat, extra veggies, fruits etc... I buy #10 cans from here: http://beprepared.com/  and:  http://www.shelfreliance.com/

I raise rabbits, and have the potential to raise more than my meat needs for my family, and have a viable source of barter/income from them.  For anyone who hasn't looked into it, you would be amazed at how much meat you can get from one good doe, and how little space it takes up.  The only real downside is the low fat content.

I understand your concerns about diet, and carbs, etc... as we eat in a similar fashion.  Here are my thoughts.  If TSHTF, we may not be able to be so fussy about what we are intended to eat.  We may also be feeding a lot of people we hadn't really planned on.  A few buckets of wheat and beans feeds a lot of unprepared neighbors, costs very little, and if things end up bad enough that you're eating them, you'll be damn glad you bought it.

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
I don't see the video

Bobbi wrote:

I don't see the video and/or link you referenced.  Maybe just me and silly newby oversight?

Fixed link.  Should work now.

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

squib
squib's picture
Hat Tips: 600
Thank you!

Thank you!

abbyfield
abbyfield's picture
Hat Tips: 4
I also eat a Paleo diet. I am

I also eat a Paleo diet. I am celiac (autoimmune allergy to gluten), as are my two daughters. We've been eating only meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, occasional fruit, some dairy, nuts and seeds for about a year now. The difference in how our family feels is remarkable.

Here is a website devoted to the Paleo diet and lifestyle:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

I dehydrate vegetables from my garden and what I buy from farmer's market and stores. I also dehydrate ground beef - 'hamburger rocks'. Here's a link to directions, there are lots online:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/hamburger_rocks.html

I have made pemmican from dried lean beef. I made it four ways - just meat and rendered fat; meat, fat and dried berries; meat, fat, berries and maple syrup; and meat, fat and just syrup, no berries. All of the varieties were great. It wasn't hard to make at all, but rendering the fat can be messy. I want to try bison pemmican too.

For pemmican I used the recipe in Sally Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions, along with what I got from googling pemmican and rendering fat.

Ralph Kramden
Ralph Kramden's picture
Hat Tips: 3
For my first post just wanted

For my first post just wanted to chime in. I certainly agree that a paleo diet is far superior to the grain based/processed junk most of western civilization eats. For myself, after experimenting with several different types of diets over the past 24 years, I decided about 10 years ago that a plant based diet works best for me. So for the past 10 years, I would say 95% of my diet consists of raw veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, and sprouted grains. The other 5% would be come cooked veggies, whole grains, raw milk cheese and the occasional snack such as popcorn. I just found that meat, whether it be wild bison or a Big Mac just didn't digest well. I always felt tired and bloated after eating it. People are always shocked and ask "where do you get your protein?".  I just smile and say plant foods have adequate protein for me. I'm 6 ft tall, 175 lbs and quite well muscled for a 54 year old due mainly to an intense weight training program. I feel great on this diet and haven't had a cold or flu in about 12 years. This is what works for me, though I admit not everyone can give up meat.

Dr Durden
Dr Durden's picture
Hat Tips: 5371
Subject

abbyfield wrote:
I also dehydrate ground beef - 'hamburger rocks'. Here's a link to directions, there are lots online:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/hamburger_rocks.htm

Yowza! How do those taste?

Got GIABO?

"It's called the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." ~George Carlin

Paladex
Paladex's picture
Hat Tips: 2871
Diet & Blood Type

The fact that some of the posters here eat a meat-based diet and others eat a plant-based diet reminds me of the "Eat Right For Your Type" series of books, which propose that certain populations (identified by blood type) are predisposed to metabolize certain types of foods more easily than others.  http://4yourtype.com

So, for example, Type "O" - the oldest blood type - tends to be more well-suited to a paleo diet. This makes sense, because Paleolithic man WAS Type O.

Type "B," the blood type of the nomadic tribes who wandered around, settling the world, evolved to be more versatile, and requires a more balanced, "Mediterranean" diet to stay healthy (this has been my own experience as well).

Type "A" evolved after the agrarian revolution, and is well-suited to a plant-based diet (think of the French or Italians who stay lean and healthy eating massive quantities of bread and pasta).

The point here is that folks are different. There is no one "best" diet for everyone. Understanding that, yes, it makes perfect sense to plan according to what keeps you healthiest.

“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

Daedalus Mugged
Daedalus Mugged's picture
Hat Tips: 851
Paleo

I am just starting to explore a paleo diet.  Settling into it as it were...see how it works for me, as someone who has always struggled with weight.   

That said, I think there will always be a place for grains and legumes in 'preparedness.'  Grains and beans may not be optimal human diet.  As proven over the last ~50 years, it can keep you alive.  If times are really hard (and as bad as things are right now, these are still times of plenty), calories count.  You can bet that the caveman in your video would keep a bucket of wheat berries and a grinder if he could.  He may not be adapted for it, but a loaf of bread a day might keep his family alive through a rough winter.  And there isn't much paleo that you can buy in large quantities, cheap, and in the immortal words of Ronco, 'set it and forget it' the way you can buckets of wheat and beans. 

That said, I think there is some potential for focusing on animal protein supplementation for preparedness.  Rabbits make a lot of sense for especially confined spaces, especially as they can survive on food we can't (grasses).   I know most commercially raised rabbit today lives on pellets, and some a mix of pellets and alfalfa hay.  Does anyone know if it would be feasible for someone in the 'burbs to run a lawn mowing service (with bagging) as a significant source of rabbit feed?  I know you couldn't just introduce it to them without causing the runs, but I wonder if they could get used to it if it were phased in.

Laying hens are probably one of the most cost effective ways of getting a steady supply of protein.  Old hens require a different style of cooking than store bought chicken.  They can be made delicious, but usually require a form of long slow wet cooking to lessen the toughness.   Don't ever try to make nuggets out of a stewing hen. 

Cornish cross birds are amazingly efficient feed conversion growth machines.  But most people are dependent on a steady supply of hatchery chicks.  Has anyone maintained separate flocks of the Cornish White and White Rock parenting with the intention of doing the crossing themselves for on farm meat birds?  I would think that we would lose some, but not all, of the incredible growth, but it might be far more sustainable without external inputs.  Raising meat birds is generally a much larger scale enterprise than keeping a few layers.   

Besides, chickens can be used to get rid of all those buckets of wheat you bought 15 years ago and never used because you were eating paleo. 

abbyfield
abbyfield's picture
Hat Tips: 4
dehydrated meat

Dr Durden wrote:

abbyfield wrote:
I also dehydrate ground beef - 'hamburger rocks'. Here's a link to directions, there are lots online:

http://www.endtimesreport.com/hamburger_rocks.htm

Yowza! How do those taste?

...not bad at all if you throw them in a soup or stew. I make a great soup from broth or water, any mixture of about 10 dehydrated vegetables and cooked meat. Ready in no time, especially if you have the meat cooked or use hamburger rocks. The great thing about using dehydrated vegetables and meat is that you don't even have to use hot water to rehydrate them - any water or other liquid will do.

On another topic - we found out that we were celiac after I carefully packed and sealed almost 70 buckets of wheat, rye, barley, pasta, beans, sugar and salt. I figure we can use the grains and beans to barter or feed other people. Our plan for this year or next is to buy some land or a farm and raise our meat and grow our vegetables. I've been growing food for about 35 years and my husband was raised on a farm so we have the knowledge, or a base of it anyway. I don't know how much people know about celiac disease, but it's not just an allergy to gluten - any amount of gluten actually starts the process of destroying the small intestine. So for myself and my daughters, counting on grains and beans for our protein is just not an option.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Food, health, prepping"