Expatriation and Offshoring Myself

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Daedalus Mugged
Daedalus Mugged's picture
Hat Tips: 851
Expatriation and Offshoring Myself

One of the ways to deal with hard times is to go somewhere that is not having as hard a time.   I am doing my best to be prepared where I am, but one of the things I realize is that sometimes the right answer to a really bad situation is to just leave.  After all, that is how many of our American ancestors came to be here, from the Puritans and Huegenots, to the Irish fleeing the famine, to the Russian middle class in the 1920s, to 1930s and 40's German and Eastern European Jews, to the Vietnamese in the early 70s.  A good number of the Mexican immigrants today trying to escape the narco-chaos that is engulfing Mexico. 

To that end, I am starting to explore what it would take to be prepared to execute on starting over somewhere else.  Starting to think about arranging a second, and possibly third, passport, setting up off shore bank accounts (legally...I will comply with the reporting and tax requirements, not talking about trying to hide money, just having it out of reach of any one jurisdiction).  Perhaps exploring some non-dollar denominated direct investments.  Who here has experience with that? 

One of the websites that is intriguing is Simon Black's Sovereign Man, I figure given the overlap between Turd's and ZH readership, a fair number are familiar with his posts.   His free content is basically a teaser, has anyone used his pay services, especially the video and workbook from his Panama conference?  $1295 (no decimal) is pretty steep, but I am considering it.  Anyone either go in person or get the videos?  How valuable was it to you? 

I haven't done much but think and read about it yet, but I will likely soon start taking some actions as part of my 'Be Prepared for the end of the Great Keynesian Experiment'  Any advice or recommendations?

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:07
Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
Are you familiar with the 5

Are you familiar with the 5 flags theory?  or the enhanced 6 flags theory?

You've seen soveriegnman.com - great site.

Have you seen escapeartist.com or byebyebigbrother.com

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

Daedalus Mugged
Daedalus Mugged's picture
Hat Tips: 851
I am familiar with the 5/6

I am familiar with the 5/6 flags theory.  Unfortunately, I don't really have a business to plant flags with.  I followed a fair number of links around.  I am pretty sure I have seen both sites, but didn't spend a lot of time on either.  If I recall correctly the escape artist site seemed to be hawking georgia real estate or something.  Given your recommendation, I will explore them both further.  Thank you. 

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
No Doubt

Seems like there's always someone trying to sell you something right?  wink

These sites are good for people looking for some "free" information with articles, links, and some decent reference material.  And if you want to purchase more "premium" information, there's that too! 

Good luck!

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
Hat Tips: 3349
6 Flags

Sterling wrote:

Are you familiar with the 5 flags theory?  or the enhanced 6 flags theory?

You've seen soveriegnman.com - great site.

Have you seen escapeartist.com or byebyebigbrother.com

Wow, thanks for posting this stuff guys.  I had never heard of this flag theory before.  I'll probably remain a prol in regards to residence but that's some great info and gets one thinking. Again.  Thought I had all this shit figured out with my silver and lead and then I read about this cat with 3 passports, 2 servers, an offshore corporation and a ratings scale of sexiest cities to get your freak on.

I can't decide if I should grab my bible or passport.

queencatbird
queencatbird's picture
Hat Tips: 22
Sayonara

DM,

If you are seriously considering leaving the good ole US of A, I'd recommend the book by Kathleen Peddicord, "How to Retire Overseas".  She goes through the top ten countries for settling in, places like Thailand, Malaysia, in South America, etc, taps people who've actually done the move, discusses HOW to get in, the pros and cons of those locales, etc.  Wouldn't leave country without reading that.  According to Peddicord, instead of wasting 1200 odd bucks on some guy in Panama (one of her top ten locations by the way), you might be further ahead using that cash to hire pros (or slugging thru it yourself) in the country of choice to get your papers squared away.  And remember, no matter where in the world Americans live, they must file a US Tax return every year - no exceptions.  I chose to escape that requirement - knowing I wouldn't want to live in the US after settling away, and remembering how they finally got Al Capone all those many years ago, I renounced my US citizenship some years back.  Life - simplified.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Expatriation and Offshoring Myself"