EDIT BUTTON!!!!!

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
crashjp
crashjp's picture
Hat Tips: 26
EDIT BUTTON!!!!!

LOL i need a edit button to many errors typing.

In the absence of light, darkness reigns supreme.

admin
admin's picture
Hat Tips: 2964
There are edit buttons for

There are edit buttons for comments, just not for originating forum posts.  A couple of suggestions... use the "preview" button to review your post before you save it.  Second, there is a spellcheck icon you can use for your posts before you save them.  The icon looks like an "ABC" with a checkmark below it.  Hope this helps.

Site Administrator for TF Metals Report

crashjp
crashjp's picture
edit button

We need a button to edit after the the message has been saved not only for errors but also to add things you forgot and so on.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
There is one.  Look undeneath

There is one.  Look undeneath your post.  Only you should be able to see it.  But it's only active for a certain amount of time before the comment is locked down.  Not sure how long.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

admin
admin's picture
Re: There is one. Look undeneath

Eric Original wrote:

There is one.  Look undeneath your post.  Only you should be able to see it.  But it's only active for a certain amount of time before the comment is locked down.  Not sure how long.

1 hour.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
admin: Re: Re: There is one. Look undeneath

I don' think so, because I'm checking back only 9 minutes later and the Edit button under my post above is already gone.  Maybe it disappears as soon as there's another comment?

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

admin
admin's picture
Hmmm it should be there for

Hmmm it should be there for the full hour for each post.  I'll check it out.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Admin re re

Well now I'm checking back 45 mins after my last post, you have a post under it, and my edit button on that one is still there.  Either you fixed it, or something weird happened on the other one.

It's 55 minutes after the one that lost it's edit button.  It's still gone.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
admin

Possibly the edit button disappeared from that one post of mine because your following post was done via "Reply" and then next one wasn't?  Maybe can't edit once someone has replied.

crashjp
crashjp's picture
THERE IS NO EDIT BU TTON ANYWHERE!!!!!!!!!

admin wrote:

Eric Original wrote:

1 hour.

No there is not a EDIT BUTTON anywhere after i make a post instead i get buttons for stuff ill never ever use like the one for the alert mod, but dont have the one button that i need and yet i just found one for this post but there wasnt one for my last post in current events must be a bug.

crashjp
crashjp's picture
Yep its a bug!!

i just checked the current events post that i just made and there was no edit button for that post which was about 2 min old is all with no replys to it thus far so i guess its a bug.

admin
admin's picture
Not a bug.

You are not allowed to edit new forum posts.  You can only edit comments and replies to forum posts.  The topic has been discuss further in this forum area.

Bay
Bay's picture
Hat Tips: 1760
Edit New Forum Posts

I don't understand why the creator of the new forum isn't allowed to edit and add content to the original post. What is posted could be an on going topic with additions. I have one such as this and want to make changes but now I'm stuck.

You also said "The topic has been discuss further in this forum area." It would have been nice if you had included a link right to the area you are referring to as I have scrolled thru and have not seen anything relating to this. I really don't want to click on every post in this section to find it as there are 5 pages worth. How about a little help?

admin
admin's picture
Chin Music wrote: I don't

Chin Music wrote:

I don't understand why the creator of the new forum isn't allowed to edit and add content to the original post. What is posted could be an on going topic with additions. I have one such as this and want to make changes but now I'm stuck.

You also said "The topic has been discuss further in this forum area." It would have been nice if you had included a link right to the area you are referring to as I have scrolled thru and have not seen anything relating to this. I really don't want to click on every post in this section to find it as there are 5 pages worth. How about a little help?

The reason is to ensure intent is not changed.  Once many comments are written on a forum topic, we want to ensure the integrity of the entire thread by not allowing the original meaning to be modified.  It's impossible for us to know if someone is wanting to add something new, or decide to change the entire post.  

The easiest way to handle this is just add a new comment on the thread.  By adding a new comment, people who are following the thread are able to quickly notice that new content is available by scanning through the forum subsections, such as the list here: http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forums/silver

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3056
admin wrote: Chin Music

admin wrote:

Chin Music wrote:

The reason is to ensure intent is not changed.  Once many comments are written on a forum topic, we want to ensure the integrity of the entire thread by not allowing the original meaning to be modified.  It's impossible for us to know if someone is wanting to add something new, or decide to change the entire post.  

The easiest way to handle this is just add a new comment on the thread.  By adding a new comment, people who are following the thread are able to quickly notice that new content is available by scanning through the forum subsections, such as the list here: http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forums/silver

Counterpoint and request: I just started a thread on a topic with the intent of modifying the original post with updates, kind of like a FAQ/guide.  It is expected to grow over time.  If everyone has to wade through the entire thread to get to the relevant resource information, that's very time consuming and cumbersome.  Over time this prevents thread consolidation and will clutter up the board, greatly reducing usability. 

Please consider allowing original forum posts to be edited at any time by the original author, or allow us to send YOU edits for inclusion in those posts.  Most message boards I participate on that involve 'serious' topics let you do this.  As this is not a yahoo financial board or a sports smack talk board I'd consider it one of those serious ones.

Thanks for considering.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
admin wrote:   The reason is

admin wrote:

The reason is to ensure intent is not changed.

Oh dam that's straight gangsta!  ;)  I never heard of that before on a forum but it will surely keep people thinking twice before they post some negative content!

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "EDIT BUTTON!!!!!"