Double Eagle (eric any help?)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
kenklave
kenklave's picture
Hat Tips: 574
Double Eagle (eric any help?)

I am going to get a double eagle because I don't have one and I want one.  Suggestions on where to get one?  I want would rather have one in good condition (not slabbed) so I am a little hesitant to buy online.

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:31
bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596
seen some good deals on eBay.

seen some good deals on eBay.

Compare Silver Prices

pailin
pailin's picture
Hat Tips: 15390
Provident cleaned

If I was buying a Double Eagle today, I'd go here.

To the intelligent man or woman, life appears infinitely mysterious, but the stupid have an answer for everything. -Edward Abbey

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Double Eagle

Yeah, I don't like slabbed ones either.  I want to hold mine, really feel the weight, stack 'em, jingle 'em, etc.  Given my preferences for something I can touch without fearing that I'm hurting the value, I tend to go for the lower grades.  They're cheaper too.

Lowest grade usually is called "Cleaned".  This is sometimes a decent coin that someone took some polish to somewhere along the line.  That takes away all numismatic value and reduces it to pretty much bullion pricing. 

Next up, is usually called somewhere in the "Fine" "Very Fine" or "Extra Fine".  These grades are highly subjective and quite variable.  Quite often these will still be quite nice looking coins, at least to an amateur eye.

All my Double Eagles are  somewhere in the Cleaned-Fine-Very Fine range.  Nothing special but I like them.

Above that would be "AU" or "About Uncirculated".  These are for sure very nice looking coins, but now you start getting into the situation where you really need to keep that coin in it's holder and don't go touching it with your fingers any more than you have to.  If that's fine with you, you are not a jingler, then maybe you want the AU coin.

Your best bet is probably a local coin shop, that way you can see the coin and decide for yourself.

Next up might be ebay, but if you are not really familiar with the coin and not familiar with ebay, then I'd stay away.

About all that's left after that is to order one online and take your chances.  You might try these:

http://www.providentmetals.com/coins/pre-33-gold/20-dbl-eagle.html

http://www.apmex.com/Category/360/Bulk_Pre_1933_US_Gold_Raw.aspx

http://www.golddealer.com/

http://www.cmi-gold-silver.com/specials-gold.php

Happy Hunting!

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
It's a miracle I ever saw

It's a miracle I ever saw your question.  Just happened to catch the corner of my eye in the "Active Forum Topics" sidebar.  Such is the blog these days.... 

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

kenklave
kenklave's picture
Hat Tips: 574
It can be difficult to find

It can be difficult to find things, lots of nooks and crannies here.  Thanks for the response.  I guess I consider you the resident expert in such things.

My biggest problem is that I live in the sticks and it is a LONG drive to the coin shop, I can only go on weekends, must have the cash to buy that day, etc.  It might be two months before I get back and I don't know if I can wait that long.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
RE:

And I don't even get a hat tip for it?  Sheesh!

Just kidding buddy, I don't care.  Good luck on getting a nice coin.  :)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Double Eagle (eric any help?)"