Canadian Bullion Dealers

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
NorthernExposure
NorthernExposure's picture
Hat Tips: 9
Canadian Bullion Dealers

Hello everyone!

I am looking to share and learn from some people as to the Canadian Bullion Dealers that they have dealt with and what your experiences have been with them.

I have dealt with the following;

jandm.com which is a Vancouver, Britsh Columbia based location.  They have a storefront and take phone orders and deliveries as well.  I have found that they do get the mint items, but if it's a hot one, look out, they can sell out really fast.  I have taken mail deliveries from them as well and have got them in good time.  The storefront location also sells jewellery, watches and I think they do repairs on it as well.

Colonial Acres which is based in Kitchener Ontario.  I have won stuff from them on ebay and the nice thing is that they deal in Canadian dollars as well.  When calling them about my transaction, I have found them to be very easy to deal with and arrange for payments and shipping.  Just a note, that they schedule their auctions to end on Thursday evenings.  Their shipping is reasonable but I have not gone to the store location. 

BW Coins (http://www.bwcoin.com/)  This location is in Brampton and run by a bunch of retired guys who want to own a coin store.  Very friendly guys in there, and I find that they have the best prices for supplies (About $4 for a package of 10 of those plastic containers which I find to be the best price).  They will not take deposits for items that may or may not be coming from the mint!

Cachemetals (http://cachemetals.com/store/index.php) is place located near Yonge & Eglinton in Toronto.  They take cash and you can also do wire transfers to their account.  (At the time they were with TD so if you do a wire transfer and you have a TD account there are NO FEES).  Their "exchange rate" that they charge is about 1/2 of 1 percentage point.  They are close to the subway line if you need to get to their store.  If you do decide to buy from them, you will need to speak to Robert as he deals with the bullion sales.  DO check out their website as they have the spot price of silver on it and what they are selling it to you for. 

If you have any other places in Canada, I would love to hear from your experience!  (Both good and bad!) 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:13
sh10
sh10's picture
Hat Tips: 3
Canadian Coin

Canadian Coin & Currency - http://cdncoin.com/aboutus.html

Located in Richmond Hill, Ontario.   Have made 4 purchases from them in the past couple years.   Very friendly and helpful staff.   Prices/premiums are on par with other dealers in the GTA.   Usually have a pretty good selection of bullion.   They are relocating in the next few months to a larger location(10,000 square feet) and are planning on expanding their online store presence.   Definitely recommend them if you are in the area.

ReachWest
ReachWest's picture
Hat Tips: 11861
Try out either Border

Try out either Border Gold or Silver Gold Bull. Good experience with both.

infinite_easing
infinite_easing's picture
Hat Tips: 1691
broadside bullion

has anyone dealt with these folks? They are in New Brunswick and site is http://www.broadsidebullion.ca. I would appreciate any feedback - thanks.

Exergy
Exergy's picture
Hat Tips: 1061
Guildhall Wealth

I have used guildhall wealth management...they are an agent for PMI (precious metals international).  What I like about them is that PMI's accounts are held in the Caymens (tax haven) and the vaulting if you choose that option is in Delaware.  If you want home delivery they will do that as well...they are not the cheapest...but fair.

Guildhall's site: http://www.guildhallwealth.com/

PMI's ACTIVE price quotes on all fabricated product http://www.pmilimited.com/PricingFabricated.aspx

Dyhalto
Dyhalto's picture
Hat Tips: 13
I've been acquiring my

I've been acquiring my physical from Scotia Mocatta :| Am I a fool?

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
GoldDealer.ca

I have dealt with www.golddealer.ca in the past, one neat feature is they let you place a stink bid good for up to 30 days. They hit a stick bid of mine during that whole "flash crash" and it worked out for me pretty well. Their prices are OK, not super great.

Teach
Teach's picture
Hat Tips: 2801
Albern Coins in Calgary

I have bought from Albern Coins in Calgary many times, and sold to them a few as well.  They are knowledgeable and easy to deal with, but do not have much time for chit chat.  They absolutely will not discuss / predict market movements.  Their premiums are in line with Kitco prices, and they will quote a price on the phone and hold to their quote until you get their to pick up.  They have a web site, and do online orders as well.  I must like them as I keep going back.  :-)

NorthernExposure
NorthernExposure's picture
Hat Tips: 9
Their stuff does seem to be a

Their stuff does seem to be a bit more expensive, but what's interesting is that their 1 oz bars and 10 oz bars seem to go for a premium above the price of the Silver Maple Leafs. 

Have you checked out this place?  It is in Welland and it looks like they offer the same prices that are on the mint website but don't know how much they sell the bullion for over spot. 

http://www.coinsunlimited.ca/

ogie ogilthorpe
ogie ogilthorpe's picture
Hat Tips: 8
Coins Unlimited

...stay away from them. Very bad experience. Many other better options.

Starving Artist
Starving Artist's picture
Hat Tips: 10
I posted this in the blog

I posted this in the blog comments today:

Anyone else in Vancouver BC?  Store recommendations for buying bars & coins?  J&M on Broadway & Main looks pretty good, but VBCE downtown on Pender is convenient and right next to my bank.  Prices don't seem much different.  Time for some phyzz.

And got this reply:

VBCE Granville Is where i get/got most of my horde. I've shopped hi and low in the past and most always keep making my purchases at VBCE. Years ago, ebay was great for getting stuff below spot, but not anymore, too much competition out there now. Some of my best scores were had on ebay, including numismatics. ahh the good old days . PS, I've always found J&M to be over priced, as in higher premiums and overly expensive numismatics

Just thought I'd pass along the info.  Seems like there's a couple of options down in the Pender/Hastings area downtown, I live in the West End, and I like to walk around to do my shopping.

infinite_easing
Silver Gold Bull

anyone else have recent experience to share with this store? I have noticed their prices are much higher than other providers, but not clear why that is the case.

infinite_easing
They say you can get some

They say you can get some good information talking to yourself...so here goes: I could not get through to SGB last week so left a message. I got the call back today, wherein the dude said my message had "slipped through the cracks". He defended their prices, which I said were higher than other providers, by noting that other "business models" were unsustainable. SGB ships 10 days after your money is safely tucked away in their very sustainable bank account.

Jrandom
Jrandom's picture
Hat Tips: 28
I have done business with....

Border Gold, which is in Surrey BC, right next to the USA border.  Bought from them twice.  The operate in the USA and Canada. I had no problems.  They have their prices on their website: http://www.bordergold.com/product_rates.php

I have also bought from Gatewest Coin.  They are in Ottawa.  You mainly want to go to them for Silver Maples, which you can get a discount for buying in bulk.  They also have their prices on their website: http://www.gatewestcoin.com/markets.html

Exergy
Exergy's picture
Hat Tips: 1061
Silver Gold Bull and Guildhall

Silver Gold Bull

- try buying something...go to the checkout page...the ONLY additional charge is FREIGHT...which is cheap and  insured. I recently bought OVER 50K in metal for a delivery cost of about $50.00!!!!

Other folks offer a cheaper up front price but ding you a "commission" or "transportation/insurance fee" that can run up to 4%.

Metal arrives via Fedex in an unmarked and un-remarkable box.

You can pay 7 different ways...easiest is to go to RBC or Scotia and simply pay a bill (they listed as a bill payment account).

The three times I called I got a live body which answered all my questions in an unhurried manner.

Their prices are tied to market prices and they hedge your purchase the instant it is locked in by re-buying so they sell out of stock and re-fill what you bought from their suppliers so they don't get pinched in the market by volatility.

Guildhall

They allow u to leverage metal by buying on account.  (financing runs around 7%).  You can maintain as little as 30% equity BUT some or all of your position can be sold if the markets go against youa and you fall to 15%.  Yes the account is in the Caymens and the metal vaulted in Delaware...the only issue is if the US ever confiscates the vault contents.  My thinking is trade on high margin say 50%  or higher and take delivery of the gains in the form of an equity payout in physical form ...yes  they do this all the time. (you pay the fabrication cost only...the diff between the 1000 oz bar or spot price and the desired end form ...see their online price which updates every 15 seconds) 

Downside is that you can only really trade during their business hours (8:30 to 3:30 EST) ...so keep your equity high and buy the dips...sell some strength to gain paid ounces ...or hold it outright and pay the vaulting cost only.

For larger $$$ (above 30K)  consider rare fancy diamonds (they sell those too...non-metalic (think airport metal detector... saleable anywhere in the world because they all come with a GIA certificate...never gone down in price in 30 years of record keeping and tend to appreciate 15% a year on average)

infinite_easing
Broadside Review

Despite not getting any feedback on Broadside Bullion, I decided to test them out. They were very professional, and when I arrived had my metal ready. It went so smoothly I placed a second order on the spot. Since then I recommend them to a friend, who had a similar positive experience. I expect to continue doing business with them in the future.  

stlouis
stlouis's picture
Hat Tips: 1
guildhall wealth

Disagree about using this company - extremely expensive commissions, storage fees and interest rates - small purchases will rack up enormous fees that keep on adding up even when your investment doesn't. Not smart to go leveraged as the volatility of this market, especially silver, can cause your investment to tank and they will liquidate your account. You can lose everything. They don't reveal just how risky leveraged investments are when you open an account. The also minimize just how expensive the fees are but believe me, they add up. Stay away from this company and any other company that deals in leveraged products. If you want the product, go with the physical only.

stlouis
stlouis's picture
Hat Tips: 1
guildhall wealth

Disagree about using this company - extremely expensive commissions, storage fees and interest rates - small purchases will rack up enormous fees that keep on adding up even when your investment doesn't. Not smart to go leveraged as the volatility of this market, especially silver, can cause your investment to tank and they will liquidate your account. You can lose everything. They don't reveal just how risky leveraged investments are when you open an account. The also minimize just how expensive the fees are but believe me, they add up. Stay away from this company and any other company that deals in leveraged products. If you want the product, go with the physical only.

FriedEggs
FriedEggs's picture
Hat Tips: 4978
Canadian Coin & Currency - experience

Canadian Coin & Currency - http://cdncoin.com/aboutus.html

So i was with the gf on Saturday going to go for a drive and to do some shopping. I had some dry powder available and decided to drop by 'Canadian Coin & Currency' in Richmond Hill...

One word - 'holy shit'.lol

We pull into the back where the parking lot and the entrance is off of Yonge Street . I'm wearing my Bruins baseball cap and sunglasses. The sign on the door states, 'Please remove any hats and sunglasses - and ring the bell.' Alrightty then - so i pressed the buzzer while i starred at my gf...

All of a sudden the door opens up like the entrance to the Mines of Moria from LOTR. We are now in the hallway and i can see people inside and activity. Once the 1st door closes, the second door opens into the showroom. I knew i had arrived... their was MILLIONS and MILLIONS of dollars worth of product. Coins and bills, and, bills and coins - holy shit... i was a bit awe struck. They even had AU/AG and other coins and bills encased in glass on the floor! lol. Probably close to a million dollars on the floor!

Everything from the place, staff, product, atmosphere was great - except one teeny tiny small thing...

The price.lol. Over pricedddddd damn it. However, i couldnt resist and still spent $2,000 cash... no id required, no questions asked... I had a good time, but just wish it was cheaper...

Fried(e)

Fighting the GOOD fight on this QUEST for Truth...
The battle is not between right and left; it is between us and 'them.'

FriedEggs
FriedEggs's picture
Hat Tips: 4978
Oh,one last thing

And important...

I asked if they have been selling a lot of physical Au/Ag as of late?

And they said yes - especially Silver.

Fried(e)

Fighting the GOOD fight on this QUEST for Truth...
The battle is not between right and left; it is between us and 'them.'

John Galt
John Galt's picture
Hat Tips: 4906
Toronto area Bullion & Coin Dealers?

Does anyone have any further recommendations for good bullion and coin dealers in the Toronto area?

In the past I have purchased through Scotia Mocatta but grew concerned over the paper trail I was leaving on physical purchases of bullion bars. Delivery via armored car to my local bank branch included bank paperwork that allowed employees with the armored company to see not only what I was buying, but also where I lived.

I was surprised at how flippant Mocatta is with protecting my private information so, obviously, this was not a good plan.

Subsequent to that I dealt direct with Mocatta in downtown Toronto until a curious teller began commenting about how many physical bars I had purchased in the past. These incidents made me realize far too many peons connected to Mocatta have far TMI about me. That said I have since liquidated my Mocatta purchases back to them and moved far away from my old location.

Given the above experiences I am not interested in buying mail order due to paper trail, for obvious reasons.

I have since moved to strictly cash purchases of small physical denominations from places such as Canadian Coin and Currency. I find CC&C to be pricey compared to prices over spot I hear quoted in other parts of North America.  CC&C also jacks their premium over spot on weekends to levels higher than typical weekdays - to cover themselves "just in case". This, at least, was what a manager told me.

Does anyone have suggestions about other dealers in the GTA who have more reasonable premiums over spot?

I am looking mostly for gold and silver MLs. The silver MLs seem fairly easy to come by; the gold MLs less so...at least at CC&C.

Thanks.

"So you think that money is the root of all evil.
Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?"

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Canadian Bullion Dealers"