7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shill
Shill's picture
California Gov. Brown Vetos Budget

California Gov. Brown Vetos Budget
Developing...

UPDATE:

Enter, California on the stage of the global financial crisis.

Democratic Governor Jerry Brown has vetoed the Democratic budget plan approved Wednesday in the Legislature, restarting talks over how to close California's $9.6 billion

http:// http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2011/06/california-gov-brown-vetos-budget.html

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:07

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

Bull
Bull's picture
Hat Tips: 171
Respect

I respect Brown and await developments. At least he's not threatening state employees like that governator asshole. California's broke! Got popcorn?!

Bull

Eternal Student
Eternal Student's picture
Hat Tips: 2162
Just negotiation tactics

Ditto on the respect for Brown. But keep it in perspective. This is just a negotiating ploy which will go on through the end of the month.

The real big question that soap opera fans want to know is whether the Controller is going to stop paying the Legislators. That would be priceless if it happened.

Joerocker
Joerocker's picture
Hat Tips: 3
California Budget Crisis

All Brown and the Sac Crony's want is higher taxes. But we all know if we gave these "lawmakers" our entire paychecks it would never be enough, same illness as the crony's in Washington DC.

Leading the fight to stop any more taxes.  John and Ken Show on LA's KFI am radio. http://www.kfiam640.com/main.html

John and Ken's tax revolt hour, M-F @ 5 oclock

these guys are local heros in so California.

H8Fiat
H8Fiat's picture
Hat Tips: 1149
Paying legislators

It appears that since they did pass a budget, although vetoed, they get to be paid.  With a majority, big surprise

Asswipes

California Lawyer
California Lawyer's picture
Hat Tips: 21685
CA Budget Veto

Not such a big deal. CA voters recently passed an Proposition 25 which supposedly prevented legislators from receiving paychecks unless they passed a budget on time. Notably, many pundits predicted that the legislature would pass a sham budget, that the governor would then veto it, lleaving the state, like usual, without a budget. Only now, because they did technically pass a budget, they can still get paid. Total sham if you ask me.

One more issue to pay attention to is the attempt to shrink the third, co-equal branch of govt: the judiciary. The budget that was vetoed lopped off $150,000,000 from the judiciary. This would have forced closures of the courthouses for two days per month, or slightly more than ten percent of court days. So how does this matter? Simple. If the regular folk can't get court dates for visitation, child custody, small claims, or other routine civil court matters, then people will take justice into their own hands. Anarchy ensues. More crime, equals more need for police and hospital resources, which costs even more out of the govt coffers, which further exacerbates the problem, and so on. The knee jerk solution which the CA legislature always attempts, is to raise taxes, further driving businesses out of the state thereby further reducing revenues. Higher taxes also cause people to turn to cash transactions, further reducing tax revenue to the govt. Vicious cycle, but it is playing out all around me and I see it every day.

What will happen is more of the same old same old. No budget will get done, because there is an insolvable problem of out of control pension costs coupled with a very unfriendly business climate. This means that expenses are up but revenues are down. Simply that. Until either expenses (pensions for state workers) get reduced, or revenues (tax receipts or oil royalties) increase, CA is doomed to failure on the budget issue. California is to the USA like Greece is to the European Union, in many ways, particularly with regard to profligate spending and no ability to live within their means.

I just don't see a workable solution until govt shrinks and the pension system either implodes or CA once again begins to allow off shore drilling.

Just my $0.02.

"To save yourself from all this that has happened and will continue to happen requires commitment and courage. You have it or you do not. Admit who you are and act accordingly."
Jim Sinclair, December 18, 2012.

Violent Rhetoric
Violent Rhetoric's picture
Hat Tips: 475
Well said CA Lawyer. I love

Well said CA Lawyer.

I love to visit California and most of my clients reside there, but I just don't see a workable solution other than extend and pretend.

The spending will continue until there is a crisis.  

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as “bad luck.”
~ Robert Heinlein

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "California Gov. Brown Vetos Budget"