Books that have been helpful?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
Laineyisat
Laineyisat's picture
Hat Tips: 238
Books that have been helpful?

Hey, wanna share the titles of books that you found useful (and a brief description of the contents)?

Thanks!!

chin up! keep prepping!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:07
CYM
CYM's picture
Hat Tips: 1630
In no particular order or

In no particular order or ranking...

Confronting Collapse - Mike Ruppert

Crossing The Rubicon - Mike Ruppert

The Party's Over - Richard Heinberg

The Long Emergency - James Kunstler

Ishmael / The Story of B / My Ismael - Daniel Quinn

Overshoot - William Catton

The Collapse of Complex Societies - Joseph Tainter

The Fourth Turning - Strauss & Howe

The Ascent of Humanity - Charles Eisenstein

Reinventing Collapse - Dmitry Orlov

This is by no means a complete list, but those are the ones that stand out as being very helpful in understanding "what it all means" once one has "taken the red pill".

CYM
CYM's picture
In no particular order or

Double Post... my apologies. (can we get a delete post option Turd?)

Pax Argentum
Pax Argentum's picture
SHTF Library

In no particular order, my top picks...

Boston's Gun Bible - An exhaustive reference manual on small arms employment in defense of hearth, home and the American Way. A must have.

Where there is no Doctor - Title says it all. Practical medical advice when dialing 911 isn't an option.

The Creature from Jekyll Island - All about the fraud that is the Federal Reserve (neither 'federal' nor 'reserve'), how it was conceived, created and how it has been wildly successful in its intended albeit unstated goals.

Boy Scout Handbook - The classic, with practical guidance for wilderness survival, basic first aid, hiking and nature.  Look for one with a copyright date prior to 1970. Also includes some great sections on citizenship and what it used to mean to be an American.

United States Coins Red Book - Definitive reference on US minted coins. Used by collectors but very useful even if you're just a 'junk'er.

Patriots - by JWR. A fictional account of economic collapse and how one group of friends got through it. Fictional, yet you will see many of today's headlines in the first few chapters. Well worth your time and treasure to read.

Pax

stalking wolf
stalking wolf's picture
Hat Tips: 580
Awesome books!

Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon: I'm confident I will never need a dentist again.

Tom Browns Field Survival Guide: I now understand where the garden of Eden really is.

Sacred and herbal healing beers by Stephen Harrod Buhner: if all goes as planned I will easily see my 120th birthday.

"A building's form should follow it's function", Howard Roarke.

Zwipped
Zwipped's picture
Hat Tips: 381
Peter Schiff - Crash Proof

Peter Schiff - Crash Proof --> He explains everything that has happened so far since the crisis (he wrote it before it all happened)

Mike Maloney - Guide to investing in gold & silver --> Explains everything you need to know about PM.

John Mauldon - End Game --> Just started this one (first chapter is about Greece and why they are bankrupt).

Eric_2
Eric_2's picture
Hat Tips: 586
Prepper books

You definitely should check out "Dare to Prepare" by Holly Deyo.  It is basically an encyclopedia of prepper how-tos, from first aid to food to soap making.  (This book has a bit of a religious angle to it, but that is easily ignored if it's not your thing.) 

silversalmon
silversalmon's picture
Hat Tips: 743
Peak Oil Dude

I've read half your list! You're a peak oil dude for sure!!!! Way to go bro. Let's stay in contact. we're few.

Stuff
Stuff's picture
Hat Tips: 38
Books

About a year ago I read a comment on Zero Hedge referring to the book "Patriots". It was a really good fictional book about some of the possibilities of economic and social collapse. Although I was thinking about preper stuff for some time, this book kind of jolted me into actually preparing.

Proverbs 22:3 A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions; the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

Gold Nugget
Gold Nugget's picture
Hat Tips: 434
I would think there would be

I would think there would be books more on investing or trading instead of explaining the financial problems of the world.

‘Nine times out of ten when I see an attractive woman walking down the street, I turn and take another look. Ten times out of ten she does not turn around to check me out.’

CYM
CYM's picture
Financial Books

Gold Nugget wrote:

I would think there would be books more on investing or trading instead of explaining the financial problems of the world.

I've got a list of those too =), but I assumed he was asking about books for "Preparing Accordingly".  Perhaps I was wrong?

Smoke N Mirrors
Smoke N Mirrors's picture
Hat Tips: 8
The Creature from Jekyll

The Creature from Jekyll Island!!    If you want to see the big picture, and how all the little pieces fit together...  Cannot recommend this enough.   If you want to make money you really need to learn what money is, this book explains it, and a lot more...

treefrog
treefrog's picture
Hat Tips: 10390
self sufficiency

grow it

by richard langer

basics of small scale food production  small farming/gardening/livestock/food storage/preservation. 

treefrog land and cattle co.

Don Plata
Don Plata's picture
Hat Tips: 5
Richard Maybury: What Ever

Richard Maybury: What Ever Happened to Penny Candy?, What Ever Happened to Justice?

Henry Hazlitt:  Economics in One Lesson

Ron Paul: Revolution

Barbara Kingsolver: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

http://freestateproject.org//

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
I have read a LOT of books on

I have read a LOT of books on investing and trading.  In that genre I put Jack Schwager's "Market Wizards" series at the absolute top.  They have become my textbooks of sorts.  Investing/trading is a psychological game in my opinion, and his series allows you to look into the minds of many highly successful traders and investors.  They are not how to books; they are more discover who you are books.  Next in line would be Jim Rogers' Investment Biker, and his Adventure Capitalist.

On the "prep" side I would put FerFAL's "Surviving the Economic Collapse" way above anything else out there.  It is a practical book taken directly from his experiences in Argentina.  I do have some of the popular prep books already mentioned, but I think FerFAL's book will prove to be a whole lot more realistic and useful than those TEOTWAWKI books.

Eric_2
Eric_2's picture
I assume you mean "how to"

I assume you mean "how to" survival type books, right?

Another one to check is a DVD called "Backyard Food Production", which shows how to set up a small garden and small livestock (chickens, rabbits, etc) where you don't have a lot of land available.  The DVD also includes a second disc of PDFs and other resources.

Another Must have:  check out survivalebooks.com.  They sell a five disc set which has (literally) about 5,000 PDF documents on survival.  They are basically military documents that cover anything you can think of - survival topics such as escape, evasion, first aid, communication, even weird things like construction, how to repair the engine on your apache helicopter, photography, really anything you can think of.  I tell people to buy these discs and keep them handy, print out a few that are applicable and keep the rest in case the internet ever goes down you should be able to still access the data if you have a rudimentary computer.

(I'm not affiliated with either of these companies!)

Eric #2

Eric_2
Eric_2's picture
One more thing, the "Where

One more thing, the "Where there is no doctor" book series (ie: where there is no dentist, where there is no doctor for women, etc), mentioned earlier in the thread - these books can also be downloaded for free as PDF documents - go to:

http://www.hesperian.org/publications_download.php

Download and print out for free!

Happy prepping.

Eric #2

chinaussiedoll
chinaussiedoll's picture
Hat Tips: 388
Prepping books for the home

The book of Household Management by Isabella Mary Beeton
available for free in iBooks . This is very old but because of that she has basic instructions for cooking and preserving from scratch ( these were pre refrigeration days)
Also any of the Girls Own Annuals from1880 on - these often had articles about raising animals, growing fruit etc
Square Foot Gardening is also good for beginners
Culpeppers Herbal
Any of the Permaculture Books
In short all the books my hippy mother owned in the 70's when we thought she had a screw loose in wanting to be self sufficient . These books are good because they also don,t rely on things such as antibiotics etc that we take for granted as being readily available but may not be in the future.

ColonelCooper
ColonelCooper's picture
Hat Tips: 21
Found on my bookshelves, but

Found on my bookshelves, but also in no particular order:

Balls Complete Book of Home Preseverving

Joy of Pickling

Putting Food By

Everything by Tom Brown Jr.

Patriots, by James Wesley Rawles

How to Survive the End of the World as we Know it, by James Wesley Rawles

Gardening When it Counts, by Steve Solomon

Foxfire, (the first few volumes)

One Second After, by William Forstchen (If this book doesn't open your eyes and scare the shit out of you, I don't know what will)

Root Cellaring: Natural cold storage of fruits and vegetables.

Also: The complete archives from SurvivalBlog 2005-2010 can by bought on CD now.  There is a PRICELESS amount of knowledge here for $20.

Spud
Spud's picture
Hat Tips: 4
Books

Of many I read the first I'd recommend is the Schiff book, got the feeling whilst reading it was virtually the template for ZH.

But for a first hand experience of surviving in a collapse, look no further than this

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Survival-Manual-Surviving-Economic/dp/9870563457

Goofy
Goofy's picture
Hat Tips: 299
The Invisible Crash

Aloha

The best book i have read on this crises was from 1975 and is called:

The Invisible Crash

Its written by James Dines of the dinesletter . Is a long rant on gold and the Frankenstein monster of fiat money inflation.

The second halve of the book includes the gold commentary from the dines letters from the early sixties to 1974 and includes alot of interesting commentary regarding the gold standard, inflation taxation and more.  

In the preface James Dines actually mention the 2008 crash !

His resent book  Goldbug derives from the Indivisible Crash a true classic!

I have not read Goldbug yet but soon will!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Books that have been helpful? "