Best Places to Live for Escaping World Conflict?

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521

http://www.expatify.com/advice/10-best-places-to-live-for-escaping-world-conflict.html

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:07
bernard
bernard's picture
Hat Tips: 2596
It's odd that Canada has such

It's odd that Canada has such a connotation of safety to it, as if nothing bad could happen there...

Compare Silver Prices

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Canada

I grew up in Michigan and have always had a positive connotation of safety twards Canada.

Nigel Black
Nigel Black's picture
Hat Tips: 2101
Even though Canada has its

Even though Canada has its good points (I am Canadian), we have basically become a carbon copy of the USA and it is only a matter of time for the exact same issues to negatively impact Canada that affects our neighbours to the south.  Costa Rica and New Zealand are amazing places (I have lived in both as an expat) and agree with the article's assessment.

Thanks for posting this.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
Switzerland. Hard to beat a

Switzerland.

Hard to beat a country where EVERYONE is armed to the teeth BY LAW.

Beez
Beez's picture
Hat Tips: 472
Close to family and friends

and in a tight knit small community with some good farmland and water source nearby.

Beez

Jasper Puddlemaker
Jasper Puddlemaker's picture
Hat Tips: 1879
Seems pretty much the same to me too.

Nigel Black wrote:

Even though Canada has its good points (I am Canadian), we have basically become a carbon copy of the USA...

It seems like that to me too (apologies to my Canadian in-laws).  We spend quite a bit of time north of the border.  There is a LOT of drug-related crime in the small town where they live.  No worse than where we live, but no better either.  The other mid-size city we frequent is pretty bad also (retired RCMP friend keeps us informed).    The two countries seem/feel pretty much the same to me (at least BC does).

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
I'd have thought Chile and

I'd have thought Chile and Uruguay would be good places to look at.

Panama is quite popular as an escape destination.

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Switzerland roads

I have herd that Switzerland's roads and tunnels (in and out of the country) are "pre-bombed" in the event of  WW.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Vancouver?

Seems I used to read about how Vancouver would be the best bet.  Maybe not so much anymore?  At least not during hockey season maybe. :D

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Plan B
Plan B's picture
Hat Tips: 46
Uruguay

silvernomics wrote:
I'd have thought Chile and Uruguay would be good places to look at.

Not specifically about WW3, but with concerns about the deteriorating situation in the USA, radiation in the northern hemisphere (yes, I've been thinking about this for several years), I looked at Uruguay a couple years ago and moved here six months later.

Articles like this provide entertainment, but remind me of the old story of the wealthy Brit who sought to escape WW2 by building himself a safe haven far away from the gathering storm clouds, and ended up with a lovely little place on Guadalcanal.

If you're thinking about expatriating, simply steering clear of trouble is a good place to start, but I can think of a few other questions to ask. For me, if the shit hits the fan locally, do I want to be a 6'3" pink person among short brown people (multiple; Costa Rica)? Do I want or need good internet (Papua New Guinea, Tuvalu, Seychelles)? Can I afford to live there (Switzerland)? Will they let me stay there (New Zealand, mid-50s and lacking a couple million to invest, no)? Can I adapt culturally and thrive? And oh yeah that there language thing.

And are you going to 'bug out' only when you have to? And won't that be too late?

Just sayin' ...

UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
I'm sticking around for the

I'm sticking around for the fight.. 

Poor Boy
Poor Boy's picture
Hat Tips: 70
The USA

Is the grass really greener somewhere else?

Is it safer somewhere else?

Do you know the land better somewhere else?

Is your chance of survival better somewhere else?

Is the environment better somewhere else?

Do you know someone you can count on somewhere else?

How easy will it be to get there when you decide to leave?

Do you have your Papers?

How's the medical care where you're going?

How are you going to move your Stash and other Special items ?

I know the language and customs here,

I know people here, I also know the people.  Some good some not.

I am confident that many feel as I do.  And I trust my friends them because of what we have  in common. 

We make choices every day, some better than others.  Lets hope that we do better and make the right choices.

UGrev
UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
Ringy-Dingy-Bingo..

Ringy-Dingy-Bingo..

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
The big problem with

The big problem with expatriating as an American is that the government comes after you for taxes for ten years afterwards or something, doesn't it?

Now that's oppressive.

Frankly, I'm amazed the UK hasn't caught up yet.

I'm hoping to expatriate before they do.

Bobbi
Bobbi's picture
Hat Tips: 712
@ PlanB and Poor Boy

Exactly!  The devil you know vs the one ya don't.  Not to mention the cost of expatriating and relocating to a new country and stickin out like a sore thumb.

'Tis why we're stayin here and hopin to ride it out.

beinki
beinki's picture
Hat Tips: 2454
My Choice

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
Ha ha. beinki you are the

Ha ha. beinki you are the best! Love your stuff that gets posted over at Max's site. Thanks for the laughs!

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Bobbi
Bobbi's picture
Hat Tips: 712
@beinki LOL

"Scotty, beam me up!"

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
You can if you want too

Sweet, now that would be the place for a dance party!

humbleprofits
humbleprofits's picture
I wonder if the problem with

I wonder if the problem with this thinking is there really will be no good place to go.  If the US truly collapses, then the rest of the world will probably slide as well.  I have thought about Australia, Canada or maybe a Nordic country.  But I worry that their economies, commodity based, will tank.  Do they then go into civil unrest as well? 

Might be better off just finding a small desolate plot in the mountains or plains and hope you can stay hidden from the panicked masses.  There are many desolate places in Northern Canada as well that are probably suitable to hide in.  Much easier to get to in a pinch than Aus. or Chile...  Just bring plenty of proper gear.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Best Places to Live for Escaping World Conflict?"