Basket Of Miners ..Do You Like?

117 posts / 0 new
Last post
ginger
ginger's picture
Hat Tips: 2799
Basket Of Miners ..Do You Like?

Hey All,

I need some feedback. I want to expand my basket of junior miners. I played musical miners over the past few months switching and swapping things around and I'm looking to add back to some positions and rebuy some that I stupidly stepped out of (Hello Impact!). There is a sale going on and I don't know how much longer the sale will last so I want to be in a position to buy over the next few days/weeks. I am typically a Buy & Hold sort....not the day trading sort....when it comes to my miners so I do want to add to my miners with that attitude in mind. Here are some miners I am considering and have done some DD on. Was wondering if any of you here would care to throw out anything you might know that would prevent you from buying these. All feedback is welcome and maybe it will help others who are doing their DD on some of these. (I currently have a basket of about 15 miners that do NOT include any of these ..I think I'm going to miss out though if I don't add some of these!)

Do You Like/Dislike...& Why?

Rye Patch (RPMGF)

Cream (CRMXF)

Sante Fe (SFEG)

Bullion Monarch (BULM)

Nautilus (NUSMF)

SilverQuest (SQIFF)

Impact (ISVLF)

Golden Predator (GPRXF)

Andover Ventures (AOVTF)

Amerigo Resources (ARREF)

ECU Silver (ECUXF)

Global Minerals (GMLFF)

New Pacific Metals (NUXFF)

Silver Predator (SVROF)

Tarsis (TARSF)

Aurcana Corp (AUNFF)

LexamVG (LEXVF)

Riverstone Resources (RVREF)

Mega Metals (MPRXF)

South American Silver (SOHAF)

Kaminak Gold (KMKGF)

Orko Silver (OKOFF)

Tinka (TKRFF)

Avion Gold (AVGCF)

Northern Tiger (NTGSF)

Crocodile Gold (CROCF)

Wesdome Gold (WDOFF)

Eurasian Minerals (ESMNF)

Meadow Bay Gold (MBYCF)

Avino (ASGMF)

Timmins (TMGOF)

Levon (LVNVF)

Hondo Minerals (HMNC)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feel free to throw out other companies that you like who are not on my list!

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
ginger
ginger's picture
Guess I Should Add...

..the names of the plays that I am currently in so far as juniors.. I have:

Arian Silver (ASLRF)

Camino Minerals (CAMZF)

Canadian Zinc (CZICF)

Fire River Gold (FVGCF)

Silvermex (GGCRF)

Garibaldi Resources (GGIFF)

Great Panther (GPL)

Prodigy Gold (KXLAF)

NWM Mining (NWMMF)

PC Gold (PCGLF)

Rare Earth Metals (RAREF)

Rivett Minerals (RVM)

SilverCrest Mines (SVL)

US Silver (USSIF)

I also want to add some larger cap miners as well ..but for now these I am in and am considering are probably the junior-est of the juniors ...but may also hold the potential for the largest gains if I choose wisely.

Hope this discussion will help us all to choose wisely!

silvernomics
silvernomics's picture
Hat Tips: 1270
I couldn't bring myself to

I couldn't bring myself to invest in Tinka. It may or may pan out, but there's enough other silver juniors out there to make it nonsensical (to my mind) to accept the risk of that leftie loon going on a nationalisation/ mining royalty extortion binge.

Justin
Justin's picture
Hat Tips: 1869
I'll vouch for Cream and say

I'll vouch for Cream and say that it is a good buy right now. I've traded in and out of that one a few times and just bought in again recently when it dipped to .17 as the .15-.18 range has proven to be strong support in the recent past. 

I'm going to have to check out some of your other picks, quite a few names in there are totally new to me and one can never have too many miners on their radar!

Only root karate come from Miyagi. Just like bonsai choose own way grow because root strong, you choose own way do karate same reason. - Mr. Miyagi

Justin
Justin's picture
Hat Tips: 1869
Forgot to say that I am with

Forgot to say that I am with Silvernomics on Tinka. I've had 2 profitable trades with it, last trade I sold in mid-May before the Peruvian elections as I wanted nothing to do with it in case Humala won.  No idea what he plans on doing with miners down there, but I don't see the point in taking on an added risk right now when there are so many other miners out there to choose from.

Only root karate come from Miyagi. Just like bonsai choose own way grow because root strong, you choose own way do karate same reason. - Mr. Miyagi

ginger
ginger's picture
Thanks silvernomics & Magnum

Thanks silvernomics & Magnum ..I genuinely appreciate your thoughts. ...Your warnings about Tinka make sense and I will give it another long hard look before I invest.

Magnum, hope you can find some good additions to your miners from my list! Many were recos from fellow-Turdites over the past months. ..For instance, I believe I picked up the Riverstone & Northern Tiger recommendations from ewc. If I remember correctly he was particularly interested in those and he and others here have been so helpful to me in putting out miners to investigate. Best of luck in filling up your basket! wink

PS...........These are the ugliest set of smilies I have ever seen. LOL. (not complaining..just laughing) ....Maybe an admin can get us a new set. smiley  :)

Clubfoolish
Clubfoolish's picture
Hat Tips: 777
Ginger, I like your list, and

Ginger, I like your list, and have a bunch of USSIF, a goodly amt of CZICF, AUNFF.PK  and RVM, and some GPL.

cool

"Buy PMs, in multiple forms, on dips, and hold"

Since 2008, until after TSHTF ???

jaj64
jaj64's picture
Hat Tips: 115
Aurcana

Aurcana looks like a good buy at this price, heres a video I found on their projects:

I might have to add this one, thanks for pointing it out!

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Wow, that's a big list

On your wanna be list, I own Kaminak, Avino, TImmins, Levon, and um....what's that other one?  Oh yeah, IMPACT Silver!

On your current list I own Great Panther.

I used to own Cream, Camino, Fire River, and Lexam VG.  Nothing really wrong with them, I just got to a point where I had too many and needed to lighten up.  Decided to unload most of my non-producers.

Seeing as how you like mostly these teeny tiny ones, I'm disappointed you don't have my "little pet" miner on your list, Bralorne Gold.  heart

Anytime you want to talk some larger cap golds, shout out.  I've got a few I'm thinking about starting Forum threads on.

I'm still sitting on 20 names.  I said on the blog a week or two ago that I really wanted to cut down the list, but I go over them and over them and so far I can't bring myself to let one go.  Especially at these prices, why be a seller?  If I didn't own any at all, I'd actually be thinking about buying some.

THAT'S really what I need to do, is sort of start over.  Mentally put myself in the place where if I didn't own any at all, which would I buy today?  Do my DD all over again.  Look at the charts all over again.  All with a fresh eye, one that doesn't know or care what I paid for them a few months ago.   Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.  No hurry.  With GDXJ under 34, I'm not selling.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
Check this out

Ginger wrote:

Hey All,

I need some feedback. I want to expand my basket of junior miners. I played musical miners over the past few months switching and swapping things around and I'm looking to add back to some positions and rebuy some that I stupidly stepped out of (Hello Impact!). There is a sale going on and I don't know how much longer the sale will last so I want to be in a position to buy over the next few days/weeks. I am typically a Buy & Hold sort....not the day trading sort....when it comes to my miners so I do want to add to my miners with that attitude in mind. Here are some miners I am considering and have done some DD on. Was wondering if any of you here would care to throw out anything you might know that would prevent you from buying these. All feedback is welcome and maybe it will help others who are doing their DD on some of these. (I currently have a basket of about 15 miners that do NOT include any of these ..I think I'm going to miss out though if I don't add some of these!)

Do You Like/Dislike...& Why?

Rye Patch (RPMGF)

Cream (CRMXF)

Sante Fe (SFEG)

Bullion Monarch (BULM)

Nautilus (NUSMF)

SilverQuest (SQIFF)

Impact (ISVLF)

Golden Predator (GPRXF)

Andover Ventures (AOVTF)

Amerigo Resources (ARREF)

ECU Silver (ECUXF)

Global Minerals (GMLFF)

New Pacific Metals (NUXFF)

Silver Predator (SVROF)

Tarsis (TARSF)

Aurcana Corp (AUNFF)

LexamVG (LEXVF)

Riverstone Resources (RVREF)

Mega Metals (MPRXF)

Kaminak Gold (KMKGF)

Orko Silver (OKOFF)

Tinka (TKRFF)

Avion Gold (AVGCF)

Northern Tiger (NTGSF)

Crocodile Gold (CROCF)

Wesdome Gold (WDOFF)

Eurasian Minerals (ESMNF)

Meadow Bay Gold (MBYCF)

Avino (ASGMF)

Timmins (TMGOF)

Levon (LVNVF)

Hondo Minerals (HMNC)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feel free to throw out other companies that you like who are not on my list!

I own these

Impact (ISVLF)

Golden Predator (GPRXF)

ECU Silver (ECUXF)

I have heard good things about these

Rye Patch (RPMGF)

Kaminak Gold (KMKGF)

Orko Silver (OKOFF)

Avino (ASGMF)

I want to own these

Silver Predator (SVROF)

Rye Patch (RPMGF)

Nautilus (NUSMF)

Kaminak Gold (KMKGF)

LexamVG (LEXVF)

The ones I own, I own because they have large properties and/or their resource estimations. If I am not mistaken South American Silver has some former people from Hecla and Nova Gold.

A couple of things to remember. Diversify by country for the properties. IE Mexico, US, Bolivia etc. People are important too. Check debt and cash on hand. Most of this info can be found in the quick reference sheet and the most recent corporate presentation. I also look to diversify in historic mining districts. Like the one that share property borders for Great Panther and Endeavour Silver. Also, like Zacatecas Mexico, Nevada, Alaska and the hot area the Yukon.

Golden Predator has property there. I think Northern Tiger does too. Kaminak is a Yukon play. Also, LexamVG is a Rob McEwen company. Pretty much anything he touches turns to gold. Goldcorp, US Gold, Rubicon, Minera Andes are all his companies too. Another guy that is like that is Pierre Lassonde. New Gold is his and Franco Nevada which is a royalty company. Plus, he was president of Newmont Mining. So, I try to find guys like that. An up and comer in the Yukon is a guy named Shawn Ryan. He has a company called Ryan Gold.

Also, see who owns it. I have heard that Pinetree Capital is highly regarded as an owner. And of course Mr. Eric Sprott. If he owns it, I will buy it. LOL.

The biggest thing to remember is "You can't kiss all the girls." That is what Doug Casey says. LOL. Meaning you can't own them all!

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Shawn Ryan

Shawn Ryan originally staked out the Kaminak Gold properties.  Anybody remember that New York Times article about Shawn Ryan a while back?  They talked about that one that Kinross bought out, and mentioned that Ryan had great properties nearby also.  It didn't mention the name, but eventually Kaminak took those.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Avino

There's a thread on Avino in the silver miners forums.

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/forum/avino-silver-gold-mines-asm/205

TheGoodDoctor
TheGoodDoctor's picture
Hat Tips: 11941
Kinross bought Underworld

Kinross bought Underworld Resources. I would like to read that article. Apparently Shawn Ryan has a ton of properties. Another one that has a huge tract of land in the Yukon that I own is Constantine Metal Resources.

“Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves.” Norm Franz

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Good Doctor

I'm sure I can find it.  I also found the news from Kaminak that said they optioned from Ryan.  I'll track them down and post them on this thread.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Kaminak

Here's the NYT article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/magazine/mag-15Gold-t.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Here's the snippet from page 7 that (I believe) applies to Kaminak.

"At Wood and Ryan’s cabin in Dawson, the roar of air transport was constant. Ryan was flying over a growing empire with confidence. Yet his latest assertion was so hard to believe that even Fleming, who had spent more than $10 million proving the deposits on the White, found it hard to credit. Ryan told him there was more than one mother lode.

The holes Underworld was drilling on the White showed a thick, concentrated deposit: a million and a half ounces in one small zone. This was not a long quartz vein, as in the California gold fields, but a well-defined pocket, a bubble of gold. Had it been closer to a creek, it would have all washed down and left nothing behind. Ryan was building evidence of a second huge deposit on a ridge only 20 miles away, but when Fleming looked at the data, he waved it off."

​Here's the news release from Kaminak.

http://www.kaminak.com/investors/news_releases/2009/index.php?&content_id=158

Ryan is mentioned in the part under "The Agreement".

The Agreement Kaminak can earn a 100% interest in the properties from Shawn Ryan of Dawson City, Yukon, subject to a 2% NSR in favour of the vendor. To earn its interest Kaminak will commit to an exploration budget of $250,000 for 2009 and issue Mr. Ryan an initial payment of 250,000 common shares of Kaminak and $75,000 cash. However, Kaminak is eligible for prospecting grants from the Yukon government and has submitted applications for refunds totalling $101,000.

And just for kicks, here is Kaminak's presentation, with all the maps and everything.

http://www.kaminak.com/_resources/may_2011_kam_presentation-opt.pdf

ginger
ginger's picture
Clubfoolish & jaj64, I keep

Clubfoolish & jaj64,

I keep hearing good things about Aurcana.. ..think that one will definitely make my cut. ..Hat Tips to you both for helping me out with that.. ...and for the video!

Eric-O,

I knew you'd send a little IMPACT tease my way ..you devildevil (ok..I just wanted to use that smiley ..hehee) ....But my impact-free days are almost over because I'm definitely adding that one back. ...And HOW could I forget to add Bralorne to my list!!!!blush ..Yes, yes......I remember you mentioning it a .....time or two. Actually, it is on my watchlist. The ones I listed above were just scribbled down in my journal. I have many more than those scribbled ones over in my electronic Scottrade watch list.  ...Bralorne gets added to my must-do-more-DD list.

I agree with you about maybe not selling your plays right now. Prices way too low! I actually think I started losing more money in my miners when I started swapping them around too much. I need to learn to 'be right and sit tight'.

By all means, start that larger cap miner thread when you can/feel like it. ..It would be very helpful. The larger caps that I have 'scribbled' down are: RIC, UXG, MFN, GG, EGO, EXK, PGZ, HL, GORO, AG, EXK, PSLV, SSRI, SLW, EGO, ANV, GFI ...and a few others. ....Not sure all of them qualify as 'large cap' ...but they all qualify as 'bigger than I can afford' at the moment. indecision ...Anyway, that is a thread that I would read with great interest to make notes of for when I can afford them.  ..Thanks as always Eric-O ..buddy.. pal.. :]

TheGoodDoctor! ..Your post was very helpful to me! ..And I'm sure to others as well. Really good tips on choosing miners. I wrote down several you mentioned that I did not have on my watchlist. THANKS so much! .......Oh...and your point about not being able to own them all is so true but it also begs the question (for me at least) ....is it better, in your opinion, to get a smaller stake in many companies or a couple of huge chunks in fewer companies?  ..Been wondering about what others think about this for sometime and this was a good place to ask it. ....Basically, I have limited fiat and am trying to decide if I want to just get a few hundred shares in more companies (such as the ones being discussed here) ..or a larger chunk of shares in fewer companies. ..Spread the risk is what I'm thinking .......thoughts? 

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
I'm always puzzled when you

I'm always puzzled when you say something like "bigger than I can afford".  Seriously, such a statement makes no sense to me.  I don't know what size of a position you are typically buying, but let's just say it's $1000.

$1000 is $1000 whether it's in 2000 shares of Teeny Miner, or whether it's 50 shares of Humungo Miner.  The # of shares is meaningless.  It's the $$ that matters.

ginger
ginger's picture
Eric-O..

Hmm. Well, that's an interesting way to look at it. All practical and everything.  :D

Ok. Well, it's like this. I guess I just think about it a little differently than you laid out. You say $1000 is $1000 and THAT IS TRUE... except.. say I only have $1000 to invest. I struggle with a thought process that goes something like this:

"Hey, I have $1K to invest;  ...Wait, do I want to get me 27 Franco Nevada shares at $36 per share ...or do I want to take a risk on a smaller cap miner...with potentially more upside...(notwithstanding more risk) and get, say maybe 1400 shares of Prodigy Gold at .70 share price?"  ...So, I guess when I say 'I can't yet afford' the larger cap miners it really isn't an accurate statement. Because you're right; It's not really a matter of being able to afford it because like you say $1K is $1K. The way I should phrase what I am really thinking is "Will my paltry $1K net me as good of a return potential buying into a large cap as it will buying into the potentially more explosive smaller cap miners". ...So. Your point is well taken. My main goal is to explode profits with these miners and at this point in time I feel that I can't afford to buy miners that are priced so high that I only can get a few shares. It's psychological I'm sure. But it feels like even a big move in the sp of 27 shares won't net nearly as much as a reasonable sp move in 1400 shares.

I will no longer say 'when I can afford the large caps'. Didn't mean to tick you off.

:D :D :D   lol.  ;)

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
No problem Ginger Not ticked

No problem Ginger

Not ticked at all. I can see we think differently about these things and neither of us is going to change, so I'll just stop bugging you about it. yes

Just realize that, by using this thought process, you are investing in pretty much all lottery tickets, and avoiding actual profitable producing companies.  As long you understand that, and that's what you want to do, then you totally have my support.

Ok, NOW I'll stop bugging you about it! :)

ginger
ginger's picture
In Other Words......

It FEELS like if you can ONLY afford 10 shares of something.... ......you really CAN'T afford it.

Maybe my thoughts on this stem from something I read early on. The writings were about building a mining portfolio and the writer suggested that if you didn't have a sizeable investment to make into the miners that you should stay away from them and buy physical only. I guess I adopted that thinking as I couldn't afford 'big miners' because I don't have a 'sizeable investment'. Hmmpfh.

You've got me thinking over here.

Prize Fighter
Prize Fighter's picture
Hat Tips: 3349
The only difference with a

The only difference with a higher priced stock is your ability to buy in lots of 100.  Because if you can't afford 100 shares you can't buy/sell "all or none" and may get a partial fill.  Not a big deal but really, that's the only difference.  Everything else is percentages.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Basket Of Miners ..Do You Like?"