ATB (America the Beautiful) 5 oz Silver Rounds

80 posts / 0 new
Last post
pink freud
pink freud's picture
Hat Tips: 1606
ATB (America the Beautiful) 5 oz Silver Rounds

Anyone collecting these?

These are my hedge, if tSH'sTF then I have silver, if everything comes out ok, then I have a highly collectable set of silver pucks.  This is the latest release... 

I have the bullion versions to date and the US Mint collectors editions.  The bullion versions are sold through the AP's (authorized purchasers) like APMEX. The Mint versions are sold directly through the mint at $285 per coin/round and will end up costing $15,675 (daaaaamn)  for 275 oz of silver.  There are only 27,000 of each one made so far for the Mint versions and the market dictates the bullion versions and have a much higher mintage.  

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09
Sterling
Sterling's picture
Hat Tips: 2826
Should have resized it

I'm working on a collection.  I have Glacier and Gettysburg.  I'm working on getting the first 3 that were released but they are hard to find for a decent price.  I guess I have the bullion and not the collector's (damn!)  Anyways it's all silver!

Can I offer you a drink? How about this expensive prostitute?

pink freud
pink freud's picture
 yes indeed  .999 fine

yes indeed  .999 fine :) 

There have been 8 released so far in the bullion, all the 2010's (5) and 3 2011's - Glacier,  Gettysburg and Olympic. You can sign up for the next one to be released 'Vicksburg' at APMEX with an 'alert me'

http://www.apmex.com/Product/62510/2011_5_oz_Silver_ATB_Vicksburg_National_Military_Park_MS.aspx

IMO The bullion versions are way cooler with the way they shine. On the other hand, the 27,000 mintage limit for the mint version, means that they will have a higher premium in the future.   So I get both. 

Im gonna have to sell some eagles to pay for it though lol

pink freud
pink freud's picture
 sorry about the big pic i

sorry about the big pic

i dont see an edit button for it

thecoloredsky
thecoloredsky's picture
Hat Tips: 1331
I was looking into the

I was looking into the Gettysburg since my Dad is a Civil War buff. Apmex had a good deal on them but I didn't want to National Park one (they came in a bundle). If people think they look great then I'll reconsider.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Try Provident

You can buy them individually.  I know APMEX won't sell them unless they are bought in a set.

http://www.providentmetals.com/2011-america-the-beautiful-5-oz-silver-coin-may-13th-gettysburg-national-military-park.html

pink freud
pink freud's picture
New release: Vicksburg  avail

New release: Vicksburg  avail to purchase now and is the  4th 2011 out of five and 1 to go, Chicksaw.

Also, The mint has set the date for the release of the last two 2010 pucks

06/29/2011

2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Grand Canyon National Park

07/28/2011 2010 America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Uncirculated Coins™ – Mount Hood National Forest

then maybe the five  2011's by the end of the year? 

Woody Mornings
Woody Mornings's picture
Hat Tips: 302
2011 P's

Do we know the mintage of 2011 P's yet?

pink freud
pink freud's picture
I haven't heard yet.  Anyone

I haven't heard yet.  Anyone else?

Im thinking less as the Yosemite(NP3) has not sold out as fast as the first two. Hopefully they lower the damn price. (dreaming)

HoggetowneHoedown
HoggetowneHoedown's picture
Hat Tips: 145
Beautiful Coins

I picked up a couple recently and bought the z5 airtites, but they are a little wide.  Great pieces to have around though; very unique.

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Well my will broke down today

Well my will broke down today and I bought an Olympic and pre-ordered Vicksburg.  Each under $200.  Pretty much a $1.00/oz (3%) discount today!

pink freud
pink freud's picture
cool design on the

cool design on the vicksburg

i just got off the phone w/ apmex and asked them how much they would pay for the collectors mint edition Hot Springs NP1. 

$185

wtf?

i felt the bile trickling up my esophagus

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Wow really?  I like apmex but

Wow really?  I like apmex but their buy prices always seem to be on the insulting side.  I wonder how many individuals sell to them.

Vypuero
Vypuero's picture
Hat Tips: 3999
Sterling

Everytime I read your post I hear Sterling Archer saying the words...

Sterling
Sterling's picture
That is freakin awesome!  You

That is freakin awesome!  You know, when I read my posts back after posting them, I sometimes hear him too.

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
I like

I have the Yosemite design as well. I got mine directly from the mint. Don't have any others or interest in buying more but I liked the design. I think the atb quarters are a ploy by the us mint to Segway out of ase production. By minting only 33k of these even at 5 oz each they use up less silver than trying to keep up with demand for eagles. Just my humble conspiracy theory though.

Ase production for 2011 is on pace to overtake all silver production from domestic mines here in a the us at 40million ounces. Ase's being just one product of the mint, anyone can see the problem they are facing.

Pablo
Pablo's picture
Hat Tips: 1053
Face Value

Does it freak anyone else out that this is a legal tender coin with a face value of twenty-five cents?

Sterling
Sterling's picture
Yes, it's the most expensive

Yes, it's the most expensive quarter that I've ever bought.  But it's shiny and pretty!

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
ATB 5oz

For the cost, the Mint variety are a very bad deal right now with the amount of silver in them and the premium you have to pay.  Will they be a collector item, only time will see.  However, it takes weeks to sell them out at the mint.  So, it appears the collector base is very small.  Mainly flippers who may get stuck holding a silver coaster.

Mudsharkbytes
Mudsharkbytes's picture
Hat Tips: 8519
Lucked out…

…and got a set of the first five for $935 when they came out.  They're nice coins and have a real mirror-like finish on them.

That being said, the only reason I got them was because of their scarcity coming out of the box.  I haven't bought any of the new ones released this year, at least not yet.  We've talked about eventually buying the entire set but since we're generally into stacking as much silver as we can for the fewest FRNs possible, most of our PM funds are used for silver with lower premiums, like junk or generic rounds.

It's interesting to follow the value of the initial set on eBay.  Even today there are some highly graded sets going for nearly $5000.00! Cheapest seems to be around $1300 for a set of ungraded coins.  Guess I should get ours graded eh?

No1Hunter
No1Hunter's picture
Hat Tips: 1324
Grading

"It's interesting to follow the value of the initial set on eBay.  Even today there are some highly graded sets going for nearly $5000.00! Cheapest seems to be around $1300 for a set of ungraded coins.  Guess I should get ours graded eh?'

I haven't seen any go for around $5,000 but I really having followed all the auctions or searched the completed auctions.  I know I have seen the PCGS PLMF 69 going for around $3,500 , which is the highest grade to date (with none expected to go higher & these were basically "cherry picked" from the monster boxes).  I would just leave them as is and hope they don't get the white spots of death.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "ATB (America the Beautiful) 5 oz Silver Rounds"