90% US Coins good investment? bad investment?

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
beatlebum19
beatlebum19's picture
Hat Tips: 89
90% US Coins good investment? bad investment?

So I recently abandoned buying silver rounds for the moment in favor of buying 90% US face value bags 10$/25$  my reasoning for doing this was if we will be using silver as actual currency for a while then the smaller amounts of silver would be easier to trade and barter with. On top of that it seems like Silver eagles are way over priced to me 6.99 over spot for the 2011's and 5.99 over spot for the prior years. So I also feel like I'm getting more silver for my fiat buck this way. I would love to have some feedback on this. I've only been in PM's for a few months so if I sound like a simpleton I apologize. 

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:09

Get your hands off my stack.

theworldhaschanged
theworldhaschanged's picture
Hat Tips: 99
junk silver is a great deal,

junk silver is a great deal, plus it is readily marketed on ebay and other trading sites. Highly liquid. Often junk silver commands a 10--15% premium over spot in the auction sites, especially if you sell wi th the auction ending on friday-sun.

Pax Argentum
Pax Argentum's picture
Real Money

theworldhaschanged wrote:

junk silver is a great deal...<snip>

Agree. Junk silver can be had from a variety of sources and is probably the very best way to 'get in' to the silver trade if you're of modest means or simply just want some actual unadulterated money in your hands.

Get a copy of the Red Book on U.S. Coins (available anywhere) so you know the percentages and years when our coinage was silver based and enjoy!

Pax

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
excellent choice You can't go

excellent choice

You can't go wrong with 90%

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

tmosley
tmosley's picture
Hat Tips: 14948
I like junks silver.  Not a

I like junk silver.  Not a pretty as other products though.  I hardly ever fondle it.

I have a one troy pound American Eagle silver round (NOT a coin) that I like to take out and spin on my desk.  Verrrry satisfying.

Cucamonga
Cucamonga's picture
Hat Tips: 581
Junk In Your Trunk

For a small-time schlub like me 90% is the way to go.  Since I've been dollar cost averaging through ebay I'm able to pick up smaller amounts without dropping a huge wad.  The ebay market seems liquid enough that I can pick a price and stick to it so that I typically am paying around spot for the coins.  The other reason I like 90% is the numismastic value that goes beyond the silver content so if spot drops there's still the rarity of the coin to keep value.  I second the recommendation on the red book its an excellent resource to learn about US coins.

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
Fondle

I fondle mine quite often.cheeky

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
thining of trading some ASE's for %90

My local dealer is actually trying to talk me into it. Because of the eagle premiums, I'll get much more physical silver content if I do some trading but I'm hesitant to do it because of what I guess we can call the fondle factor. I recently picked up a set of franklin half dollars, all in the leather binder and everything and the dealer just charged me spot and thre in the binder for free.

hey theworldhaschanged thats a good tip about selling on the ebay with auctions ending friday nights, makes sense. I've noticed when I buy on ebay I get sweet deals when there is some kind of even going on, like superbowl sunday or hollywood awards events.

SilverTree
SilverTree's picture
Hat Tips: 4521
its a good investment

Low prem with the 90%, I have nonesad

I have Eagles and APMEX 1, 5 and 10oz bars.

silverbleve
silverbleve's picture
Hat Tips: 2217
Also want to add

I love those peace dollars! The face on the morgan dollar looks fat, but on the peace dollar, lady liberty is so fine, i want to take her out to a nice seafood dinner, but I wouldn't let her fill up on bread.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
@SilverBleve

Actually I think the 90% coin has a pretty fine fondle factor.  You can get a pile of it and really run your fingers through it, won't hurt a thing.  I wouldn't do that with my Eagles.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
@SilverBleve

that's funny.  I prefer the Morgans.  that lady's got some meat on her bones!  Strong enough to pull a plow, I'm guessing.  Good for the other stuff too I bet.

Jake
Jake's picture
Hat Tips: 7806
Avoid Overly-Worn Coins

beatlebum19 wrote:

So I recently abandoned buying silver rounds for the moment in favor of buying 90% US face value bags 10$/25$  my reasoning for doing this was if we will be using silver as actual currency for a while then the smaller amounts of silver would be easier to trade and barter with. On top of that it seems like Silver eagles are way over priced to me 6.99 over spot for the 2011's and 5.99 over spot for the prior years. So I also feel like I'm getting more silver for my fiat buck this way. I would love to have some feedback on this. I've only been in PM's for a few months so if I sound like a simpleton I apologize. 

Junk silver is probably the best way to buy silver, IMO, if you receive coins that are not overly worn. Generally, $1000 face bags contain overly worn quarters (some horrible-looking standing liberty's) and old slick barber dimes. I have avoided generic bags since receiving about 20% crap in one bag from APMEX. I sorted them out and went to sell the worn coins to my dealer. He would only give me scrap prices i.e. 70%, as if it was sterling silver. As a result, I've focused on Kennedy Halves and AU Franklins as my dealer allows me to pick out coins from his junk silver bucket. Additionally, if he has quarters, I again pick out the best Washingtons. I think it's worth it to purchase better condition coins (no better than AU) as I'm seeing junk bought and sold by weight more often now.

Your Silver--I Want to Buy it! Sell Me Your Silver!

tread_w_care
tread_w_care's picture
Hat Tips: 3056
Why not

Posting again, maybe I ought to make a new thread for this link :)

http://the-moneychanger.com/commandments.phtml

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A9d%C3%A9ric_Bastiat

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Hat Tips: 2464
90% can usually be had from

90% can usually be had from local dealers for at or below spot if the guy is being fair to you.  Dimes are key.  The most divisible unit if you will.  Picture each 90% dime as a loaf of bread for you and your family in the future days.  Its recognizable and less likely to be faked than a round.   Only thing you have to watch out for are fake morgans.  I dont buy morgans though because they carry a premium that dimes quarter and halves do not.   Dimes are the best in my opinion.   Go all Mercury Dimes so there's not even a need to check the date if you ever need to "spend" it. 

Like my ideas? Check our blog at: http://backtobasicseconomics.blogspot.com/

HoggetowneHoedown
HoggetowneHoedown's picture
Hat Tips: 145
Gonna buy me some Mercurys and....

90% is how I started and you really can't go wrong.  There is a robust market for both buying and selling.  The Morgans have a great fondle factor although I'm a little partial to the Peace variety even the Mercury dimes.  They are very recognizable and the smaller denominations will be great to have when tshtf.  Imho coinflation has also made it very easy to obtain values.  And just think of the history you are holding in your hands.

ohiometalman
ohiometalman's picture
Hat Tips: 581
I switched over to 90% about

I switched over to 90% about 6 months ago for the same reasons as everyone else, the best way to add more silver to your pile at the lowest fiat cost.  Plus they are real cool to look at....I have some really nice Morgans back to 1878 and I always picture some gunslinger gettin' shot over it...you never no where it's been.

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
you never no where it's

"you never no where it's been."

EXACTLY!!  that's why, whether it's silver or gold, I always get a bigger kick out of the older coins.  I like to  think about the time and place that coin came from, the history, etc.  I wonder how many times it slid across the bar.  It's all just more fun that way. 

The new stuff that just came from the mint yesterday leaves me cold.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
If I could I would cover a

If I could I would cover a double king size bed in dimes and lay in them and toss them up in the air.  Then I would fill a vault with dimes and put a diving board on it and do a Scrooge McDuck swan dive into it.  When I surfaced for air I would spit out a few dimes that I accidentally swallowed for added effect.

lilbromarky1
lilbromarky1's picture
Like this:

Like this:

beatlebum19
beatlebum19's picture
Hat Tips: 89
Great responses

Thanks for all the useful information, The ebay tip was very awesome and I will have to get enough to do the coin dive for sure. I also quite enjoy going through thinking about where these coins have been. Gotta love that junk silver!!!

Get your hands off my stack.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "90% US Coins good investment? bad investment?"