15 posts / 0 new
Last post
mdcromer's picture
Hat Tips: 246

I decided about a month ago that the facts lead to hyperinflation and currency collapse.  So I've been busy acquiring some PMs with my available cash, stocking up on some supplies needed during a potential logistical breakdown, and discussing with close family and friends and trying to get them to purchase some PMs.

Now I'm just feeling depressed about my family's future, and especially my teenage kids.

Anyone have suggestions?  Take the blue pill?  :-)

Edited by admin on 11/08/2014 - 06:27
Captain Silver
Captain Silver's picture
Hat Tips: 758
You found the motherload of how to prepare info

Smile, you're now amongst friends.

Just prepare the best you can and rest knowing that you're better off than 99.9% of the population that doesn't even see it coming.

Our monetary system has been hijacked by morons! Abandon ship!!!!

mdcromer's picture
Thx Captain

I feel better already.

UGrev's picture
Hat Tips: 884
don't be depressed about

don't be depressed about stuff you cannot change. If you embrace it, you will do better than ANYONE who tries to beat it back. This ball is too big to hold just roll with it, brother..  know that it will go down hill and all you can do is make your landing softer by buying PM's, Food, protective equipment and other assorted preparations.. 

Eric Original
Eric Original's picture
Live for today

Live for today, man.

If you retreat into a gloom and doom shell, then you've brought armageddon into your home and upon your loved ones long before it even has manifested itself in the real world.

This isn't a metals blog anymore. It's a right wing circle jerk, masquerading as a metals blog.

Pining 4 the Fjords
Pining 4 the Fjords's picture
Hat Tips: 39534
The game remains the same...

One of the most significant things I learned when I really started researching 'collapse' in-depth was that it virtually never ends in "mad max". Take any truly major collapse in history- the Mayans, Romans, Myceneans, Weimar Germany- and there are people who make it through. Often, those who are well-positioned ahead of time actually thrive.

If you are like me, your primary goal is to get your family through, then to try and create the best quality of life you can for your kids... In other words, the goals are pretty much the same as now! I grew up a typical suburban kid, but now I do all kinds of things I never dreamed I would- own a tractor, can my own food, raise chickens, etc. I think that my kids will be better people helping with these things, learning skills I have had to acquire much later in life. So it may not be the life we envisioned for them, but it can still be a great, rewarding life.

Keep the faith, keep fighting, and know you are among friends.

prana's picture
Hat Tips: 579
basic skills

Pick up (or re-learn) basic skills: e.g. repair bicycles, making a fire, tying knots, building basic joints, pickling/canning seasonal vegetables, cooking over wood fire as opposed to microwave/electric hobs. Great bonding if you do it with the kids. Also therapeutic working with your hands, achieving small successes.

Even if you don't believe in Peak Oil, the reality of fossil fuels becoming too expensive is a reality staring us in the face. So think about all the things which we take for granted e.g. ready supply of shoes/clothes, water supply, ready-made foods. What happens when these are unavailable or too expensive to afford? Much healthier anyway to make your own.

Preparing now, getting the skill-sets will not only set your family up to be self-sufficient. You can also barter those skills (to less prepared neighbours) for food, services etc. You will be the only ones who know how to patch up shoes for example (stock up on rubber soles, yarn, grease, glue, nails, non-elecric drills, basics like that) Go to Chris Martenson's website, tons of prep resources. Go to Mike Ruppert's there's a worldwide map of fellow preppers. Read their stories and get strength + ideas from them. Find those near you. FORM A COMMUNITY and support each other. Start small. Set do-able targets. 

Also on Mike Ruppert's website you will find links to people like Carolyn Baker. They deal with the spiritual, emotional aspects of what is happening. We know about the stress of moving house, losing a job. What about losing the world we know? Yet those people approach the coming changes with so much optimism. Take this as a chance to CREATE something new.

Also go to Dimitry Orlov's website

Fantastic, realistic advice. he lived through the collapse of the Soviet Union. so he knows what is going to happen. I love best his anecdotes about the people who escaped Europe (running from Nazi's or from poverty) to reach USA. The immigrants who could not let go of their old lives in Ireland, Poland, Russia etc. never got going in USA. Always moaning that things were not like "home". Those immigrants who embraced the new world of America. They became the success stories in USA. So in this case although you are not going to another country, you are in a way "moving to a new world". so don't get stuck and pine for the past. Look ahead, embrace the unknown and make it your own future. 

ScottJ's picture
Hat Tips: 9197
Hang In there, many have been there

Hello mdcromer,

I have also come to the same realizations as you, along with countless other realities that are harder to live in this current age knowing.  Quite a dillema when you see those around you succumbing to the things that are causing the suffering we are trapped within as a world-wide society.

I have "been aware" of things for about 5 years, but everyday of late seems to be topping the level of consciousness I have previously experienced.  In getting to where I am today where I feel okay with handling all of this has taken a lot of self-induced pain on myself, in which those around me could not understand why I was mentally struggling.  Countless mood cycles in dealing with many of the unpleasant realities that we must face as individuals before we can face as a collective whole.  Those who are willing to look into the truth of the world and learn to live on a more fundamental basis will find themselves the leaders of the new age.  That is at least how I justify it to myself, to each his own... but it is a struggle getting there, hang in there.  Being a parent brings in a dynamic that I cannot begin to fathom, as me without many responsibilities currently it is hard enough.  Know that you are doing your family the greatest benefit that they are not even aware of.  Do not try to force things, but rather stand tight to your beliefs and let them speak for themselves as time plays out.  There is about to be a LOT of crazy things happening, and if you can keep yourself together and your head on your shoulders, you may find yourself in a unique time period to be alive.

If all of that doesn't ease your mind knowing that your experiences are completely normal and even healthy, then take a look at the opportunity that lies in front of your life.  Many generations have lived and been apart of the history of their times, but we are entering the time period in which is the inflection point for the future of humanity.  This is out of our control, and being alive during this transition into a spiritual awakening of man is not to be handed without a lesson.  If life has felt good and the realization of it never being the same bothers you, look towards the people who have been suffering and never had the chance to experience life in the ways that we as individuals may have had in our life.  Slavery is not gone from the world, and it supports the fake economic system we have been lead into.

We are living in arguably the greatest event in the history of human civilization, as the people are about to come face to face with those create the reality we know as "life."

Your empathy is a gift, harnass it.

Scott J

Take everything in moderation, including moderation~

Strongsidejedi's picture
Hat Tips: 11801
What kinda action? (Kelly's Heroes music video)

mdcromer's picture
Thx all.  Some really sound

Thx all.  Some really sound advice here.

Plan B
Plan B's picture
Hat Tips: 46
On the bright side ...

mdcromer wrote:
... and especially my teenage kids.

Don't know your situation vis a vis the kids, but one positive aspect of collapse is that they won't be sucked into this college trap (unless they have technical specialties to pursue). They can actually use the time and energy to learn useful skills, and they won't be debt slaves for life as a result of their college 'education.'

Shill's picture
One day at a time

It happens, I too have 2 teenage daughters 14, and 18 and worry for their future as well. But I also include my children in on what I am doing...who, what where and when.... They are strong individuals and very independent., I am grateful for that, great shooters as well and they love the range time when time allows :). I guess the point is only you can teach them, keep at it even if you feel ignored, give them something too notice, I don't know,how about how many Nickels do you actually get in a day? Not many try it you will see, Nickel is precious :) anyway your already ahead of the crowd don't try to save the world save who is close to you everyone else, well you gave it your best shot. Told YA so.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers.

MB's picture
Hat Tips: 16
Call me crazy, but "knowing"

Call me crazy, but "knowing" things are going to fall apart this year, I am going to take a trip for 2 weeks and Surf Tavarua, Fiji.  For those that do not know Tavarua is the best wave in the world and the pinnacle surf spot in the world.  It is not cheap and not easy to get to, but like climbing Everest for a climber.  Once that is out of the way, I am getting my shit together and going to hunker down for a while.  It could be a few years until things fall apart, but maybe, just maybe things will not be as bad as they could be.  Right now, I am going to live my life and enjoy.

Seacap81's picture
Hat Tips: 512
I'm depressed NOW, but

I'm depressed NOW, but absolutely stoked about the future following the economic collapse.  We all might be poor and struggling, at least at first, but we will be rich in FREEDOM and LIBERTY.  And under those freedoms this country will rebuild, innovate, invent, create, and prosper as never before.  America has not known true freedom in quite some time.  Free market capitalism has been dead for a generation, maybe two.  The people have grown weary and beaten down from Government growth and intrusion and it's damn nose poking everywhere into it's business.  The collapse will break everyone, but more importantly it will break the Government and it's accompanying bonds on the people.  Everyone will owe nothing to banks and governments.  Those who are hard workers will prosper.  Those with precious metals will prosper.  But those who have precious metals and a great work ethic will be Kings.  Prepare yourself to prosper in the time to come and be prepared to help others because you will have unlimited resources to do so.  

magis00's picture
Hat Tips: 413

Just wanted to revisit this thread, because I read an article that lifted me up.  Not surprisingly, I like this site very much. (h/t Shill?)  

The Two Coming American Revolutions

"Recently there have been a lot of very slick documentaries attacking Wall St,The Federal Reserve,Debt,Housing Bubble,Corporate Greed,Wars,Outsourced Jobs and Big Oil. All of these documentaries are stunning attacks at the very real problems our country is facing. For the most part there is nothing to argue against. We are going down the wrong road and there is a group of Elite that are absolutely gutting America and raping the world for their own personal profit and power.The problem is,for the most part,these documentaries don’t offer a solution,only an attack on “Capitalism.”This Anti-Capitalism or Collectivism Revolution seeks to paint a broad brush and label all Capitalism as evil. In reality the kind of Capitalism we have today has nothing to do with the Free Market Capitalism that made America great. Our Capitalism today is a Collectivist monster that is better described as Crony Capitalism,Crisis Capitalism,State Capitalism,Corporate Capitalism,Gangster Capitalism or Mercantilism."

"When the American Empire collapses,we will face two paths. We will either fall into another Dark Ages where fear and terror reign. Or we will have another Renaissance where ideas and freedom are cherished.  Just like the American and French Revolutions,the key for our society,will be what do we stand for and not as much what we are against."

I forget that we don't know how this will turn out - - gramatically speaking, it's just as likely to be the Renaissance as it is a Dark Ages.  Practically speaking . . . that might get me depressed, again.  Happy Wednesday all!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Topic locked
Syndicate contentComments for "Depressed"