Situational Awareness

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joseph Warren
Joseph Warren's picture
Hat Tips: 10010
Situational Awareness

I found this YouTube video & it's channel recently. Good information for anyone who insists in having a prepared body & mind -

AngryCitizen
AngryCitizen's picture
Hat Tips: 768
Good Education, JW

I'm betting "victim" is law enforcement, present or past. Did just about everything correctly and then stood there and phoned "a friend" about it, while positioned to see the whole environment & behind the perp. Also had concealed holster which was very accessible, with a round already chambered, and maybe the safety was even off. Just about textbook response, and definitely practiced more than a bit. This guy's very comfy in the routine we see here, as there's no hesitation on the response that I can see.

Some say that it's only stuff, ($, etc.), so give it up and comply, but you just don't know where the crime(s) will end in the environment we have today. In addition, we don't know what perp said to "victim" while robbing him, but perp was definitely pointing gun at him and it was enough to give "victim" cause to comply without question, and appear to run so that perp was satisfied (at least momentarily), and refocused on stuff he wanted.

Interesting that perp picked a guy for the target with all the options he had...Looked like he had target selected as he entered... Tough to call. Maybe "windowed"  targets before entering. Why choose a guy? Maybe they were acquainted/saw $ earlier on target & followed? Perp did interesting L hand gesture/touch to target's head as he presented his request. If perp knew target carried, perp probably would not have been there. Perp talked loud enough to draw attention from 3 bystanders almost before perp stopped moving, so might have said something that prompted "deer in headlights" reaction from them all.

Again, great education! Situation awareness and a little training can save lives. Would like more if you have time.

AC

Frodo: "I wish it need not have happened in my time," Gandalf: "So do I. And so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." J.R.R. Tolkien (1892 - 1973) The Fellowship Of The Ring

sierra skier
sierra skier's picture
Hat Tips: 2002
The guy did good.

The only thing I saw that might have been an issue was when he scanned back behind him after he was sure he had stopped the threat. He had his support arm stretched out. I have been trained to keep my support against the body or supporting the firearm so as not to have it possibly in the way of fire.

His response was quick and decisive, his after action drill good and after he had  verified the robber was out of the picture he pulled his cell phone to call the authorities I assume. His response and tactics were about as good as can be expected.

Situational awareness, carrying oneself with confidence and being prepared to act are all helpful for ones safety. There have been a number of times when my wife and I were 'downtown' and getting cased on very quiet streets. Situational awareness, confident posture/body language and eye contact helped keep any thoughts of us being easy marks out of their minds. Of course I was armed and my wife even asked me if I was packing once she noticed we were being cased out.

It has been a while since I have done much training and I should likely fall back into that habit more often as these are all perishable skills that need to be maintained for best effect.

Joseph Warren
Joseph Warren's picture
Hat Tips: 10010
The Good Guy had training . . .

that's obvious from the video. Could be a cop, but I wonder about that since he used the civilian woman between himself and the bad guy to conceal his movement. Not saying this was a bad thing; he was there at ground level and determined that he could get the drop on the bad guy and take him out. But I wonder if a cop would use such a move. But again, he was the guy on the scene with only seconds to think & act.

What's also interesting is the large number of negative votes of the video. What the hell is <that> about ?  Do some think "He didn't have to shoot him".  If so, that 'thinking' is bull. Once the bad guy pulled the gun, everyone in that area was subject to a lethal threat.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Syndicate contentComments for "Situational Awareness "